Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-18-08, 09:00 PM   #1
Repoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trailer Help

I recently purchased a used Nitro 170 and a Nitro trailer and have noticed that the tires are wearing real bad on the inside 1/2 and if you look at it from behind the top of the tires are pointed in. When I jack up the trailer and take the weight off of the tires the wheels straighten up. My question is. Would this be from weak springs or is the axle bending because it is to light?

Jeff

Last edited by Repoman; 02-19-08 at 12:41 AM.
Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 10:29 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i dunno, may be both. take it to a tire store and have them check it out. best advise i can give ya pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:36 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hello repoman. Welcome to the forums bud. Uh I dont want to alarm you but if they move that much with only you jacking it up off the ground you have a serious problem. Off the top of my head I dont recall if that particular trailer has the full length axles or just spindles welded to a fixture on the side of the trailer. Either one with what you described indicates trouble. At the very least I am thinking new bearings. Lemme know what axle you got or better yet ifn ya could some pics would be great.
Old 02-20-08, 01:32 AM   #4
Jackl

REPOMAN,
Are you jacking the trailer up in the middle of the axle, or on the spring plates. If you are jacking in the middle of the axle and the wheels straighten out, it sounds like the axle is weak and sagging.
I am in agreement with LASER about checking the wheel bearings to see if they are loose or rusted out (hopefully) If not, you need to find a frame shop that specializes in aligning straight axles and have the axle re-enforced so that it don't sag, and don't ever jack up your trailer in the center of the axle.

JackL
Old 02-20-08, 02:00 PM   #5
Repoman
BassFishin.Com Member

It has a full axle and the bearings are tight. No I am not jacking up the trailer by the axle I jacked it up by the frame of the trailer. after looking at it. I think that the axle is just to light and it is flexing. I'm going to brace it and see if it helps if not I will just replace the axle. Thanks all
Old 02-21-08, 07:12 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Be careful about doing any welding on that axle. Ifn ya dont have enough experience or get someone that does your gonna cause your self a big failure and headache. Let us know what ya do and the outcome.
Old 02-21-08, 08:53 PM   #7
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

?????????
For sh!ts and giggles, have you pulled the plug on the boat to see if your retaining extra water weight, or something ? I find it hard to believe the axle is too weak for the normal boat weight capacity. Make sure your boat is positioned to balance out on the trailer.I would have guessed a bearing gone to he!! at first as well, but I am totally puzzled ? Ivan
Old 02-22-08, 12:42 AM   #8
Repoman
BassFishin.Com Member

Crane,
That was the first thing I checked but then I noticed that the spare had been on the ground and it was cupped out so it has been an on going thing with this trailer and it had new tires when I bought it. I have pretty much made my mind up that I will brace the axle and if that straightens the wheels then I will buy a new axle since I don't like the hubs on this trailer anyways.
Old 02-22-08, 11:23 AM   #9
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well it was a long shot, but I just figured some times the easiest fix is always the first place to start......I hate buying other peoples problems, it happens more than I like to admit.If all else fails, start looking for another trailer.Good luck and I hope the reinforcement work for you.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.