Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-15-09, 09:41 AM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Just really noticed this

which makes perfect sense to me when you think about it.

The pros all seem to jerk fish out of the water right into the bottom of the boat not the deck...They almost always let the fish down in the bottom..Hook Swing Drop I like I will use this more instead of dishing them out of the water ...EXCEPT the BIG-IN'S

Later Will
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 12:09 PM   #2
BassinBandit

My only problem with doing is that I cant see if the hook is in good or not, Those guys can do that (course you may be able to do that good as well). My partner and I just net everything unless we know it is too small to keep. I did put a fish in the boat like that one time but thats just because it was that small and I did it on the hook set.
Old 03-15-09, 12:25 PM   #3
Tennessee

Default Hey

Devon,

Sometimes nets are not allowed in tourneys..This would be the main reason for just picking the fish up that way!!

Later Will
Old 03-15-09, 12:28 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I learned the hard way in tournament fishing about swinging them in the boat. Back then everyone was using the net, and the mere mention of having a "no net" tourney freaked out most of the club...since then I lip all of them unless its a dink when out fun fishing..
The middle of the boat by the console is usually the deepest part of the boat, a good place to let the fish flop around till you can get the hook out.
Ever lift the live well and see a bass jump out? Some are spunky!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 12:30 PM   #5
OrygunBasser

This technique has been a problem with me from the first time I ever saw anyone in a tournament do it. I have over the years seen pro's actually lose a tournament from doing that exact same thing. If you think that it can't happen to you you have another thing coming. It's just plain dumb, stupid and hard on the fish if you want to go that far. Use a net, lip the fish or go home. You are not KVD or Mike Iconelli any other fool that lands a fish that way in a touirnament. You need every available thing on your side in a tournament and that is strictly not an option.

This just MHO and it's really how I feel!!!!
Old 03-15-09, 12:38 PM   #6
Tennessee

Default Hey

Devon,

Sometimes nets are not allowed in tourneys..This would be the main reason for just picking the fish up that way!!

Later Will
Old 03-15-09, 01:14 PM   #7
Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
This technique has been a problem with me from the first time I ever saw anyone in a tournament do it. I have over the years seen pro's actually lose a tournament from doing that exact same thing. If you think that it can't happen to you you have another thing coming. It's just plain dumb, stupid and hard on the fish if you want to go that far. Use a net, lip the fish or go home. You are not KVD or Mike Iconelli any other fool that lands a fish that way in a touirnament. You need every available thing on your side in a tournament and that is strictly not an option.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it…but calling someone a fool for the way they land their fish is wrong. I have boated my share of fish and I have never had a fish die from me swinging it in the boat or on the deck….My post was a statement about how they all seem to swing fish to the bottom of the boat by the console

If swinging fish is damaging fish then I need to stop fishing all together cause God knows jerking them suddenly out of the water with razor sharp hooks and admiring them for a few moments then releasing them back would be way to cruel..This is just how I feel and just my opinion

Later Will
Old 03-15-09, 01:41 PM   #8
Love of the Sport

From watching my boat mate do this I see there is actually a technique going on. He doesn't try to do it every time but only when the fish is coming up fast he uses the fishes momentum and just follows through with it. Really the fish is jumping into the boat, he just uses the rod to guide its direction.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 05:02 PM   #9
Tall

Some of the pros will tell you if it has two set of hooks in it (crank/jerk etc.) they will swing it. If only one set of hooks they will lip it, while others want it in the boat as quick as possible. A rule some go by is the two set of hooks in it to swing it.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 05:21 PM   #10
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it…but calling someone a fool for the way they land their fish is wrong.
Later Will
I figured I would get nailed for that comment, I suppose I should have just said "Foolish" as It would not have been taken so strongly. You cannot allways tell when a fish is hooked well and sometimes when you think it is, the hook will tear out when you put that much preasure on them. When there is that much money laying on the line and winning or losing is just by onces sometimes, there is never any excuse for landing a fish that way. It's just "Foolish" IMHO!!!

All I meant by it not being good for the fish was just that banging them around on the floor of the boat, against the windsheilds, bouncing them off the consoles and flailing around on outdoor carpet can't be too good on them.
Old 03-15-09, 05:22 PM   #11
Bassboss

Dose make scene! If you do it on the casting deck than if it get unhooked, and dropped, it won't fall back into the water!
Old 03-15-09, 05:46 PM   #12
swimbaitkid

I swung a fish the other day and when I swung it the line broke, the shakyhead fell out his mouth, hit the stearing wheel and bounced into the bottom of the boat, all i said was it was ment to be
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 07:10 PM   #13
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah i have seen a fish jump out of the livewell and flop back into the lake and i have seen people try to swing em and they brake..... i have seen videos where they will slide upon the railin of the boat and then fall back into the water after the hook comes out on the swing

they do it because: no nets allowed in elite, quicker, and if its small they gonna cull it....

