Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-10, 01:02 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Kory and others - Why a finesse jig in the summer?

Hey Kory, I think I remember reading an article that you like a finesse jig in the summer over a standard jig? This didn't really make scene to me. Now I don't remember the exact details, but why not go straight to the source?

To me, it seams like a larger, bulky jig would be better in the summer, because they get more input energy for the output energy the spend eating a larger craw, rather than a smaller craw.

If anyone else wants to chime in please do!
Old 07-27-10, 01:10 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Maybe because on those tough tourney days down sizing just a little could be the difference in a bite or 2. Just my opinion
Old 07-27-10, 02:25 PM   #3
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As with everything else, depends on where you're fishing. I tend to use smaller profile jigs year round here because the craws in my lake don't get huge. I saw one in the water last night and couldn't believe how much smaller it was than the jig I was using. No wonder I didn't catch anything ! Match the forage in your lake and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-27-10, 03:36 PM   #4
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Hey Kory, I think I remember reading an article that you like a finesse jig in the summer over a standard jig?
Cuz it falls a lot slower.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 06:22 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Cuz it falls a lot slower.
A finesse jig falls slower than the standard???? I always though they fell fast because they had such a thin skit in comparison. I would think a 3/16 oz finesse would fall faster than even a standard 40 or 50 stand 1/4oz jig , with the same trailer. Could be wrong though, I have not been doing this all that long.

Found the article, apparently he likes it because it falls faster, and is more lively, by that I guess he means faster?

Quote:
"The bulk of the skirt and weight of the jig influence the bait's action and fall," Johnson says. "A bulkier skirt is good for colder water because it slows the jig down. As the water warms, bass sometimes like livelier bait with less profile."

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-27-10 at 06:31 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 07:19 PM   #6
rangerryan

If im after numbers i use a finess jig because they get more bites and you can get them to the bottom quickly. If im after big bites i use a big jig,sometimes the fish want a slow fall so i use a bulky jig with a 1/4 or 3/8 head. Sometimes they want it to fall fast so I use a 1/2 head. so for big bites i use a big jig and for numbers i use a small jig. My favorite jig is a 3/8 flippin jig with about 15 strands in it for summer time it falls fast.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 03:37 PM   #7
Raul

Quote:
A finesse jig falls slower than the standard???? I always though they fell fast because they had such a thin skit in comparison. I would think a 3/16 oz finesse would fall faster than even a standard 40 or 50 stand 1/4oz jig , with the same trailer. Could be wrong though, I have not been doing this all that long.

Found the article, apparently he likes it because it falls faster, and is more lively, by that I guess he means faster?
3/16 oz is lighter than 1/4 oz, weights less ---> sinks slower.

3/16 = 0.1875 oz
1/4 = 0.25 oz.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 04:15 PM   #8
walkeraviator

Jig skirts and trailers have a profound effect on fall rate... a 1/4 oz jig with a big flappy trailer and full skirt will have teh same fall rate as a 3/16 with a smaller skirt and smaller trailer... weight isnt the only factor...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 05:55 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:

3/16 = 0.1875 oz
1/4 = 0.25 oz.
I know it's lighter, but, it's also got a much thiner skirt. And the larger jig with the thicker skirt, would have more drag in the water, so it would fall slower.
Old 07-28-10, 06:35 PM   #10
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
I know it's lighter, but, it's also got a much thiner skirt. And the larger jig with the thicker skirt, would have more drag in the water, so it would fall slower.
Very true. You must also consider line diameter and material.

About the only time I fish finesse jigs during the summer months is when I'm fishing deep. I use a 3/16 oz football head, with a 20 strand skirt quite a bit this time of year.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 06:42 PM   #11
Mac2

I'm convinced after talking with several excellent fishermen at the tackle shop that sometimes bass, meaning the larger ones, prefer a lighter, smaller bait. The consensus of their opinions on this matter is that not only are the bass getting a better chance of a slower falling bait, but that the bait itself moves more naturally when lifted, moved, hopped or falling....a live crawdad for example of a fair size, still weighs very little for it's mass. In addition to that, research on live craws by the Berkely Co. substantiates that bass will go for the littler craws first and then work their way up in size.....probably having mostly to do with the craw's ability to fight back. At any rate, at times for a number of reasons, the lighter often times can be better......falling more slowly gives the bass a better chance before disappearing in a weedy bottom, gives the bass the impression as well that the bait is not as quick to move away from the potential strike zone.

