Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-27-11, 11:58 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Top Water Lures

Went Bass Fishing just before sun-up on Saturday till about 11am and had some great Top Water fishing action for the first couple of hours. So, it got me to thinking about how many different answers I’d get if I asked the question…

What’s YOUR Favorite Early Morning Top Water lure?
a. How do you fish it?

What’s YOUR Favorite Night time Top Water lure?
a. How do you fish it?

I’ll start this show and say that My Favorite Early morning Top Water lure is the PoP-R in a Shad color and the way I fish it is, I cast it, Give it about 3 hard Pops, pause for a half a second and Pop it again three times, Rinse and Repeat.

My Favorite Night time Top Water Lure is the Jitterbug in the Color of Black. I just LOVE listening to the Glub, Glub, Glub Sound and WHOOOOSH!
Old 06-27-11, 12:27 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My morning lure would be a LC gunfish in white. I love the versatility of this lure. I can deadstick it with very occasional twitches, pop it, or walk the dog. I prefer to walk it because I get bigger blowups on it.

For night, I like the river2sea step wa frog. It is a hollow bodied frog with a jitterbug style lip. Color is based on the moon for me. As far as how, I will cast and let it sit for a good 20 seconds. Then I reel slowly for a while and stop.

Last edited by cassidyta; 06-27-11 at 12:33 PM.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 02:14 PM   #3
Mumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
My morning lure would be a LC gunfish in white. I love the versatility of this lure. I can deadstick it with very occasional twitches, pop it, or walk the dog. I prefer to walk it because I get bigger blowups on it.

For night, I like the river2sea step wa frog. It is a hollow bodied frog with a jitterbug style lip. Color is based on the moon for me. As far as how, I will cast and let it sit for a good 20 seconds. Then I reel slowly for a while and stop.
Do you use the 95 or the 115 in the LC?
Old 06-27-11, 02:32 PM   #4
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't do any night fishing but I use my Jitterbug and my popper about equal during the morning. Although lately they have been tearing up topwater mid day in my area.
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 02:38 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A good ol super spook Jr. (one knocker), is hard to beat in the morning. I aint done much night fishing, but around dusk a buzzbait.
Old 06-27-11, 09:16 PM   #6
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Favorite topwater baits for days are Hula Popper or a POP R.

Night fishing I like a buzzbait, Jitterbug or Torpedo all fished steady.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 09:43 PM   #7
walkeraviator

If I throw topwater its a buzzbait or a Pop-R night or day always black
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 10:24 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
Do you use the 95 or the 115 in the LC?

Primarily the 110, but if I am getting short strikes, I will drop down to the 95
Old 06-27-11, 11:40 PM   #9
Ebbetsguy

JITTERBUG, any time of day
5/8 ounce
5/8 ounce jointed
Musky XL size
any color at all as long as it's BLACK
I swith out the stock hooks for better hooks and split rings

in a distant 2nd
FROGS!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 12:21 PM   #10
Mumpy

So, after reading some of the posts. I went and purchased two LC Gunfish in the 95 Version and I purchased two Live Target Frogs in the Dark Brown and Green Versions.

Will give them a try this coming weekend!
Old 06-28-11, 12:33 PM   #11
pabassman
BassFishin.Com Member

A spook in the morning, usually G-finish or clear. A black buxxbait at night.
pabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 02:15 PM   #12
DaveW731

Frogs in pads and weeds, any time of the day or night! I fish white 90% of the time, followed by black, then green. If I am in open water, an old Luhr Jensen version of a ZSpook in the A.M., gray color, only because that was what they had when I bought it. LOVE walking the dog. I walk it ten ft. pause and twitch a couple times, repeat. Switch to a Devil's Horse if nothing hits. I do not fish much after dark, but evenings its a Black buzzbait first, usually fished as slow as possible, followed by a Black Pop-R, with alternating pops, pauses and jiggles.

