Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-15-11, 06:50 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Line for spinning reel - P-line CX vs. Floroclear.

Turns out I'm not liking braid on my spinning reels as much as I thought I would. I might go back to 8lb floroclear which I liked before. It was very thin, and handled extremely well on 2000 size spinning reels. But it still had a little to much stretch for my liking. CX looks like a good alternative. Same floro coated copolymer, but 30% less stretch then "average" line. It says it's thin and manageable, but I've heard that it can be a little stiff (I've heard the same thing about floroclear though). I'd also like to know which is more abrasion resistant as I'll be fishing around a lot of rocks a trees.

I'm open to options, but would rather not go to full fluorocarbon cause of the price. The only one I'd consider is Cabela's No-Vis, I hear it's good and it's cheap.

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-15-11 at 07:36 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 07:16 PM   #2
keithdog

I don't have any experience with the CX, but I do love Flouroclear. I've never found it to be stiff. If anything, it's more managable than most other comparable lines. Plus it's strong with good knot strength. It seems all the makers are claiming their lines have less stretch. I wouldn't take much interrest in that part of a lines advertising.
Old 06-15-11, 07:46 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Out of curiosity Sammy, what don't you like about braid on spinning reels?

As for the question, I've never used CX either (just got my first spool of CXX, haven't used it much yet). But like Keith, I've never found floroclear to be stiff. It's tough to get abrasion resistance and manageability in a line because abrasion resistance and stiffness usually go hand in hand.

If you want abrasion resistance without going to a 100% FC, you might want to try YZ Hybrid. I personally didn't have a good experience with the manageability of it, but if there's one good thing about the line, it's that it's TOUGH.

BB
Old 06-15-11, 08:19 PM   #4
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Neither. Power Pro 10lb braid.
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 08:59 PM   #5
Bassboss

Thanks for the reposes guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Out of curiosity Sammy, what don't you like about braid on spinning reels?

As for the question, I've never used CX either (just got my first spool of CXX, haven't used it much yet). But like Keith, I've never found floroclear to be stiff. It's tough to get abrasion resistance and manageability in a line because abrasion resistance and stiffness usually go hand in hand.

If you want abrasion resistance without going to a 100% FC, you might want to try YZ Hybrid. I personally didn't have a good experience with the manageability of it, but if there's one good thing about the line, it's that it's TOUGH.

BB
I hated having to tie leaders over and over, even a long 10' foot one. Leader material is just something more you've gotta bring. And I hate the way is sounds on guides. I use my spinning rod most when I go smallie fishing in the river (I don't use it too much in the lakes, but do), and I find my self re-tying lots, and breaking off quite a bit too. And like I said, just something more to bring.

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-16-11 at 12:04 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 09:51 PM   #6
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have tried both the 8lb. CX and the 8 lb. Floroclear. The CX was very thin and manageable but lacked strength. The line got chewed up pretty good, in a short amount of time. The floroclear was about as manageable, and was much more abraison resistant than the CX... so Floroclear would be my choice in all situations.

Now that being said, if you want a very manageable line that is almost as strong as CXX, go with 6 or 8 lb P-Line Voltage. I think it is the best overall line that P-Line makes, works great for everything. I have never tried the Voltage on a spinning reel, but a tournament partner of mine has and he seems to like it. I am buying the 3000 yard spools of Voltage i like it so well. I use 12 lb. on my tube rod and crankbait rod. Smooth casting and very strong stuff.

Ryan
Old 06-15-11, 10:32 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I have tried both the 8lb. CX and the 8 lb. Floroclear. The CX was very thin and manageable but lacked strength. The line got chewed up pretty good, in a short amount of time. The floroclear was about as manageable, and was much more abraison resistant than the CX... so Floroclear would be my choice in all situations.

Now that being said, if you want a very manageable line that is almost as strong as CXX, go with 6 or 8 lb P-Line Voltage. I think it is the best overall line that P-Line makes, works great for everything. I have never tried the Voltage on a spinning reel, but a tournament partner of mine has and he seems to like it. I am buying the 3000 yard spools of Voltage i like it so well. I use 12 lb. on my tube rod and crankbait rod. Smooth casting and very strong stuff.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. Which would you say is lowest stretch out of the lot?
Old 06-16-11, 06:09 AM   #8
rrw4258

I would say that the CX probably had the least stretch but it wasn't by much at all. I never let stretch be a factor when buying line (except braid). The voltage has just a little bit of stretch but not much more than the floroclear. If I had to pick a overall line it would be the Voltage. But like I said, never tried it on a spinning reel, so Floroclear may be the better choice becasue of manageability.

Ryan
Old 06-16-11, 08:19 AM   #9
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fish shallow, clear rivers for smallmouth and use spinning gear with 15lb braid most of the time. I almost never use a leader. I used 8lb mono/copoly for a long time, but I just couldn't get a good enough hookset with it unless I was throwing something with treble hooks.

