Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-07, 08:02 PM   #1
5282jt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinning Flipping rod / reel ? Is there such a thing?

Are there any rods specific to flipping? How about reels?
Thanks
5282jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 08:20 PM   #2
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Someone was pitchin' with a spinning outfit at the Arkansas river BASS tournament that ESPN showed on Saturday. Don't remember who it was or what they were using. Still hung over from the Colts win last night.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 08:46 PM   #3
BPACA

Hackney.....he was using a pretty good size spinning reel....I think it was mainly because there was a couple of docks around where he was throwing...also a guy was fishing wylie...some rookie that almost won but KVD I think won the tournament.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 09:07 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Most use a baitcaster on a heavy action 7-6 rod. If I was going to pitch/flip with a spinning outfit I'd probably go with a saltwater outfit-heavy rod/reel combo.
Old 01-22-07, 09:35 PM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i pitch light baits with a pflueger medalist 6040 reel and a bps 6-6 mh extreme rod.but for heavy flipping /pitching you need a baitcaster.
Old 01-22-07, 09:56 PM   #6
Jolly

You seem to be asking 2 questions. But if your asking about spinning flipping specifically then I think it depends upon what your trying to flip. If your flipping a 1/2 oz jig, large tubes, 10" + worms/lizards and other big tx rig stuff, no, you need to be using a 7'6" Heavy baitcasting rod and reel; However, if you are flipping light small tubes, dropshots, flukes, etc., around 3/8 oz or smaller (maybe 1/2 oz, maybe) then a spinning is sublime. I have a 6'6" falcon original with a shimano reel for dropshots and small tx rig stuff and I love it. It is absolutely perfect for finesse flipping/pitching. I also have a 7' spinning rod (don't remember what brand) that I flip small 3/8 oz jigs and cast small carolina rigs on. They are short enough that I can get right in the stuff, but heavy enough that I can still horse a hawg out of the trees. Also, you can fish much lighter line on them effectively eliminating line visibility. I hope this answers your question(s).

Jolly
Old 01-23-07, 09:41 PM   #7
weaverml34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPACA View Post
Hackney.....he was using a pretty good size spinning reel....I think it was mainly because there was a couple of docks around where he was throwing...also a guy was fishing wylie...some rookie that almost won but KVD I think won the tournament.

The Wylie tournament was on two weeks ago. The rookie held off KVD to get the win.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 12:12 PM   #8
lizardsrule

zooker pitches a lot with a spinning reel, I still do occasionally, and my fishing partner down here does it almost exclusively. When FLIPPING, the reel isn't really even in play, so just get a 7' or longer heavy rod. When pitching it's just takes practice, and closing the bail, vs engaging the reel with either a flipping switch or handle. The biggest thing for me personally about using a baitcaster for pitching is being able to feather the spool on the cast with my thumb to get better accuracy, plus even without engaging the reel I can keep enough pressure on the spool with my thumb to hook the fish without it slipping. Now using a spinning reel there are things like using your finger/thumb to slow down the pitch, or even droping your rod tip in the water, plus a couple of others, but it's more difficult than just using your thumb on the spool IMO. However I'm a firm believer in using spinning reels for many applications, and as PNJ likes to tell everyone you get more of a straight drop with a spinning reel vs a baitcaster, so use what you like. In any case a 7' or 7'6" rod in a Heavy or Medium Heavy woud be my reccomendation.

Lizards
Old 01-26-07, 10:35 PM   #9
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
You seem to be asking 2 questions. But if your asking about spinning flipping specifically then I think it depends upon what your trying to flip. If your flipping a 1/2 oz jig, large tubes, 10" + worms/lizards and other big tx rig stuff, no, you need to be using a 7'6" Heavy baitcasting rod and reel; However, if you are flipping light small tubes, dropshots, flukes, etc., around 3/8 oz or smaller (maybe 1/2 oz, maybe) then a spinning is sublime. I have a 6'6" falcon original with a shimano reel for dropshots and small tx rig stuff and I love it. It is absolutely perfect for finesse flipping/pitching. I also have a 7' spinning rod (don't remember what brand) that I flip small 3/8 oz jigs and cast small carolina rigs on. They are short enough that I can get right in the stuff, but heavy enough that I can still horse a hawg out of the trees. Also, you can fish much lighter line on them effectively eliminating line visibility. I hope this answers your question(s).

Jolly
I can pitch weightlesss flukes w/ my summit. It all depends on what size/type caster you have
Old 01-26-07, 10:38 PM   #10
crankybait

Wow, Could I have possibly just stumbled on a use for my stradic 5000 ?
Old 01-26-07, 11:45 PM   #11
zooker

been pitching with a spinning rod since the mid 80's and did not know it.. i used to fish alot of small streams. pitching a bait with a spinning gear was ideal..

i still pitch with a spinning rod i als skip..

zooker
Old 01-28-07, 12:07 PM   #12
bassnman30

Try and get a reel with a 6:1 retrieve.
Old 01-28-07, 12:41 PM   #13
flbassman

I ocasionally do some light flipping and pitching with a spinner. It's good for working the edges of pads. Then, if it doen't work, you can go in deep with your main stick.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.