Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-24-06, 02:26 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tidal River Summer Patterns

Just thought I'd get some opinions from some of the more experienced fishermen on summertime patterns found on tidal water.

Main river or feeder creeks?

Main river or feeder creek wood? or rock/rip rap?

Main river grass beds or feeder creeks?

Pads or SAV?

Laydowns or dock pilings?

Recently we've been catching decent limits on creek channels grass edges flipping T-rigged plastics and other techniques. I'm consistanty able to find 10-12 lbs in the creeks but need to find one or two bigger fish to finish higher (in the $$). I'd like to get some good discussions going on some of the finer points for fishing rivers and lakes.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 07-24-06 at 02:38 PM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 03:55 PM   #2
Rodman_Rob

when waters are rising, fish the newly flooded cover/structure as bass will be feeding on new food sources. while waters are falling they tend to hold to deeper/offshore structure to protect themselves from getting beached.
Old 07-24-06, 05:07 PM   #3
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker
I'd like to get some good discussions going on some of the finer points for fishing rivers and lakes.
Thought I'd go a little deeper than that. Although it would be a good discussion, "Do bass actually move up on high tide to feed on tidal rivers?" and "What type of food and cover would draw big fish up?".
Old 07-24-06, 05:13 PM   #4
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i don't fish tidal as much as i used to when i fished tourneys.the only tidal waters i like are the delaware river and the hudson river.
fished a cove on the delaware in a tourney and had a great pattern.seems the fish didn't care what the tide was doing,they were always on the first little dropoff.i was getting them on spinnerbaits.another guy in my club saw what i was doing so he started doing it using soft plastics.we finished 1,2....he beat me by 2 ounces???????
Old 07-24-06, 05:37 PM   #5
3dkicker

That first little drop or edge sounds like a good starting point. Must have been something else there to hold them. What type of cover was on the edge? Rock, wood, or grass? Did you notice that the bait fish were being forced out of creeks or cuts?

I've fished the Hudson but not the Delaware. Very different body of water compared to the Potomac but similar in some ways to the James.
Old 07-25-06, 10:37 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Default Potomac un-locked for you

OK it is a simple equation for feeder creeks.
Tide low: fish are just off structure holding in deeper water. That may be three feet or eight. Bite will be determined by cloud cover and barometer.
Tide incoming: fish will move up to edges and begin feed and as tide opens paths back into pads and woods fish will follow. Big fish will find a hole back in woods or grass or pads to layover during tide change.. That is where your big fish are over five pounds.
Tide high and topped out: fish will be found as far back as your boat will allow and then some. Hunting frogs small snakes and shad.
Tide outgoing: Smaller fish will move back to creek edges and feed in the process. The big fish will find a hole in the structure to lay in wait for that mouse or frog. They will push out smaller fish for the hole.

Main river is totally different.
Low tide: Good luck even clouds and barometer only help a little.
Incoming tide: Fish turn and move up water column to catch schools of bait off points.
High tide: Once topped out they get tough to locate but can be found at the flooded edge of grass beds or dock walls. Pillings are best at high tide.
Out going tide: Same as incoming tide. Except bite last much longer. Fish move down column and can be the best fishing ever. Deep cranks like 20+ can produce large bass all though the change. Go with deeper diving baits as tide drops. Or even a heavy jig at the end of the tide run.

Thats the Potomac in a nutshell.

Capt Mike
Old 07-25-06, 01:45 PM   #7
3dkicker

Good stuff Capt!!! Real good stuff I'm glad you shared this with everyone.
What do you think about the small feeder creeks that don't have anywhere for the big fish to hide at low tide??? You know the ones with no water on the flats. They stay out of those creeks altogether or just sit out on the edges with all the little guys?
Old 07-25-06, 04:26 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker
Good stuff Capt!!! Real good stuff I'm glad you shared this with everyone.
What do you think about the small feeder creeks that don't have anywhere for the big fish to hide at low tide??? You know the ones with no water on the flats. They stay out of those creeks altogether or just sit out on the edges with all the little guys?
I think the big ones will not be there. Unless they are in transit.. The truly big fish are deep in the thick of it or in the main river deep water ledges and edges. The big main river fish go from deep to suspended and back. Just enough to catch shad and herring..

Capt Mike
Old 07-25-06, 04:30 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Let me add one thing.. a feeder creek without cover is just a highway for all fish. If a big one uses the highway through a tide cycle more than likely he wil starve to death. The buck bass will beat him to the bait each time. He needs a hold up area and to use very little energy for food aquisition..

Capt Mike
Old 07-25-06, 05:48 PM   #10
3dkicker

Let's just say when it's low tide in some of the smaller creeks that there isn't but 6" of water on the flats that are covered in grass or pads. Not any deep water or holes for the bigger fish to hide in on the flats. I have picked up fish over 4lbs out of the channels though. And most of these small creeks do have deep holes at the mouth, 7-12'+, or 5-7' channel bends. The grass edges and laydowns do provide eddies for the fish and bait to hide in. But then again I've never caught real big fish in these creeks.
I like the fact that I have to think this through. I appreciate your thoughts on this. Wish we could get some more input. Anybody fishing tidal water catch really big fish (5+) in small feeder creeks in the summer or just on main river cover or big creeks that have deeper water and more low tide cover?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.