Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-07-13, 05:30 AM   #351
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think our timing is about right.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 08:06 AM   #352
bassboogieman

DALE HOLLOW LAKE FISHING REGULATIONS!!! CHECK THE BOOK!
3 pole limit in boat, 6 pole limit on land (see special Obey river rules)
Largemouth-Spotted-Smallmouth Bass NEW LIMIT 5 per day in combo, only TWO may be smallmouth!
Largemouth Bass- 15" min length
Spotted- no length limit
Smallmouth- 2 per day, 16-21" slot. ONE fish may be under 16" and ONE over 21". This includes Wolf River to So. Ford Rd bridge
Crappie- 15 per day any combo, 10" minimum length
Catfish- no limit under 34", only ONE over 34" per day
White Bass- 15 per day, no length limit
Yellow Bass- no limits
Walleye- 5 per day, 16" minimum length
Rock Bass- 20 per day, no length limit
Redear Sunfish- 20 per day, no length limit
Muskie- 1 per day, 36" minimum length
Bluegill-Warmouth-sunfishes- no limits
Trout- Apr 1-Oct 31-7 per day (no more than 2 lake trout), no length limit;
Trout- Nov 1-Mar 31- 2 per day, 22" minimum length
Trout Special Rules: On east fork of Obey between Compton Boat Ramp to Hwy 52 Bridge, ONE HOOK SINGLE POINT, or ONE LURE w\ SINGLE HOOK SINGLE POINT. no more than 3 poles per angler.

Is anyone aware of the FIRST ITEM? That can't be right for bass fisherman. I was certainly in violation last year if it was. Or does that pertain ONLY to those targeting trout? OR, does it mean only THREE LINES IN THE WATER. Whatever, that seems poorly written, unclear and just plain unreasonable to me (unless it means 3 lines in the water, it must mean lines in the water??).

Last edited by bassboogieman; 05-07-13 at 08:17 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 10:22 AM   #353
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bruce...it means three poles in use.

I make this distinction because technically, it does not mean "lines".

For instance, sometimes I will use a "cheater" on a downrigger pole. It's a separate line on a snap swivel that is put on the downrigger line that essentially finds its way to the "bow"...about half as deep as the primary lure. So one pole...two lines. Perfectly legal by Dale Hollow regs.
Old 05-07-13, 11:09 AM   #354
bassboogieman

Thanks for the confirmation, I thought that HAD to be what it meant. But as written is says 3 IN the boat, which could mean to a nit picker like me, THREE POLES IN THE BOAT - literally - and that really does not make sense. It could have been worded differently for clarity.
Old 05-07-13, 12:07 PM   #355
nobass

you also can not use a rig with morfe than three hooks you may have 5 baits bu two have to be hookless. 2 small mouth limit is to protect dale hallow from being overfish of smallies. bruce you are right if you are fishing for trount only 3 poles in boat per angler. have 4 in boat three in water you are going to get fined if caught. thats only in east fork of obey river
Old 05-07-13, 01:06 PM   #356
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought that HAD to be what it meant. But as written is says 3 IN the boat, which could mean to a nit picker like me, THREE POLES IN THE BOAT - literally - and that really does not make sense. It could have been worded differently for clarity.

Yeah, as opposed to "on land". I agree...they should have said "from a boat" and "from shore".
Old 05-07-13, 03:53 PM   #357
woody

Oh yeah, and stay out of the small cove next to the dam. It's where the army corp of Engineers docks there boats. I was run out of there last year by the DNR after catching a mess of spotted bass next to their boathouse.

-Mark
Old 05-07-13, 04:18 PM   #358
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Oh yeah, and stay out of the small cove next to the dam. It's where the army corp of Engineers docks there boats. I was run out of there last year by the DNR after catching a mess of spotted bass next to their boathouse.

-Mark
LOL They are saving all those spots for themselves! I say we all go in there and fish it like crazy.....okay maybe not....
Old 05-07-13, 06:50 PM   #359
woody

HAHAHA!

O.K., just one stipulation though... Bryce goes in with us, in his slow boat. So that when the DNR arrives we all can make a run for it! LOL kidding of course

-Mark
Old 05-07-13, 07:58 PM   #360
nofearengineer

Quote:
HAHAHA!

O.K., just one stipulation though... Bryce goes in with us, in his slow boat. So that when the DNR arrives we all can make a run for it! LOL kidding of course

-Mark
Ohhhhhhhhh....that was a low blow, Sir.
Old 05-07-13, 08:27 PM   #361
BassinBandit

Quote:
HAHAHA!

-Mark
Thats Brilliant!!!!! He will probably go after the slowest but with me and dad on my boat I am not sure we could outrun him.....lol
Old 05-08-13, 09:47 AM   #362
nofearengineer

Just remember, guys... if you want to outrun me, you have to get past me first. And my boat is an ironclad.

