Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-10, 03:35 PM   #1
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Worming rig

Hey guys. While I am not ready to go right out and buy something I wanted to ask this question to aid in my research.

I am not happy with using my biatcaster or my UL rig for worming. In fact I am wanting to step my UL down to using 2-4 pound line for panfish, and use my caster for mainly spinners, jigs, jerkbaits, and cranking. A lot to ask of one caster, I know, but I am living on a budget... And it seems to handle all these things well enough.

The one thing I can get happy with is worming. So here is the question. Not asking for specific models here, just what length rod, how fast/slow for the tip, what action to look for? Also, what would be a good gear ratio on the reel?

Whatever I get will be budget more than likely, though I already have a reel I wouldn't mind using if it is ideal enough, so I can put more into a rod.

The reel is a Shimano FX 2500FB.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-10, 03:43 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Personally, I like a casting rig for my worm fishing.

Here's a part of an article I wrote pertaining to selecting technique specific rods.

"Texas Rig – 6’6”-7’4”; M-MH; F-XF – When it comes to length, there is a large selection when it comes to t-rig rods. Some prefer a 6’6”, some prefer a long 7’ or even 7’2”-7’4”. This is mainly personal preference here. A M power is good for lighter t-rig, and a MH is good for heavier ones. Always use a F or XF action for t-rigs. I may go with the F for lighter t-rigs and the XF for heavier ones."

Now that being said, I prefer rods on the longer end of that range. I like a 7' rod, and I love the 7'3" rod I recently got. I use a Medium Heavy power rod for most all of my t-rigging, and I almost always use a Fast Action.

BB
Old 06-29-10, 03:55 PM   #3
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

Here's a part of an article I wrote pertaining to selecting technique specific rods.

"Texas Rig – 6’6”-7’4”; M-MH; F-XF – When it comes to length, there is a large selection when it comes to t-rig rods. Some prefer a 6’6”, some prefer a long 7’ or even 7’2”-7’4”. This is mainly personal preference here. A M power is good for lighter t-rig, and a MH is good for heavier ones. Always use a F or XF action for t-rigs. I may go with the F for lighter t-rigs and the XF for heavier ones."

Now that being said, I prefer rods on the longer end of that range. I like a 7' rod, and I love the 7'3" rod I recently got. I use a Medium Heavy power rod for most all of my t-rigging, and I almost always use a Fast Action.

BB
I just did some garage diving and found a rod I had completely forgot about. It is a 6'6 M action with a fast tip. I may give it a try it is a Shakespeare Cirrus. I will also look into some casting choices. Might be a good thing for when I am ready to upgrade my reel. The older reel can go on the worm rig.

It sure would be nice to just be able to go buy whatever was best... sigh.
Old 06-29-10, 04:29 PM   #4
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

John, if you're looking for a budget rod, my vote is for the Berkley Lightning Rod (about $40). It's hard to beat for the money. Next time you're in BPS or Walmart, pick one up & see how you like the feel of it. If you're going to seriously worm fish, then like BB said, you really need to get a true bait caster. Look around for something used, there's plenty around. Although we all have our favorites, & we bust each others chops over them, most of the big manufacturers make excellent reels. Try to stay away from the Chinese stuff & you should do fine.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 04:35 PM   #5
BassFeverJohn

Thanks guys. I am going to focus my research on baitcasters, as I like them better anyway. I am going to give this Cirrus a try and if I like it I will use it until I can get a better rig.
Old 06-29-10, 04:37 PM   #6
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
On a side note. Thank you for your articles BB. Your one on setting a casting reel was awesome. I have been meaning to thank you for pointing me toward it!
Old 06-29-10, 04:51 PM   #7
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree with what the other have said so far. I would look for a MH F casting rod in the 6'6" - 7' range to start with. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg but you do need to make sure you get a graphite rod with a fast action. Sensitivity is critical in a worming rod.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 06:03 PM   #8
CamG

Just saw this combo today. I actually think this would make a darn nice entry level setup. It's even on sale!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SELL_THUMBNAIL
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 06:37 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassFeverJohn View Post
On a side note. Thank you for your articles BB. Your one on setting a casting reel was awesome. I have been meaning to thank you for pointing me toward it!
No problem man. I help when I can.

BB
Old 06-30-10, 04:29 PM   #10
walkeraviator

I just spent a week fishing with an Abu Garcia Conolon Premier 7ft MH/F bought from Wal-Mart for $41.... worth every penny... lots f sensitivity, good backbone, comfortable, although a smidgen heavy, but no heavier than anything else in that price range... this will be my next budget rod buy...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 05:57 PM   #11
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
I just spent a week fishing with an Abu Garcia Conolon Premier 7ft MH/F bought from Wal-Mart for $41.... worth every penny... lots f sensitivity, good backbone, comfortable, although a smidgen heavy, but no heavier than anything else in that price range... this will be my next budget rod buy...
That's not a bad price, at all.
Old 06-30-10, 09:47 PM   #12
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
John, if you're looking for a budget rod, my vote is for the Berkley Lightning Rod (about $40). It's hard to beat for the money. Next time you're in BPS or Walmart, pick one up & see how you like the feel of it. If you're going to seriously worm fish, then like BB said, you really need to get a true bait caster. Look around for something used, there's plenty around. Although we all have our favorites, & we bust each others chops over them, most of the big manufacturers make excellent reels. Try to stay away from the Chinese stuff & you should do fine.
I checked it out today. It has a real nice feel to it. I forgot to look at the price, but I am sure you are on target.