they lip the bigger ones
Old 03-15-09, 07:32 PM   #14
swimbaitkid

Gary clein lost a Classic because of swinging a fish that didn't make it all the way into the boat
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 09:12 PM   #15
Basscrazie

Quote:

I must be stupid cause it is much faster and easier to flip a fish in with the right line and rod.You just get the fish swimming to the boat and as he is close and comes up i just swing em in and i can't remember losing a fish to this.If it is a fish over 3 or so and i got the time to get down then i will..Now light line and wimpy rod you can not do this with success.
My opinion only,i think using nets is cheating and i hate having stuff laying around in the boat like a net.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 09:25 PM   #16
OrygunBasser

Well, this ain't Burger King, but I will sing the song anyway!!!

Music HAVE IT YOUR WAY, HAVE IT YOUR WAY!! Music

But someday you'll pay!!!!

I honestly do not care one way or the other, It's kinda like my signature at the bottom of this post. You might think that because I say this I keep a lot of fish, but I don't keep any! Everyone has the right to what they believe! So far, this is still America!!!
Old 03-15-09, 09:30 PM   #17
Basscrazie

I never keep bass and when the day comes that i lose a fish then so beit..I do think it is much easier and faster way to get the fish in the boat..Hey,give it a try you might like it.
Old 03-15-09, 09:31 PM   #18
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

we've thrown them all back this year so far.. we kept two though.. and my grandparents loved the great bass dinner
Old 03-15-09, 10:00 PM   #19
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham
Thumbs down

I personally do not see a problem with swinging a fish into the boat. Not having a net in the boat isnt a problem at all, swing em in there!!! if you go through the motions right you shouldnt lose a fish anyway. If you set the hook as your supposed to, you should be able to helicopter a bass around your head if you wanted to, that is if your rod will handle it. Swinging a fish onto the deck imo isnt the smartest thing because they can flop out much easier if you dont get a handle on it.
Quote:
It's just plain dumb, stupid and hard on the fish if you want to go that far. Use a net, lip the fish or go home.
please explain why it is "dumb" and "stupid"... is it because you dont like to do it or what? if you have a 3 pound fish and no net why would you let the fish sit on the top of the water while you break your back trying to reach down into the water? wouldnt that be foolish, that is a little time consuming and if your in a tournament time needs to be on your side.
Quote:
You are not KVD or Mike Iconelli any other fool that lands a fish that way in a touirnament.
And unless you are the up and coming highest paid proffesional bass fisherman in the world with all under your belt such as KVD how could you call what he or IKE does foolish? im not sure what anyone else thinks, but it looks like its workin pretty good for them.

Last edited by bingham; 03-15-09 at 10:34 PM.
bingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 11:02 PM   #20
Basscrazie

Thats right Bingham.Thanks for da input.
Old 03-15-09, 11:05 PM   #21
Chargepro
BassFishin.Com Member

I been swingin fish of years. When i started fishin Tx's it was No Nets Allowed so i never started using them. Lip or Swing works for me.
Old 03-16-09, 12:01 AM   #22
OrygunBasser

OK, I apologize for my comments, they actually were not intended to be so strong but after rereading them I can see why several of you would say what you have said. Dumb and stupid are pretty strong words! I won't do it but like i said earlier, to each his own.

I only know that if I had $200,000 on the line it would be a cold day in H*ll that I would swing a fish!!!!!
Old 03-16-09, 12:09 AM   #23
Tennessee

Quote:
OK, I apologize for my comments, they actually were not intended to be so strong but after rereading them I can see why several of you would say what you have said. Dumb and stupid are pretty strong words! I won't do it but like i said earlier, to each his own.

I only know that if I had $200,000 on the line it would be a cold day in H*ll that I would swing a fish!!!!!
No sweat here brother man...I just raised to pick your ground and stand on it that's all..The great thing about AMERICA we can all do what we want when we want..

Later all is well in the pond
Old 03-16-09, 01:21 AM   #24
WTL

A few comments;

The only fish I swing into the boat are those so small that I can afford to lose them, and I swing them pretty much to my hand or the front deck.

I dislike the noise a fish thrashing on the floor of an aluminum boat makes.

I try not to do anything that can harm a fish if I can help it, and I think making a fish flop on its side (where it can rub off its slime coating or get hooked worse) is something to avoid.

If the line is light or the the fish abnormally large there is no guarantee you wont break it. My favorite rod has such a light slow action I couldnt swing a 4 pound bass if I wanted to. Might actually break the rod.
Old 03-16-09, 01:28 AM   #25
CCbass

I'm not sure about the technique but a DFG study years ago came to the conclusion that 99% of bass caught in a tournement suvived. I'm sure alot of those fish ended up banging and flopping on the deck of a boat. Just my thoughts.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.