Last edited by DaveW731; 06-28-11 at 03:24 PM.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 02:27 PM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if i am luck enough to catch a few, it is alway on the spro frog and the new frog, jeez forgot the name and a pop r
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 06:33 PM   #14
keithdog

I have three favorite topwaters, not counting frogs. The Rattlin Spook, the Baby Torpedo, and the Jitterbug. I use all three depending on what seems to be working at the time. After dark, it's the Jitterbug 95% of the time. Funny thing I'd like to point out. I have two lakes that are about 1 mile apart from each other. The jitterbug and Spook works great in Flint lake, but in Loomis Lake, they don't produce squat. However, the Baby Torpedo tears them up in Loomis. Funny how two lakes so close together can have such a different demeaner when it comes to the lures bass prefer. And also...if the bass are busting shad on the surface, I'm throwing a 3" Excaliber popper!!!

Last edited by keithdog; 06-28-11 at 08:29 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 06:37 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

A couple of my favorites are the XCalibur Jimmy and XCalibur Zell Pop. I've been wanting to get a couple LC Gunfish for a while now.

BB
Old 06-29-11, 09:24 AM   #16
Mumpy

Back before I was stationed in Alaska and I was really into some Bass Fishing down here in the South. One of my ALL TIME Favorite lures was the Denny Brauer Torpedo in the Lightning Shad color. I purchased one on Ebay when I got back from Alaska as well. Funny how it doesn't work like I remember it, hehe.

This weekend I tore the Bass up on a Sexy Shad color Pop-R - I even caught two bass, one Two pounder and one One Pounder at the same time. I thought I had a big one! lol
Old 06-29-11, 01:36 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

For mornings my favorites would be either a buzzbait fished around shallow cover, or a Lucky Craft Gunfish twitched and walked over shallow flats and points.

For night fishing it is without a doubt a buzzbait fish in the same types of areas that I fish them in the mornings.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 03:31 PM   #18
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

I just picked up some new stuff at Bass Pro last night. Lucky 13, Super Spook and a new frog. Now to test them.....
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 06:20 PM   #19
oglejust

i like a baby lucky 13 red/white. also like a black jitterbug, buzzbaits r fun but i havent had too much luck with them
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 08:11 PM   #20
Mississippibass
BassFishin.Com Member

Mornings I use a white buzz bait with a white twin tail trailer. Night I use black buzz bait with black twin tail trailer or black spro frog.
Mississippibass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 09:35 PM   #21
bamabassman

morning, pop-r, buzzbait, frog.
evening...same. colors vary.
Old 07-13-11, 01:56 PM   #22
pittsburghbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont fish top water very much... I think this is mainly because the rivers I fish on don't have much cover and a lot of it is just open water with a steady current. Does anyone know if the normal top water techniques still work in this situation?
pittsburghbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 02:07 PM   #23
Backwater Charlie

late evening buzzbait fishing is great... my confidence color is chartreuse w/ a gold blade. i like cheap ones, havent had nearly as much success on booyah's as I have on culprit's and $1 walmart baits..
Old 07-13-11, 06:44 PM   #24
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghbass View Post
I dont fish top water very much... I think this is mainly because the rivers I fish on don't have much cover and a lot of it is just open water with a steady current. Does anyone know if the normal top water techniques still work in this situation?
Thats a very good question. I've never been in that situation. I would think in that situation you could still find a top water usefull around the banks where there are overhanging branches, brush piles, rocks that for breaks in the currant, logs, bridge pilings. Any place where there is some kind of cover or break. You might be able to use the currant to your advantage by letting the current carry the lure towards your target. You might have to be a little more agressive with your retrieve in that currant to get a strike, but on the other hand, the fish in rivers are conditioned to looking for meals being carried in the current. You might be surprised.
Old 07-14-11, 01:24 PM   #25
DaveW731

Default Love surface baits in the river.

My buddy and I regularly fish smallmouth in rivers and usually do exactly what Keithdog is saying. Although not our first choice, surface baits are usually good for at least one fish per trip for each of us and the strikes are often pretty spectacular. My buddy uses buzzbaits or chuggers, I prefer propbaits and we target the type structure Keith mentioned. Don't be afraid to use them in steady or fast current, either. If you can, try to pick out changes in the bottom that may suggest submerged rocks, trees or other structure that will alter the current and try to have the bait drift through that. In that scenario, imagine that you are immitating something injured that got caught in the current and is struggling to get to calm water. Depth becomes an issue as well. I don't use surface baits unless the water is less than 5', without seeing action on the surface first.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.