Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-23-14, 11:17 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Spro McStick Baits

I thought I would throw this out here to let others know of my experience. I purchased two of these baits. What I wanted to let you know is they are advertised as being a suspending bait. BPS catalog says they suspend in colder temps and "adjust to warmer water temps". I'm not sure what BPS means by adjusting to warmer temps, but what ever. All I want you to know, is that I used both of my new Spro McSticks yesterday, and they did not suspend at all. They both floated back to the surface every time. Slowly, but a definite rise. Not a fast rise like with balsa baits. But if your looking for a jerk bait that definitely suspends, the McStick isn't it. Just an FYI for you. Personally, I like a slow rising jerk bait so they will fit in nicely in my collection of jerk baits. I DID however use the Strike King suspending jerk bait yesterday and it suspended perfectly. I landed 8 bass on that bait using a slow presentation of jerk, pause, jerk jerk.
Old 04-23-14, 12:39 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1985 Monark Mcfast was billed as a fast boat,dang thing was way to heavy.
As for suspenders I also have some that rise ever so slowly compared to balsa,and some that rise almost none.Think bouyancy of the water along with temp effects a lot,in particular those that rise slowly,meaning 48f water may work about right and at 65 like they said adjust somewhat,meaning not the best of both worlds.
I have some plastic yozuri that dont suspend yet dont rise fast and do catch fish in pre 50 water,and ive got a popular name brand deep diver that pops up so quick its like a bobber,never have caught anything on it.Yet pointers work well.
Much depends upon water used on and individual,somebaits have more appeal to fishermen than fish.
Same for boats I do know a guy with a monark Mcfast he loves it,fishes the waubash river ,out of Terre Haute Ind,sandbar scratches dont show up on its thick hide.
Things dont always work as advertised,everywhere or for everyone

Last edited by lilmule; 04-23-14 at 12:49 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 01:15 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Water is densest at 39 degrees F. A bait that rises slowly at that temperature, will probably sink at higher temps, since the water will be "lighter".
If it's designed to suspend with a slight rise at 39 F ... then it should suspend perfectly at some higher temp, until it sinks when the temp gets high enough.
I have NEVER had a bait that actually STAYED at a particular depth. Given time, they all either sank or floated ... and most floated.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 02:33 PM   #4
Tavery5

I think that the suspending jerkbaits can be the most frustrating bait out there, I hate it when they float. I would almost always prefer them to sink slowly. To get one to suspend correctly all the time generally requires some tuning. You can use lead solder and put small pieces on the hook shank to balance the baits, or even add split rings. Water temperature has everything to do with it.
Just as a general rule the baits that suspend the best cost a little more, in my use I have found the LC and Megabass jerkbaits to suspend very well. They cost more but sometimes you get what you pay for.
Old 04-23-14, 07:38 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Suspend dots or strips can also be used to get a bait to suspend and give it a nose up/down or level attitude. While I agree it's frustrating to buy a "suspending" lure that does not always hang out like we want, it's not easy for a manufacturer to do. Temperature and salinity (if you fish tidal water) does have an effect, and having lead tape or wire in the jerk bait box can get your bait to do just what you want. Bigger hooks just might do the trick too and I have, at times, removed the middle hook on smaller baits and changed the front & rear trebles to a larger size. I really don't like handling a fish with triple treble hooks.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 08:23 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I got out from shore before dinner tonight and caught 12 bass in about 90 minutes on the Strike King Jerk Bait. That thing in this water temp stays put. For the price it really delivers. I'm curious what it will do as the water temps start to rise.
Old 04-24-14, 07:29 AM   #7
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Reading the replies ... maybe suspending baits are intentionally a little light. They are SUPPOSED to float. It makes sense ...
You CANNOT tune a sinking lure to rise ... but you CAN tune a floating lure to sink.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.