Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-10, 06:36 PM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default Crankbait rod question?

I mainly throw crankbaits that dive around 6feet and around 10feet. I also almost always though them in open water. Any suggestions for a good rod to use for these lures?
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 06:59 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I bought a Sr Croix Premier crankbait rod this year and I couldn't be happier. It's a great rod and it won't break the bank. They sell for $120.00 I'd get the 7 foot Med power with the Mod action. That should get you where you want to be, catchin bass!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 08:12 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It all depends on your budget. Like in most cases, I can suggest a rod that costs $60, or one that costs $450.

In the lower end range, check out the Shimano Compre crankbait rods.

In the lower-mid range, the Shimano Crucial, or Powell crankbait rods. I've also heard good things about the 7' Med Mod Damiki Dark Angel too. The Lucky Craft crankbait rods are another option.

In the higher-mid range, Dobyns Champion rods are awesome (and there are plenty of crankbait rods to choose from), Shimano Cumara Reaction, Falcon Cara Reaction, and Phenix Composite Crankbait rods.

For high end, the Daiwa Steez FleX-Lite would be tough to beat. But again, those are $445 to $475 rods.

BB
Old 09-12-10, 08:19 PM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am a big fan of the BPS Crankin Sticks... I know some of the guys on here dont like the new models, but i love em. And at $79, its a killer price...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 09:50 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Kistler Argon are availabe at less than 50% of their original list. For $99 you won't find a better stick. For your specific use the 7'2" crankbait series rod would be my recommendation for long casts in open water that will keep your bait in the strike zone longer. Do you want to pay 129.00 for a 129.00 rod or $99.00 for a $209.00 rod? To me the choice is easy, buy the best for less. There are several options, but the final choice can only be yours. So do some homework and choose what's going to work for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KISTLER-ARGON-AF...item483a3cca15
Simmon's is great to do business with, I've bought over a dozen rods from them - I highly recommend them.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-13-10 at 08:43 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-10, 10:27 PM   #6
tarpon120
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I just bought a Kistler from Simmons Sporting Goods on Ebay for $70.00. These 7' grahite rods taht are very nice. Bought a second for my son also. These are crankin rods.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:18 PM   #7
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I bought a Sr Croix Premier crankbait rod this year and I couldn't be happier. It's a great rod and it won't break the bank. They sell for $120.00 I'd get the 7 foot Med power with the Mod action. That should get you where you want to be, catchin bass!!!
Yea I agree I like St Croix rods alot personally I dont think you can go wrong with them for the money.Get one that is 7ft long with a moderate action and either a medium or medium heavy power.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 12:29 PM   #8
OUfish09
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a crankin carrot stix 6'9" paired up with a Shimano Citica for 6-10ft cranks and i love it for this application.Its a well balanced combo. You can find them for $89 now on Tackle Warehouse.
OUfish09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 01:01 PM   #9
DougV

Check out the Dobyns Rods...I love my Glass Cranking Rods from them very balanced and has a unique Graphite Handle over Glass Core. Think that amazes me I can crank 10-12 hours a day and arms are not wore out due to the excellent balance and torque distribution characteristics of the rods. I love Glass because it allows the bait to function as it was designed - doesn't kill any of the action.
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 01:12 PM   #10
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekw3 View Post
I mainly throw crankbaits that dive around 6feet and around 10feet.
Carbonlite- rod model: CL70MTM 7' Med Mod.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_175-3-0

I have a few of their crankin' stick too.
Old 10-01-10, 10:53 AM   #11
DougV

Here is couple Videos that show the Dobyns Cranking Rods and another in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrBHuQ4Tuvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJLDKygb1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zUr9UbWIb4
Old 10-01-10, 03:50 PM   #12
Dave63

If you don't want to spend a pile on it, get a Shimano Voltaeus for around $50...
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 05:49 PM   #13
Tavery5

Default Glass -VS- Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Check out the Dobyns Rods...I love my Glass Cranking Rods from them very balanced and has a unique Graphite Handle over Glass Core. Think that amazes me I can crank 10-12 hours a day and arms are not wore out due to the excellent balance and torque distribution characteristics of the rods. I love Glass because it allows the bait to function as it was designed - doesn't kill any of the action.

Interesting, can you go into a little more detail about your thoughts on graphite rods killing the action of crankbaits?
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 06:17 PM   #14
DougV

Typically Graphite is a stiffer material and the stiffer the rod the more it pulls the line in a straight line back which does not allow the bait to move. I use some special - custom built Square Bills and graphite rods do not allow these baits to "hunt" from side to side. A Glass rod does not do this and allows the bait to work as it was designed. Some of these baits will cut a 5' to 6' swath - 2' to 3' off center - running back and forth. Graphite rods and I've tried a pile of them cut about a 1' to 2' swath...totally killing the effectiveness of these baits and why bass cannot resist them.
Old 10-01-10, 07:34 PM   #15
Tavery5

Quote:
Typically Graphite is a stiffer material and the stiffer the rod the more it pulls the line in a straight line back which does not allow the bait to move. I use some special - custom built Square Bills and graphite rods do not allow these baits to "hunt" from side to side. A Glass rod does not do this and allows the bait to work as it was designed. Some of these baits will cut a 5' to 6' swath - 2' to 3' off center - running back and forth. Graphite rods and I've tried a pile of them cut about a 1' to 2' swath...totally killing the effectiveness of these baits and why bass cannot resist them.
I understand what you are saying, but can't say that I have ever experienced what you are speaking of. I think a few years back that glass may have held an advantage over graphite in couple of key areas, one was the ultra soft tip, the second was price. Now days I don't think either of those are an advantage. Todays graphite crank rods are much lighter, much more sensitive, nice for when you are dragging cranks across the bottom, and have an equally slow action. I think if you try a quality graphite crankbait rod in a 7ft,M,Mod you will be impressed with how far graphite has developed in the cranking game. I chose the above model, because I think it is what I would use to throw those square bills on.