Thanks
Old 06-30-10, 10:26 PM   #13
BigBassin144

John, I'd give the Shimano Clarus rods a look if you can find them locally. They're great, less expensive rods.

BB
Old 07-01-10, 12:54 AM   #14
Rebbasser

John, if it has a single hook-worm, jig, spinnerbait, etc. I don't throw it on less than a MH action rod. For most a 6-6 or 7' rod will work fine. I want a rod with more backbone so I can get a good hookset. A M action or lighter rod just does not have enough backbone for a good hookset.
Old 07-01-10, 11:59 AM   #15
Bassboss

John, take my word for it, and I don't mean to complicate things, but save your money on a worming rod!!

I went ahead and got a lightning rod and it was a bad move IMO. The rod had didiley squat sensitivity, even when with braid! On the other hand. It did have good back bone and hook setting power!

But DEFINITELY save up John, save your self the trouble, and money! I say go with a vendetta over the Clarus. All though I have not used either of them. If you read the tackle tour review if it, it said that the sensitivity is on par with some 150$ he's fished. However am sure you'll like either one, the Clarus does have a much more classy look to it though!

As for length and action, I agree with Biggins, 6'6" - 7'4", MH F action.
Old 07-01-10, 09:41 PM   #16
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I say go with a vendetta over the Clarus. All though I have not used either .
Bassboss if you havn't used either why is the Vendetta better? I bought a Vendetta and a Bucoo at the same time, The Bucoo gets used the Vendetta just lays there. I got the Vendetta in a MH and its like a broom stick-terrible. I would recommend the Bucoo over Vendetta 10-1. Has for the Clarus, I couldn't tell anything about it.

I love my Bucoo. Its light, sensitive, good hook setting power and paired with my Diawa Terria (sp) its well balaned.
Old 07-03-10, 05:29 PM   #17
Jim80

Quote:

got one of those last year and have beat the piss out of it and it is still a solid rod , I would def buy another one .

Jim
Old 07-03-10, 05:51 PM   #18
Ebbetsguy

Quote:

That’s is the only rod I own, I have 8 of them, in case one breaks. I have 5 rigs, with various bait-casting reels and it does the job with ease. I have the 6'6"(MH/Fast) models, great rods, cover every way I fish. I am not a fan of technique specific rods. I have gone through Daiwas, All Stars and Fenwick’s HMX's and when they stopped making the HMX in 6'6" MH/Fast I found this rod, seems to be wrapped on a comparable blank, and same guides. I would think this has something to do with Pure Fishing owning both labels now.

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 07-03-10 at 05:58 PM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 06:24 PM   #19
walkeraviator

Do they make the Conolon Premier in 7' Medium with a moderate tip???
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 06:31 PM   #20
Ebbetsguy

They are a discontinued rod, search out Wal Mart as they are the only retailer who has them to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 07-04-10 at 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling, what else!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 02:18 AM   #21
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

I went ahead and got a lightning rod and it was a bad move IMO. The rod had didiley squat sensitivity, even when with braid! On the other hand. It did have good back bone and hook setting power!

Wow. The sensitivity was, for me, the strong point of that casting rod!
Old 07-06-10, 03:32 PM   #22
Adamseye
BassFishin.Com Member

I got two rods to mention, both budget/semi-budget rods.

1. Berkley's AMP. $30 rod with good sensitivity for the price.
2. Bass Pro Bionic Blade, $80 rod with top level sensitivity, for the price it's a hard one to beat.

Either way it's all about tight lines, Happy catching!
Adamseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 04:24 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamseye View Post
I got two rods to mention, both budget/semi-budget rods.

1. Berkley's AMP. $30 rod with good sensitivity for the price.
2. Bass Pro Bionic Blade, $80 rod with top level sensitivity, for the price it's a hard one to beat.

Either way it's all about tight lines, Happy catching!
Welcome to the site Adamseye.

First off, I can't believe the Bionic Blades are up to $80. Second, I've used a couple BPS rods, including the Pro Qualifier and Johnny Morris Signature. Both rods had fairly good sensitivity for their price ranges, but definitely not top level. Lastly, I'd give serious consideration to a Shimano Compre, Abu Garcia Vendetta, or Falcon Bucoo in that price range before I'd buy another BPS rod.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.