Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-11, 10:47 PM   #1
G-Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default PART II - Looking for advice on new bass boat

About a week or so ago I started a thread called "Looking for advice on a new bass boat". The messages and comments I got back were incredible and thank you to all who replied and gave their opinions.

Today I went to go see Phoenix boats and fell in love.

I am looking at the 618 and the 619 and ask for input so I can make my final decision.

The 618 is 18' 6 " with a Yamaha V150 (2 stroke)
The 619 is 19' 8 with a Sho Yamaha 200 (4 stroke)
Im having a hard time here as there is a $10,000 difference here.

Also I am having a challenge picking electronics. I was told by the dealer that Phoenix offers a Lowrance Elite 5X in bow and the Elite 5 w/GPS on the dash included in the price .(But the Phoenix catalog offers 2 Hummingbird 728??
Which of these are a better option ??

Another question on electronics??
From some of the feedback from the first thread and info I got from the BPS I was leading with the Lowrance HDS8 in the dash and at the bow the HDS 5 with LSS-1 structure scan but these are almost a $3,000 upgrade.Is it worth the spend or go with whats included in the boat offering??

The trolling motor is a Minn Kota Fortrex 80 24 volt

I plan to put whatever boat I have on a float air lift under a covered dock so I was going to go with a single axle trailer with disc brakes vs a double axle??? Good or bad idea??

Sonic hub upgrade $300 ( to use ipod)

Other than these questions both boats have everything..
Dual console
3 Bank Charger upgrade
Ratchet tie downs
Extra Seat Base in floor
Bow step
Phoenix Laser cut step pad
8 inch fixed jack plate
reboarding ladder
rod locker with organizers
Tackle organizer system with snake light
Rotary (lazy susan tackle) up front
tilt steering
tilt on wheel
hot foot
Built in battery charger
LED courtesy lights
ALUMINUM Gas tank
Stainless steel pull up cleats and locking latches

This boat ROCKS!
What do you think ?? You guys got me this far please help me get a boat to my dock.

Thanks a lot.
G-Man
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 10:56 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Told oyu that oyu would love it buddy. as for wht to get as far as add-ons? Sorry man, i only wish i was in oyur shoes. But rest assured that there are some tech folks her that are FAR better at this than me. Just make me one promise............IF oyu are EVER this way. You take me out in it. ok?
Old 01-03-11, 10:57 PM   #3
Imgoodatwhatido

i know of a few guys who have new pheonix's and love them...that being said i know where theres on with a honda 4 stroke for 32,000. Its one year old an its red and silver. extremely nice boat. Let me know if your interested and ill see what i can fond out on it.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 11:09 PM   #4
G-Man

Thanks for your help Imgoodatwhatido but the honda wont work for me.
Old 01-04-11, 12:37 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Glad you got to look at a Phoenix, they are a nice boat. If it were me I would really consider the extra $$ for the SHO. It is my understanding that Yamahammer is going to phase out the 2 stroke VMAX and in time the SHO will be their big deal. I just think that long term it might be worth the extra money to know that you can get support for that motor should you have problems. You would love that Minn Kota Fortrex, I have the 101lb model and it is a great motor. As for the graphs, I think you should see if Bass Pro has the graphs that you are debating between and check them out first hand because I honestly don't have any experience with any of those exact models. However like I said before customer service from Lowrance doesn't exist and Humminbird has always been great to me. One time I had the transducer go bad on my side imaging unit 2 days before a tournament. I called them that afternoon and at 11:00 UPS dropped a new one off to me and there was a note in there wishing me luck on my tournament, and there was no charge and no questions asked.
Old 01-04-11, 12:40 AM   #6
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tough choice. Me, I'd want the 619, and the SHO Yammie is getting rave reviews. My first bass boat was an 18'6" boat with a 150 HP and it was a fine entry level boat. It didn't take me but a couple years to learn I SHOUDA BOUGHT A BIGGER BOAT.
Electronics - that's your choice. The x-series is no comparison to the HD's and you can't add side imaging to the x-units. But, do you want SI capability? For me I think the extra few hundred $$$ would be money well spent, if you do it initially. Not going for it in a new boat and upgrading later is more expensive than doing it at the beginning. Lowrance needs a seperate module to get side scan on their HD units and the 'bird units are self contained. You can always add the SI module later, if you go with Lowrance.
One final point on the sonar/GPS combo units - go with AT LEAST an 8" screen at the helm, regardless of brand. Splitting the screen and adding digital data display eats up screen space quickly and nothing is more difficult than trying to read either the GPS or Sonar display on a 5" combo unit at 60+ MPH.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 08:54 AM   #7
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

The 618 is 18' 6 " with a Yamaha V150 (2 stroke)
The 619 is 19' 8 with a Sho Yamaha 200 (4 stroke)
Im having a hard time here as there is a $10,000 difference here.