On the other hand, when trying for a reaction strike......a different story altogether.

BassBoss,
Your observation concerning size and weight may or may not hold true. It depends on how much heavier and how much LARGER the profile would have to be to make up for the difference in descent. A one ounce jig would have to have a huge number of strands in the skirt and a large trailer to make it fall slower than the small jig having a thinner skirt and trailer.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 08:44 AM   #12
Garry2rs

Don't get too tangled in the math.
The question is: "Why finesse baits in Summer?"
One answer might be; In the Summer there are lots of small young of the year baits.
Another idea could be: In the Summer Bass go deep to find cooler water. The Crayfish in deeper water tend to be smaller. This is because small crayfish don't survive very long in shallow water. In my part of the world crayfish in shallow water are eaten by the little Small Mouth Bass and Rock Bass that swarm the shallows. It might be different where you are, but in Ontario, you will generally find only larger crayfish in the shallows. These are the ones that are too big for the smaller Bass and forage fish to eat.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 09:06 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Well Sammy I am sorry that I just now got around to answering this, I just now saw it. There are so many variables to consider when selecting jig size, style and color. The you throw in a wildcard like the dog days of summer and it's enough to give a guy a stroke just trying to figure it all out. But I do tend to favor a jig with a finesse skirt a lot of the time and the summer months are no different. I will throw football jigs with a finesse skirt too so we are not just talking about roundhead finesse jigs here. The smaller profile will get you more bites when things are tough (at least in my opinion) and the summer months are just about as tough as it gets. There are a lot of times when your line of though is right and you will get as many or more bites with a full skirted jig but that is all part of the trial and error part. While a lot of this boils down to nothing more than confidence, there are a lot of practical reasons to choosing a jig with a smaller profile. Fall rate as mentioned above is a good example, if I am fishing a deep ledge or brushpile then the faster fall rate of the finesse skirt will allow me to get my jig down to the bottom faster. At the same time you can make an argument that you can speed up the fall rate of a full skirted jig by going to a less bulky trailer, and also with less light in the deeper water there are times when the extra bulk of the full skirted jig will allow fish to find your jig easier. In shallower water it's pretty much a no brainer for me when the bite is tough, this is one place I almost always opt for the finesse jig. I look at this situation like this, there is a lot of light in the shallower water so a smaller profile will help keep your jig looking natural and if the fish are up shallow I am convinced that they are feeding so I don't worry about how much energy they are willing to spend to eat my jig. Like I always say, there are no hard and fast rules in fishing. A lot of this comes down to what you have confidence in and being willing to adapt when your not getting bit, there are a lot of times when I will cut off finesse jigs and change to a bulky jig and get bites. At the end of the day it's more about what the fish want than it is what we want.
Old 07-29-10, 09:09 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:

3/16 = 0.1875 oz
1/4 = 0.25 oz.
It's not that simple. Yes a bare 3/16oz jighead will not fall as fast as a 1/4oz jighead. But you consider that there is a lot more silicone skirt material in a full skirt than there is a finesse skirt then you are probably going to find that the 3/16oz jig will fall faster. But there is more than fall rate that I think about because I can change the fall rate by thinning out some strands from the skirt or by going to a more bulky or less bulky trailer.
Old 07-29-10, 09:20 PM   #15
Bassboss

Gotcha! Thanks a bunch Kory! And you're right, it's has allot to do with confidence, and I just gotta good dose of confidance in finesse jigs! Now to accualy fish them!

And are them roughneck jigs on a football head, or round head? Can't really tell from the pics.
Old 07-29-10, 09:24 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Gotcha! Thanks a bunch Kory! And you're right, it's has allot to do with confidence, and I just gotta good dose of confidance in finesse jigs! Now to accualy fish them!

And are them roughneck jigs on a football head, or round head? Can't really tell from the pics.
The Roughneck Finesse jigs are on a roundhead. We also offer finesse football jigs which is a finesse skirt on a football head.
Old 07-29-10, 09:37 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
The Roughneck Finesse jigs are on a roundhead. We also offer finesse football jigs which is a finesse skirt on a football head.
Ooo! Nice! I think I may get a few!
Old 07-31-10, 07:59 PM   #18
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:

I agree. Also in spite of dog days of summer I read where bass are aggressive in the summer . Maybe a matter of finding them. This being said an aggressive bass may be more enticed by a faster fall. Larger slow moving jig in cold weather.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.