Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-18-09, 04:03 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default The tried and the true ?

Okay I have not been on this sight to long but through looking at the posts how many people on here fish the tried and the true. By that I mean lures you have used for years and still catch fish on regaurdless of what the new fade is. Yes there have been advances through the years but to me the tried and true still catch alot of fish. They stop making colors of a bait, or a shape of a bait that has worked, we are fisherman we will lose baits. I think companies need to have an old school line of lures come out, isn't there a saying "whats old is new".
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 06:15 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I smell what you're cookin/ but I have all those old lures in my tackle box from yesteryear, and many where my favs. However todays tackle is much more realistic in its paint jobs and actions, and availability...plus its exciting to see new items catch fish..sure its all marketing through sponcers of winning anglers that we see on tv, but hasn't it always been that way?
I tend to reach for the new stuff.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 10:25 AM   #3
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with jb....like the new or farily new swimbaits.....great action, good colors and man do they catch some fish....alot of fun.....
Old 03-18-09, 10:37 AM   #4
mont_lunker_hunter

I agree with the last two comments. However, the ole' jig and pig is NEVER not on a rod in my boat.
Old 03-18-09, 01:46 PM   #5
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_lunker_hunter View Post
I agree with the last two comments. However, the ole' jig and pig is NEVER not on a rod in my boat.
Absolutly, Also, when I learned to fish jigs we always used a 6" curltail worm for a trailer and it still works today! Try it, it is a little different look to the fish.

I also never go out without the old tried and true brush hog!
Old 03-18-09, 02:15 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah sometimes the old stuff is the best.... had some hard time catchin fish threw the good ole texas rig and caught em..... sometimes the old, overlooked stuff is the best
Old 03-18-09, 02:29 PM   #7
Bassboss

Yup! If it catches fish then, than it should catch them today!
Old 03-18-09, 03:25 PM   #8
flfireman

Maybe not as much old brands. But tried and true bait types. I have always used a worm, a frog, spinnerbait and rattle trap. The brands and colors have changed over the years but not the actual bait. Yes some get upgraded and paint schemes become more realistic, but the original action is still the same. Yeah, I buy new stuff also, baits are made to catch us and fish.
Old 03-18-09, 03:47 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

When I go fishing, I will throw a Zoom 6" lizard, and a Bass Assassin 5" soft jerk bait. They are what you could call my specialty. One or the other, they have never let me down.
Old 03-18-09, 04:41 PM   #10
hookset on 3

Uncle Josh trailers on jigs and spinnerbaits. Slug-gos for soft jerkbaits.Mann's sting ray grubs-white in 2 inch for smallies in Maine or New Hampshire.
hookset on 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 10:06 PM   #11
bamabassman

i agree that there needs ot be an "old style lures" company. i love the mann's grape jelly worm, but i have to order them now. they ain't on the shelf in most tackle shops anymore. and then there are a few other baits i used to use that are hard to come by. don't ask the names of em, can't remember,lol. but i would try them again if i knew where they were. but i tend to buy some of the new stuff now more than the tried and true, it's just the monkey getting me i guess. we are all just fodder for him anyway,lol. shiny color schemes and all really draw us like light does a skeeter.
Old 03-19-09, 12:34 AM   #12
Rebbasser

Look at it this way-an old lure may not have been seen by a "younger" fish so what is old is new again.
Old 03-19-09, 02:10 AM   #13
CCbass

My favorite lost bait is the Mann dancer, it was a spook type bait but had a raised fin on the top. It was the loudest top water ever, you could here it from 30 yards away. I actually lost it twice to fish on the hook set, they jumped after and it came lose and I went and got it. Then someone stole my tackle boxes and it was gone forever, I still miss it.
Old 03-19-09, 12:48 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Maybe they will jump after they have been hooked with it, and you will get to do the removal CC. I can't stand a thief, rant off.
Old 03-19-09, 01:51 PM   #15
aikenyounggun

maybe someone should start a business just to bring back all the stuff you guys are talking about.... every fishermen wants something to come back
Old 03-19-09, 01:58 PM   #16
Raul

You donīt need to purchase the latest, newest or hottest to be successful, do I buy it ? oh yes ! I love to purchase tackle, but that doesnīt mean I always fish it.

Of what I own 95% of it has never touched the water. As long as you stick to the basic bait type you will catch fish, it doesnīt matter if itīs new or decades old, what catches the fish ( aside from the fisherman ) is the bait type.

So "new" is not really THAT new.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 03:27 PM   #17
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_lunker_hunter View Post
Although the jig n pig is an old bait the ones you find today are much different than the ones that were sold 15 years ago. I recently tossed out some of my old jigs due to the fact that the hung up more, had very small hooks, poor weed guards, and horrible skirts that melted. And they weren't specific to the different types of cover that I fish. The jigs I use today are much better, don't get hung up as much in very heavy cover, have much better hooks and skirts.

An old bait that is new and improved.
Old 03-21-09, 04:02 AM   #18
CCbass

Exactly my point, old school yet new at the same time, bigger hooks, sharper hooks, and at the same time the same action and color. Evolve from what we started with, and now 30 years or so later give us honed versions of the past instead of stuff that goes far past our roots. Bass have not changed over the years, we as fisherman have, thinking we must one up them when if fact the tried and true still catches them. Are we the fools or are they, is marketing making them smarter or us dumber, just a thought.
Old 03-21-09, 05:35 PM   #19
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Look at it this way-an old lure may not have been seen by a "younger" fish so what is old is new again.
agreed... good thinkin
Old 03-21-09, 06:11 PM   #20
Jim80

the tried and true for me is a senko though it may be a newer bait it has always produced or the pnj .

Jim
Old 03-22-09, 10:33 PM   #21
Gentleman4561
BassFishin.Com Member

I will always toss out my old texas rigged worm or a silver 4 inch rapala
Gentleman4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 01:51 PM   #22
aikenyounggun

welcome Gentleman4561....

yeah stuff evolves and gets sharper hooks, better skirts, but its still the basic idea that catches fish
Old 03-25-09, 02:19 PM   #23
bassnman30

I fish probably two or three times a week and whether I catch a couple of fish on bait I just mark then I know it's a good tournamet bait and then I put away.
Old 03-25-09, 03:54 PM   #24
mont_lunker_hunter

The color schemes now days is what's so cool...not to mention custom paint jobs. I also agree that new jigs are better, but it's still a jig...they didn't re-invent the wheel.

How many of us know an old school guy who throws baits he's had since the depression and will kick our a$$ with it? I know a couple of them.

For me, like others have mentioned, i'm an impulse shopper. Most of what I own never gets wet.

Raul...have to disagree with you on your comment about "As long as you stick to the basic bait type you will catch fish, it doesnīt matter if itīs new or decades old, what catches the fish ( aside from the fisherman ) is the bait type."

There are many examples where one brand of bait (same color, running depth, ect.) will simple out fish another.

Last edited by mont_lunker_hunter; 03-25-09 at 04:01 PM.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 10:52 PM   #25
slimbo
BassFishin.Com Member

i,m oldschool, all i fish is jigs....... if it aint broke dont fix it
slimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.