One of the great things about fishing is the incredible amount of choices we have. I think it comes down to each individual and his/her preference. While mine is with graphite, I certainly respect your opinions about glass.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-10, 09:59 AM   #16
DougV

Exactly...everyone has their choice and the Reason Dobyns builds both Glass and Graphite Cranking Rods in the same action but for me Glass outperforms and does what I need it too do. Glass is much more forgiving of a material plus the way it loads up. I prefer the fish to load up with a crankbait rod - vary rarely do I set the hook on a crankbait more of a swift pull to set the hooks. That's one of the things with graphite is to much sensitivity and you will over set or pre-maturely set the hook before the bait is in the fish for most successful chances of landing the fish. You can condition yourself for delaying the hooksweep but I would rather have them load up on their own. Yes glass has less sensitivity and that's one of the positives for me! That's one of the things I like with the Dobyns he has increased sensitivity with a Graphite butt section but still gives me the glass I want that increases my landing percentage. Moving baits do not require the same feel requirements for me as does others. You have to find what works for you...that's the thing about manufacaturers today they have a tremendous variety.

Get what works for you...
Old 10-02-10, 10:53 AM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Exactly...everyone has their choice and the Reason Dobyns builds both Glass and Graphite Cranking Rods in the same action but for me Glass outperforms and does what I need it too do. Glass is much more forgiving of a material plus the way it loads up. I prefer the fish to load up with a crankbait rod - vary rarely do I set the hook on a crankbait more of a swift pull to set the hooks. That's one of the things with graphite is to much sensitivity and you will over set or pre-maturely set the hook before the bait is in the fish for most successful chances of landing the fish. You can condition yourself for delaying the hooksweep but I would rather have them load up on their own. Yes glass has less sensitivity and that's one of the positives for me! That's one of the things I like with the Dobyns he has increased sensitivity with a Graphite butt section but still gives me the glass I want that increases my landing percentage. Moving baits do not require the same feel requirements for me as does others. You have to find what works for you...that's the thing about manufacaturers today they have a tremendous variety.

Get what works for you...
There's nothing wrong with your choice of glass rods, as both have their advantages, and it's all personal preference. But I'm curious. You say Dobyns build glass and graphite in the same actions, yet you say you like the action of the glass rods better.

Dobyn's Glass rods are actually pretty unique in the crankbait rod world as they feature a "fast" action. Because it's still glass, it's not the fast action we're used to in a graphite rod. And despite its fast action, it still has that soft forgiving element of glass rods. However, their graphite CB rods are a MF action, which is typical of crankbait rods.

Also, I'm pretty sure Dobyns Glass CB rods aren't composite rods, they're all glass. I've never heard of them having a graphite butt section.

BB
Old 10-02-10, 11:19 PM   #18
BassBandit

Doug is an expert.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/ba...d=18392&type=7

I have a glass rod that's hardly used because its too "wimpy" like a noodle. Hate it. Overall I prefer a composite rod for crankin'. Better distance and more accurate. Best of both world.
Old 10-03-10, 12:55 AM   #19
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If you don't want to spend a pile on it, get a Shimano Voltaeus for around $50...
I was recently on a trip and only took shorter rods with me. The fish were eating cranks and I needed something quick. I found one of these for $30 in the bargain cave at Cabela's so I got it. Mine's a 7' MH Fast. I don't know what it's made out of but I really like it for deeper cranks. And even though it has a soft tip there's enough backbone to rip a trap out of the grass. I haven't used too many different cranking rods but I sure like this (not designed for cranking) better than my BPS crankin stick. I think I would like the rod better than my Quantum KVD cranking rod if it had better component.

If you are on a tight budget give them a try.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 10:14 AM   #20
Dave63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I was recently on a trip and only took shorter rods with me. The fish were eating cranks and I needed something quick. I found one of these for $30 in the bargain cave at Cabela's so I got it. Mine's a 7' MH Fast. I don't know what it's made out of but I really like it for deeper cranks. And even though it has a soft tip there's enough backbone to rip a trap out of the grass. I haven't used too many different cranking rods but I sure like this (not designed for cranking) better than my BPS crankin stick. I think I would like the rod better than my Quantum KVD cranking rod if it had better component.

If you are on a tight budget give them a try.
Not bad for an inexpensive composite rod, is it?
Old 10-03-10, 11:09 AM   #21
Bender

Not bad at all. I don't think that I would like it for say a jig rod, but the MH "fast" seems pretty good for deeper crankbaits. Maybe the Medium would be better for the 6' divers that Mikekw3 asked about.

I was just giving it a bend test and the closest rod I have to it is the KVD Tour 7' Medium cranking rod. It is funny how much ratings vary from mfg to mfg. It is different than another MH Fast that I tried against it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 01:06 PM   #22
Dave63

I wouldn't use it for anything but cranks or maybe big thumper spinnerbaits. I used mine (7 foot MH/F) the other day for everything from 6-18 footers with no issues. Seems more like a M/F to me...I do like the composite feel though. You can feel the vibration fine but it's not like holding on to a drill with a bent bit...
Old 10-05-10, 07:00 PM   #23
3dkicker

I use St. Croix S-glass rods. They're 10 years old but work well. Not too expensive or at least weren't when I got them.

Friend of mine likes Kistler and KVD Quantum but likes the older model at $70 vs the new ones at $150.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.