Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-19-09, 02:28 PM   #1
OrygunBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Share unusual techniques!

I have one that has paid off big on several ocations over submerged grass flats all year long.

There are lots of fish in these mass grass flats and sometimes they do not want faster moving baits.

What I do:

On a spinning rig, meadium 6 1/2' rod, 10# Mono with a 10# floro leader. I don't like Floro spooled on a spinning rod if I am working something almost weightless. A #2 wide gap hook. But befor I tie on the hook, I slip a meadium sized Corky on first.

What's a "Corky"???? Well, you steelhead fishermen knew what I was talking about right off, but for those that do not know, they are a round piece of cork that has been coated with a thin film of plastic and painted any number of colors with a hole through the middle. I use a bright floresent color of what ever you like. Bright green or orange is fine.

I then peg the corky with a toothpick so I can slide the corky up the line at the depth I want just above the weeds. This corky will not float the bait, but when it starts to sink, you know that the bait is down where you want it. When the bait sinks, I lift the rod a little, just enough to raise the bait a foot or so.

As to the bait, I really like to use a 4" Robo worm or a 4" Senko type bait. Wacky works good for this presentation. You can use the corky as a bite detector also. Sometimes it will just "Tick" a little.

Try this sometime, I think you will like it!
Old 03-19-09, 02:50 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks! Sounds great!

Well I dunno if this is what you would call unusual, but when I fish grass mats I'll some times tack a senko or zoom finesse worm and add a nail to the end. When you cast right up along the edge of the mat it drifts down under the mat... right to the bass! Works great when the bass are not ative and won't come from under the mat to get the worm!
Old 03-19-09, 03:44 PM   #3
TravisRush

I have used this before Orygun! It definitely does work well for something of a new look...
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 05:11 PM   #4
bamabassman

sounds good pal. post apic of this for us ok?
Old 03-19-09, 05:40 PM   #5
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's another senko technique. Try using a 1/4 oz. ball head and threading the senko on like a grub. It works very well with the 4" ones. I like the daquiri color, it looks like a baitfish. Try fishing it deep over rocky bottoms for smallies and largemouth.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 07:10 PM   #6
keithdog

I don't know how unusal this is but here goes. Often when using soft plastics and jigs, I'll cast up onto shore a couple feet from the bank and slowly crawl the lure back into the water, making it look like a living creature entering the lake. The first time I did this, it was an accident after overcasting onto the bank. I reeled my jig back into the water and Kabam! I got hit hard by a nice bass sitting a couple feet from shore. I've done this often with pretty good success.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 07:21 PM   #7
JB

Thats a great way to work over grass when you avoid getting junk on your hook and also you just know the bass are hidden somewhere with in the vegetation.

My variation is when throwing a buzz bait I reel as usual and then about once or twice during the retrieve I pull back hard on the rod and make the buzzbait rip across the water, it makes a dif sound, then goes back to the usual clack of the prop blade...at times it provokes strikes right after you rip it..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 08:50 PM   #8
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I do the same thing with a tiny torpedo JB. I use a constand speed and rip it. I had a fish bust it 1 time and knock it about 4' outta the water and had it back in his mouth before it hit again, unless it was a different fish. But awesome speticule to say the least.
Old 03-20-09, 01:16 PM   #9
OrygunBasser

Here is another one, It's a dropshot change up!

If you are going to cast and drag the bait back and not vertical presentation, I like to put a short leader (about 6"), on the hook so that it can trail a bit off the main line. Also I put the hook about 24" above the weight. I did this at Clear Lake and let the wind drift me across an area between an Island and the main land. It worked very well!
Old 03-20-09, 05:51 PM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrygunBasser View Post
Here is another one, It's a dropshot change up!

If you are going to cast and drag the bait back and not vertical presentation, I like to put a short leader (about 6"), on the hook so that it can trail a bit off the main line. Also I put the hook about 24" above the weight. I did this at Clear Lake and let the wind drift me across an area between an Island and the main land. It worked very well!
I tried doing that a couple of times and caught a few fish, but everything kept getting all wrapped up. I reckon I needed a swivel or something.
Old 03-27-09, 03:23 AM   #11
zaraflux
BassFishin.Com Member

May not be too unusual if you have pads cast/pitch a jig/soft plastic over the edge farthest away from you to hold the line in place and jig the bait up and down in the same place.They see alot of horizontal retrieves in pads seldom anything vertical
zaraflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 10:57 AM   #12
cassidyta

I have a 1/2 oz single blade colorado spinner that has no skirt on it. I will attach just about any plastic to this. Not sure that it is unusual, but it works for me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.