Go with what YOU can afford. But if the $$$ isn't an issue, I'd go with the SHO rig in a hillbilly's heartbeat.

Also I am having a challenge picking electronics. I was told by the dealer that Phoenix offers a Lowrance Elite 5X in bow and the Elite 5 w/GPS on the dash included in the price .(But the Phoenix catalog offers 2 Hummingbird 728??
Which of these are a better option ??

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't an option for larger sidescan units. I'd ask if there could be a delete on what's offered and upgrade to at least one of the larger sidescans at the console. If you don't want/can't afford one at the front, then opt for one of the new units that feature downimaging.

Another question on electronics??
From some of the feedback from the first thread and info I got from the BPS I was leading with the Lowrance HDS8 in the dash and at the bow the HDS 5 with LSS-1 structure scan but these are almost a $3,000 upgrade.Is it worth the spend or go with whats included in the boat offering??

JMO, but if you don't go with the down imaging now, you'll regret it later.

The trolling motor is a Minn Kota Fortrex 80 24 volt

You will LOVE the MK Fortrex.

I plan to put whatever boat I have on a float air lift under a covered dock so I was going to go with a single axle trailer with disc brakes vs a double axle??? Good or bad idea??

I've been towing an older TR20 around on a single axle for 12 years with no trouble at all. Make sure you get brakes on the trailer.

Sonic hub upgrade $300 ( to use ipod)

Don't own an Ipod

This boat ROCKS!
What do you think ?? You guys got me this far please help me get a boat to my dock.

I think I'd love to be in your shoes right now
Old 01-04-11, 09:34 AM   #8
MIbasser

I would guess that the dealer likes his Lowrance's. BUT I would not do the Elite series as they don't interlink. I would go with the HDS5's and link them together to share waypoints and have the possiblility to use side/down scan.

As for the boat, I would go bigger over smaller.

Good Luck!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 09:27 PM   #9
bamabassman

G-man, one thing i guess i need to say is that IF, and i mean IF money is NOT an issue. Try to see if oyu could swing a 20 footer on the rig of your dreams. or bigger. The folks here have said and i have to agree with them, that bigger is better. Like you have been told, it owuld be a shame if oyu bought a smaller rig only to wish a few months later you had gotten a bigger one. Just a thought pal.... you don't have to take my advise on it. I had a 14 ft.,15ft.,18 1/2 ft., and now own a 20 1/2 footer. I love the over all storage and "safe" FEELING i get with a larger rig. Never will i go to a smaller rig again. Again, just my couple of pennies worth. Which ain't worth much.
Old 01-04-11, 09:36 PM   #10
G-Man

The Phoenix 619 is leading the race with the SHO 200. I still plan to go to the Boat how and look at other boats but my goal is to have an new boat SOON.
Bamabassman if you ever get up to Hartwell go up the Tugallo River to Buoy 80 and look to the GA side and you will see my new boat. Tie up to my dock walk up the path and ring my bell I'll give you a cold beer Thanks for your help!
Old 01-04-11, 09:40 PM   #11
bamabassman

WELL THANK YOU G-MAN! Rather have an ice dold coca-cola though,lol. And i tell you what......you need to look up ol BOB SMITH. He live sin cartersville and another friend lives there too....chris youngblood. Bob is on here and a HE77 of a fisherman. he can give oyu the BEST advise around man. wonderful guy. between him and chris......heck you'll be hauling in sow bellies left and right i promise!
Old 01-09-11, 12:39 AM   #12
G-Man

I GOT A BOAT!
2011 Phoenix 619 with Yamaha Sho 200
HDS8 in Dash HDS5 at Bow
Added Lss-1 Structure scan
Now I have to wait 8 weeks for them to make it.
Thanks for everyone who helped with this decision
"Life Is Good!"
Old 01-09-11, 12:46 AM   #13
bamabassman

CONGRATS!!! now oyu know this post you made is pointless without PICTURES. HAHAHAHA, POST THEM UP AS SOON AS YOU CAN PAL. NOW, MEET US ALL MAY 19,20,21 AT WHEELER/WILSON lakes and take us all for a ride in it. hehehehe.
Old 01-09-11, 01:03 AM   #14
G-Man

I understand and agree bamabassman but had to order it...so I cant send photo yet.

