Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-16-10, 06:49 PM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New rod/real combo help

I'm going to get a new rod and reel combo soon and I'm lookin for ideas. I'm lookin to get a spinning rod/reel to fish drop shot and shaky head, basically finesse baits. I'm leaning towards a split grip rod for the extra reduction of weight and something around the 6'9 or 7'0 range, but all suggestions (and reasons why) are welcome. I'm looking somewhere in the $300 or cheaper range for both rod/reel (combined price). Also suggestions on what the tip should be.

So what are your favorite brands/what do you throw? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-10, 09:32 PM   #2
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a BPS carbonlite 6'8" Med. xfast matched with Pflueger Arbor reel and spooled with either 10lb power pro or 6 lb InvisX. I use it for finesse applications and it works very well. This combo is extremely light and well balanced....the rod has good sensitivity and enough back bone to do the job.....the reel is very smooth and comes with a special spool for braid. I've only been fishing this combo about a month and a half so I can't speak to its durability but so far I'm pleased with it.

I'm sure others here can make several other good suggestions as well.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 09:48 PM   #3
JerseyFisher

I use the St. Croix Mojo Drop Shot rod. It's 7'0 ML, and I have it paired with a Shimano Sedona, it's very light and I absolutely love it for drop shottin'. With that price range you could probably get a higher end reel, seeing as the rod is $100.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:13 PM   #4
Backwater Charlie

Arguably, Pflueger's spinning reels are some of THE best values in fishing. In that price range, I'd get a Pflueger Supreme XT "9030XT" model on a Bass Pro Shops CarbonLite 6'9" ML rod.
Old 05-17-10, 10:08 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For the money, I agree that Pflueger spinning reels are great, especially the Supreme. I've got a Supreme 8030MG that I use for shakey heads and wacky rigs and I love it.

However, I prefer a smaller reel with 10lb braid for dropshotting.

Also, don't waste you're money on the Supreme XT if you go with a Pflueger. You're only getting that ugly gold paint job, and a thicker bait wire... not worth it. Other than those two things, they're almost the exact same reel.

For a rod, I've got a Shimano Crucial DS rod I've been happy with. It's the 7'2" M F model, and it's a good all around spinning rod. I prefer the M power for shaky heads, but would like a ML for dropshotting.

BB
Old 05-17-10, 04:10 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

[QUOTE=JerseyFisher;297215]I use the St. Croix Mojo Drop Shot rod. QUOTE]

I have been looking at this rod, they look like a good rod and arent that exspensive.
Old 05-17-10, 05:57 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I hear lots of folks talking about powell, and the stradic FI's, and Daiwa Advantage A's. They say the the Powell is the best rod in in price range, and the most sensitive!

Never used any of them for much time (I've took a few casts with a friends stradic, and it seemed like a really nice reel, very smooth, and good casts!!). Them two bring the total to just under 200.

Just my 2 cent

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.