RAMMING SPEED!!!
Old 05-08-13, 11:06 AM   #363
bassboogieman

No problem, most of us can be on plane and gone before you begin to move...
we just have to KEEP you behind us to avoid any blockage...

Now on another note, I was in a store I NEVER GO IN this morning, actually I went in for a soft pretzel from a concession that rents space from them - not to actually shop - and I cannot pass up the fishing section, though they rarely have anything I want. It's just a bad habit and you just never know.

So I'm in the fishing section and they have nothing I want - EXCEPT - I happened to see a small Berkley swim bait (very much like a Storm Wild Eye, but 2.5" and began thinking about last year at Dale when I found balls of bait the Smallmouth were feeding on, and this bait was almost a perfect match in size and color. So yeah, I bought a couple packs mainly to try as a follow-up bait if a fish misses a popper. I'll probably cast it around a bait ball it I see any breaking the surface. I don't really do the separate follow-up bait thing, if a bass misses my lure I usually just cast it out again, I'm just not serious enough to do that, but I keep reading about the follow-up tactic so I'll give it a shot. The Berkley is rigged (just like the Storm) with a hook and embedded weight. Looks good, the Bait Monkey probably designed it himself just to snag guys like me.
Old 05-08-13, 07:21 PM   #364
woody

Yes indeed... the same thinking... Big Hammers are spoken highly of, when going after the brown fish.

-Mark
Old 05-08-13, 11:46 PM   #365
nofearengineer

Word of warning guys...the DNR at Dale Hollow even went so far last year as to check the DATE on my fire extinguisher. It was expired, and the guy was pretty nice about it.

So I bought a new one tonight...only about $17 at Wal Mart.

Besides...they had Pop R's on sale for $1.50.
Old 05-10-13, 12:24 PM   #366
IUbass

Well guys, from what I gathered I was first told "3 poles on the boat per person" I then asked does that mean 3 on the deck or 3 in general, her answer was "you can only fish with 3 poles at a time." So this makes me think you can have more than 3 on the boat, but not 3 in the water. I think it is definitely a question for a TDNR individual if you guys see one at the ramp.

Wish I could attend this year, but I'm finishing up my last classes. Will definitely make it down next year. I wish yall the best of luck, and will be praying for safe travels and safety while yall are down there. I know CHR is putting in more docks, so hopefully the parking situation is not too bad, I'll be making my first trip to DHL in 3 weeks. Best of luck guys!
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 01:34 PM   #367
woody

IUbass,
Thanks for the well wishes. They are much appreciated.

-Mark
Old 05-10-13, 01:40 PM   #368
woody

I don't think the clock at work can move any slower...!

-Mark
Old 05-10-13, 02:06 PM   #369
bassboogieman

WORK? I have a vague memory of what that was... and it gets more vague EVERY WEEK! It won't be long now. Today I cooked up a pot of chili for lunches next week, the smell is calling me to sample some. I want to get my boat packed up this evening and covered as it is supposed to rain tomorrow. Need to cut my grass, so tomorrow I can take it easy and get ready for that LONG drive on Sunday. See y'all Sunday evening...
Old 05-10-13, 02:14 PM   #370
nofearengineer

Work has been absolutely brutal lately. This will be one extremely well-deserved vacation. (He says as he posts from work. )
Old 05-10-13, 03:49 PM   #371
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
WORK? I have a vague memory of what that was... and it gets more vague EVERY WEEK! It won't be long now. Today I cooked up a pot of chili for lunches next week, the smell is calling me to sample some. I want to get my boat packed up this evening and covered as it is supposed to rain tomorrow. Need to cut my grass, so tomorrow I can take it easy and get ready for that LONG drive on Sunday. See y'all Sunday evening...
Hey I can actually say I know how you feel! but thats not really a good thing for me
Old 05-10-13, 04:58 PM   #372
MississippiBoy

Just FYI, a DNR boat stopped me and checked my license, life jackets, etc. I don't know how many rods I had out on deck, but since nothing was working for me, I bet it was almost every one I own.....probably 7-8. He didn't say anything about having too many, so I assume "3 at a time" means "3 lines in the water per person."
Old 05-10-13, 06:30 PM   #373
bcklash

Made a list at work to make sure I don't forget anything for Zookerfest. I had it laying on my work bench and people would come and see it and read it. Well guess the topic of conversation was for 2 days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	list 003.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	8738
Old 05-10-13, 06:34 PM   #374
nobass

let me guess gatoraide. did my food shopping today, boat is loaded. just got to pack the clothes. and load the truck
Old 05-10-13, 07:01 PM   #375
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Made a list at work to make sure I don't forget anything for Zookerfest. I had it laying on my work bench and people would come and see it and read it. Well guess the topic of conversation was for 2 days.

Attachment 8738

No Fear please note that the Monkey has been packed and ready to go.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.