Now Im spending all my time on line learning how to use the HDS so when I do get it I know what the heck Im doing.

This has been fun and appreciate your help

The cold coca cola offer still stands if you every get up to Lake Hartwell.
Old 01-09-11, 01:08 AM   #15
bamabassman

sounds good g-man. for real.......you think oyu can make it to the get toether in may? 19,20, 21. wheeler/wilson lakes in alabama?
Old 01-09-11, 01:26 AM   #16
G-Man

I sent you a PM
Old 01-09-11, 01:43 AM   #17
bamabassman

sent you one back g-man.
Old 01-09-11, 02:47 AM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Congrats on the new ride! You put a lot of thought into her and I am sure you will be happy with your decision. What colors did you choose?
Old 01-09-11, 09:34 AM   #19
MIbasser

G-Man, here is a good read on the HDS units. Congrats on the new boat!!!

Remember, life jacket & kill switch - life jacket & kill switch AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

http://hightechfishing.com/
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 09:55 PM   #20
falcooon
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile

Congratulations on your decision and new rig!

Welcome to the walking back and forth, waiting for the boat club! I did pretty well because I had the holidays to divert my attention. still have a few more weeks.

Keep busy, drink plenty of fluids, do deep breathing exercises.....
falcooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 08:37 PM   #21
G-Man

It has now been 11 weeks since I ordered my 619. GOD the waiting is killing me.
I am headed up to TN Monday 3-28 for a plant tour and see them finish making my boat.
Its out of the hull and hope to have it in 2-3 more weeks.
In my waiting I did upgrade to the HD& in the front while keeping the hD8 in the dash.
Since I have ordered my boat... I have made several friends on the forum and enjoyed everyones help not only selecting the boat and electronics. Thanks to the Gents ( I use that term loosely) in the Chat rooms who answered the questions I was too embarrassed to ask on the public forum.
I have learned that fisherman are good people!
Wishing YALL a great fishing season this year and if you ever get up to Lake Hartwell be sure to stop by Bouy T80 for a cold beer and a look see of my bird.
CHEERS!
Old 03-24-11, 09:03 PM   #22
nofearengineer

G-Man, I am so JEALOUS!!!

That sounds like it is going to be one awesome boat.

Who says a man can't love an inanimate object?
Old 03-24-11, 09:38 PM   #23
bamabassman

g-man, buddy i hope oyu are not afraid to ask ANYTHING on the open forum man. if someone says it is a stupid question.....we WILL runn them out on a rail pal. here there are NO stupid questions. only stupid answers. now that is not to say we may joke on oyu some pal, but it would be in good honest fun i promise.

now.......... POST PICS OF THE PLANT AND THEM MAKING THAT RIG!!! like my frined bryce i too am jelous as all get out. one day, maybe, i will be able to buy a USED rig like yours. glad these wonderful people here have helped oyu. i love these folks here. these are TRULY my brothers and sisters on this site. maybe one day they will help me stop catching dinks and start catching some like them,lol.

we know how badly you want to get in that rig and blow up the water. we too want to see it almost as badly as you pal. jsut be careful on oyur maiden voayage ok? and i would love it if oyu attended the get together in may. (if oyu haven't already said oyu wouldor not.) if oyu can't make it, we understand.

now take a sleeping pill for the next 2-3 weeks and rest up for that beauty of a beast. hahaha!
Old 03-24-11, 10:52 PM   #24
G-Man

Bamabassman-What were the dates in May again and what lake?? Save me from looking thru all the threads. Thx
Old 03-25-11, 10:40 PM   #25
bamabassman

wheeler/wilson lakes, may 19-21. some of us are arriving earlier than others and staying the entire week. we have some cabins reserved and if oyu want in (gotta bunk with others if only you or oyu can reserve a room nearby or pitch a tent, oyur choice pal) jsut let us know when oyu will be there and we'll tell ya how much ya need to bring.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.