Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-23-06, 09:21 AM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Chatterbait=Banjo Minnow?

So, I've been hearing a lotabout this chatterbait. I might get one, but at 7+ bucks each, I'm gonna be kind of skeptical. So, is the chatterbait this years banjo minnow/helicopter lure, or is it a genuinely good new lure? Any results?
Old 05-23-06, 09:29 AM   #2
Set-The-Hook
BassFishin.Com Member

its a jig and spinner bait, works well in grass and stained water. adds to your jig selection.

if you use a swimmin jig then you will find a place for this. you can get the after market baits from gambler and such for less $. Academy has gambler.

you can dress it however you like
it was made for the lakes in Florida
Set-The-Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 10:08 AM   #3
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Havent Had A Chance To Use Them Much But I Love Their Action.
Old 05-23-06, 01:14 PM   #4
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This is NOT the Banjo lure....Helicopter Lure or any other lame lure out there. This is the real deal! Have about 6 of them now and They are awesome. Unfortunatly the secret is out on these bad boys. It is the perfect combo od spinnerbait and jig. I fish both of those alot and find this bait to be the happy medium. I have caught alot of fish on th Chatterbait. I also have a few of the off brand. I se no difference between the real deal and a off brand(with the exception of the hooks) They both vibrate like crazy and move the same way. Give them a try youll be glad you did!!!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 02:56 PM   #5
Ryano
BassFishin.Com Member

Well Thursday, I was pre-fishing for a touney on West Point Lake in GA. I absolutely up the LM on the chatterbait. I would say about 1 out of every 10 cast, I caught a nice fish. The biggest going about 3 1/2. I swapped to a spinnerbait and nada. Went back to chatterbait and started catching them again.

Gambler makes one also, not as much action, but it catches fish too.

Can't say I did that in the tourny, but Thursday was fun.
Ryano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 07:17 PM   #6
Fishing4Soup

Havent caught anything on them yet but i've only tried them for an hour during a cold front so thats probably why i didnt catch anything. ALSO: before you buy make sure the eyehole on the jig that holds the blad doesnt have a big gap for the blade to fall out of. On my first cast i lost one because the jig fell off the blade.....
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-06, 06:27 PM   #7
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

They work. But they are 6 dollars in my area..... the materials are cheap and on some forums you can learn how to make them. The original chatterbait costs very little to make.
Old 05-26-06, 06:28 PM   #8
Zach_BassFisherman

does anyone have a pic of the chatterbait?
Old 05-26-06, 07:24 PM   #9
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here you go, Zach:

Old 05-28-06, 05:05 PM   #10
crankybait

found this somewhere else-
"It's best to have one chatterbait so that you can use the blade as a template for your own blades. If you don't, the blade is 30mm long, 23mm wide at the middle, 6mm across the top, 17mm across the bottom, and the widest point happens 17mm from the bottom of the blade. Take old spinnerbait blades or a thin trolling spoon and pound it flat with a hammer. Use tin snips to cut the blade. Drill 3 holes...two to attatch your line with a snap and one to attach the jig. Put one split ring on any old bass jig or jig head...then other split ring on the blade you cut...then attatch the two split rings together. The two split rings allow the jig to sit hoizontally with the blade (one ring gives you a 90 degree twist). Now attatch the snap...you may have to bend it a bit to get it to work. Finally, take some pliars and put a slight bend to the front of the blade at it's widest point."
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 05:59 PM   #11
JB

i'll just go to our laser programer and have them zap out about a million of them, and let a pressbrake guy finish them rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 06:51 PM   #12
pig n jig

JB, The company I work for just bought another Cincinnati laser.Do you know how many blades could you get out of a 5' X 10' sheet ? I used to run the laser for about 8 months and learned to build my own programs from transferring the part dimensions to mechanical drawing paper,its really quite simple providing you know the cut perameter codes that is until the boss got angry, I was always cutting gov't jobs on my lunch breaks. I had to get help with etching values, but here is one I did.P N J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laser bass.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	436  
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 07:08 PM   #13
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

One of my buddies manages the local baitshop and has tried out the chatterbait. He discovered that it has a better action when retrieved at a moderately slow pace rather than the fairly rapid retrieve most folks around here were retrieving them at. He used his like a jig, slowly crawling across bottom, witn an occasional hop-swim. He says it has a more pronounced wobble on the more moderate speeds.

He also pointed out, because of the manner in which it is constructed, with several joints and all, you can also dance the bait, making a rattle effect with the loose connections.
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 07:31 PM   #14
pig n jig

Mac, I knew something like that must have attracted your attention.Its a matter of time and you will invent and market a product.I put the divin' Ivans to work today.Fishing for bedded bass.I caught several, the white was the ticket, just set the hook when it disapeared. Funny how that little hook will bring in good fish on 8 lb test with a light drag setting. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 10:19 PM   #15
Rebbasser

One thing I discovered about the chatterbait-the hook needs to be sharpened. I missed a couple the other day and finally got around to checking the hook. Not sharp right out of the package.
Old 05-29-06, 07:37 AM   #16
crankybait

i just made a chatterbait... i dont think it works right though. when pulled through the water, the blade stands up in front of the jig, waving left to right. ill scan it later
Old 06-05-06, 11:53 AM   #17
Ryano
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
i just made a chatterbait... i dont think it works right though. when pulled through the water, the blade stands up in front of the jig, waving left to right. ill scan it later
waving left to right, like in a vibration motion?? That's exactly how it is supposed to work
Ryano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 03:01 PM   #18
crankybait

yup. but the the pics ive seen of it, it seems to just shake a bit. mine stands up and waves left to right. perhaps its because i put 2 spit rings?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.