Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-16-12, 09:31 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Play it as normal, or....

do I need to switch it up?

One of the lakes I fish starts their half day boat rentals at 4:30 pm until 11 pm. I plan on heading out there around this time to do some evening fishing tomorrow (4:30 to sunset, usually between 8 and 8:30). No intention on being on the water after dark as I do not have the gear for night fishing.

Anyways when I fish from first thing in the morning until late afternoon I throw a lot of cranks, t-rigged plastics and weightless Senkos. Usually ending my day on a DS rig because it is so darn hot, they're deep and don't want to bite. I'm hoping by fishing these later times they'll move up to feed.

Is there another approach I should take on this? what would you all do?

Thank you
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 09:40 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

does it cool off enough during the evening? if not, throw what oyu did in the morning plus a frog is my addvice. ever sling a lizzard? t-rigged of ocurse. or c-rigged even.
Old 08-16-12, 10:07 PM   #3
keithdog

Usually, the wind dies down in the evening and the water is calm. Thats when I like throwing small to medium sized topwaters. A smaller size spook type bait, a popper, ect. One of my favorites is a Baby Torpedo for evening fishing. Also, a floating stick bait like a Rattlin Rouge worked on the surface can be killer. I also do very well with a 1/4 - 3/8 oz spinnerbait built with double colorado blades.
Old 08-16-12, 10:50 PM   #4
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
do I need to switch it up?

One of the lakes I fish starts their half day boat rentals at 4:30 pm until 11 pm. I plan on heading out there around this time to do some evening fishing tomorrow (4:30 to sunset, usually between 8 and 8:30). No intention on being on the water after dark as I do not have the gear for night fishing. If you're paying for the boat until 11 I'd stay out til then. The only "gear" I bring on a night trip is light.

Anyways when I fish from first thing in the morning until late afternoon I throw a lot of cranks, t-rigged plastics and weightless Senkos. Usually ending my day on a DS rig because it is so darn hot, they're deep and don't want to bite. I'm hoping by fishing these later times they'll move up to feed.

Is there another approach I should take on this? what would you all do?
Not knowing anything about the BOW you're fishing I can only talk in generalities and what it's like here in the Carolinas. I'm convinced that during these brutal hot summer months the quality fish we all seek do most of their feeding at night and in water from 1-10 ft deep. The reason the early morning shallow summer bite is so famous is because that's when most fisherman are there. Very few fisherman fish at night regularly. Same goes for the iconic summer evening bite. Both those groups of biting fish are in transition....the morning fish(many of which have a full stomach) are moving back out to the deep to spend the day but..............the evening fish (many of which haven't eaten much for 10-12 hours) are just moving up!
I often do well by just fishing the 5-10 water the whole time and never actually going into the really skinny water, even when I can see/hear them busting the top. Takes some commitment/confidence but can pay off big. Try it sometime. I haven't a clue how old you are but I'm guessing you've got at least another twenty years of fishing left in you, it's good to experiment.

Thank you
.................................................. .............................................
Old 08-17-12, 09:26 AM   #5
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
does it cool off enough during the evening? if not, throw what oyu did in the morning plus a frog is my addvice. ever sling a lizzard? t-rigged of ocurse. or c-rigged even.
According to the weather I looked at last night it's not going to be as cool as I thought it would be. It's 0614 and it's 72 there now with a high of 86 and it suppose to be around 82-83* when I plan to arrive.

I throw lizards every once in a while at this lake, but never fished them seriously (t-rigged). I think it might a good choice though...any recommendations on color for an extremely lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Usually, the wind dies down in the evening and the water is calm. Thats when I like throwing small to medium sized topwaters. A smaller size spook type bait, a popper, ect. One of my favorites is a Baby Torpedo for evening fishing. Also, a floating stick bait like a Rattlin Rouge worked on the surface can be killer. I also do very well with a 1/4 - 3/8 oz spinnerbait built with double colorado blades.
I like the top water idea. I have a couple different torpedos and a spook or two. I didn't even give that consideration. Thank you for that idea!

kenneth- generalities is what I looking for and I like your philosophy on the feeding. I was already considering going and buying a small lantern (believe it is required for this lake at night as you can't put private boats, kayaks or tubes on it and their boats don't have running lights). It's actually a city water reservoir so I guess I need to quit calling it a lake.

I can hit the 5-10 foot range all night as my favorite cranks hit 8 foot max.

Thank you for the input guys! Much appreciated
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 09:38 AM   #6
bamabassman

as for colors on lizzards... MY favs are the punkinseed dipped in chartruse SPIKE-IT garlic, also i use the june bug and watermelon with out the spike it. spike it on these other colors don't help much for me. good luck.
Old 08-22-12, 08:38 AM   #7
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default just a thought...

If your morning/afternoon sequence is successful, maybe try reversing the order? Start with dropshot and then change as the evening approaches? BTW: If you have not thrown a buzzbait at sunset or just after, you are missing a chance at the coolest experience in bass fishing
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.