Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-09-08, 08:49 PM   #1
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Keeping a boat outside for the winter

What steps should I take..

I've heard to tilt the motor down....
cover it....what else?
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 10:10 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Make sure all water in the system is drained and filled with an anti-freezing agent!

-Lunk-
Old 01-10-08, 10:02 AM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would say that you have got to make sure you've drained your lower unit if it will be in freezing temps..the gear oil is too light and does freeze...I know a lot of people who have lost lower units to this in the Northeast. It might also be a good idea to throw some De-Con or moth balls in there somewhere to keep the rodents out..squirrels and mice can really make a mess of things..I always take mine to the mechanic..$50 is cheap insurance.
Old 01-10-08, 10:23 AM   #4
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Go to the manufacturers web site and get the proper storage instructions for your make and model of outboard. Follow them. I took bad advice and used storage oil in my Opti. Should have used OPTI oil. My bad.

Never used moth balls but I've never had a rodent problem. Might be a good idea depending on where you are keeping the boat.

Never heard of oil freezing. If that was the case the manufacturers would reccomend draining the lower unit for storage. Mercury clearly says drain and re-fill. Drain the LU into a clean, dry pan so you can check for water. If there is any water you should have the LU serviced. you could take it off before you store the boat and fix it yourself if you are so inclined.

Get the boat as dry as possible. There is potential for damage anywhere there is water
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 12:37 PM   #5
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have been winterizing boats here in Mn for years.Drain all the water from your live wells and hull if you think that you may have missed some just add a little Rv antifreeze to the lines this will take care of any water that you have missed.Rv antifreeze is pink generally and cheap
Lower unit care-Yes drain and refill, this is a great time for you to cange your fluid anyway and if you notice any milky or creamy discoloration to the oil your seals are leaking and should be changed to stop water from entering the gearcase.And to check for any big chunks of metal that will cause lower unit failure.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.