I do use straight 15lb Floroclear on a baitcasting setup for buzzbaits, swimbaits, and plastics. Hooksets are much easier with the heavier rod and line.

To answer your question though, I think both of those lines are good products. You can't really go wrong.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 10:15 AM   #10
Bender

I hear your frustrations on trying leaders all the time. I still prefer InvizX and feel it is worth the extra few dollars. Or there are others that are less expensive now. I bought a spool of Stren's new low cost fluoro but it is weak and breaks easily by hand. It won't even get spooled up by me. I also tried Viscous a couple years ago and it lasted one trip before I took it off and threw it away. I hear that they corrected the problems they had and the new line is supposed to be better.

Directly answering your question, I have only used Fluoroclear. It did seem springy and a little less sensitive than I would have liked. I bought some new spools of it this year and it has a green tint to it. I have it on a few reels but haven't used them much. I don't know if they changed the formula or not.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 11:46 AM   #11
Bassboss

Thanks guys. I'm kind hesitant to buy InvizX. I've read of people hatting I because of the stretch it had, and I'd rather not blow 20 bucks on something I don't like ya know? I've heard the same thing about florocast Bender, definitely not something I'll ever buy.
Old 06-16-11, 12:11 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfender View Post
Neither. Power Pro 10lb braid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Turns out I'm not liking braid on my spinning reels as much as I thought I would.
Must've missed that part, huh Andy?
Old 06-16-11, 02:32 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Haven't tried any of the CX,I was such a non fan of the CXX,I didnt even want to try other Pline products...Joe told me about the Fluoroclear,and hyped it up pretty good...So I spool up my spinning reel with 8lb for dropshotting...The line is extremely manageable,and holds up well imo...No breaks offs,or chewed up line to report..Im good with the amount of stretch as well...Definitely not the most sensitive line out there,but good for what I use it for.
I also have 10 and 12lb fluoroclear on my cranking rigs...No issue there as well...Im digging it.
Old 06-16-11, 04:41 PM   #14
Bassboss

lol thanks Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Haven't tried any of the CX,I was such a non fan of the CXX,I didnt even want to try other Pline products...Joe told me about the Fluoroclear,and hyped it up pretty good...So I spool up my spinning reel with 8lb for dropshotting...The line is extremely manageable,and holds up well imo...No breaks offs,or chewed up line to report..Im good with the amount of stretch as well...Definitely not the most sensitive line out there,but good for what I use it for.
I also have 10 and 12lb fluoroclear on my cranking rigs...No issue there as well...Im digging it.
lol that's cause you got 17lb (?) CXX! Good to know you're liking floroclear.
Old 06-16-11, 05:14 PM   #15
islandbass

One major thing I note and this is not necessarily a bad thing, but for me, PLine's lines, CX Premium, CXX, and Fluoroclear, , while they perform well, have memory up the ying yang and they acquire rather quickly.

Granted, it does not affect line performance and it is not an issue with casting reels, but I'd be a super sharp Jeopardy champion if I had half the memory those lines possess.
Old 06-16-11, 06:30 PM   #16
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Ive been using the BPS FC...I have very few complaints
Old 06-18-11, 11:45 AM   #17
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've used all the P-Line lines, and I like the Flouroclear the best. If you get enough of it paid out, and put it under tension it exhibits less memory than the others. I am sure I look like and idiot, but since I don't have a boat, when I spool up fresh line, I hook to my trailer hitch on my truck and walk all the way up my street (when it's not busy of course) and really put some tension on the new line, make 30 or 40 simulated hook sets and really keep it held taut for a long period--30-40 seconds a couple of time--seems to help. I also use KVD (Clever Innovations) Line and Lure conditioner on all of my lines.

The CX is very thin comparatively and breaks easily lb vs lb. I think this is simply the case for anything except braid--thinnner means weaker.....CXX is tough but has the most memory of CX, CXX and Flouroclear for sure to me.

If you are looking at 8 lb on a 2000 series spinner, I would defintiely choose the Flouroclear. I have tried a lot of other copolymers and 100% flouro's, and with the exception of not sinking, I prefer the P-line flouroclear. If you want 100% Flouro, I actually prefer Stren Flourocast over invisix, Tatsu or just about anything else you can mention, and there are few I haven't tried. I would add that the Vicious stuff is pretty damn good, and I would give it second place behind the Flourocast all around.

Less memory is always big to me on spinners, which is why I still use some mono ocassionally, but really find Flourclear from P-Line does darn near as well lb for lb.
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 04:52 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks guys. I'm kind hesitant to buy InvizX. I've read of people hatting I because of the stretch it had, and I'd rather not blow 20 bucks on something I don't like ya know? I've heard the same thing about florocast Bender, definitely not something I'll ever buy.
I've been using InvisX for over 2 years and haven't had a problem yet. Using 12lb test on a baitcaster, I've had no problems getting solid hook sets with jigs, t-rigs, senkos, spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, jerkbaits, and even an occasional crankbait. When I broke the Seaguar Red Label deep in a backlash on my Fuego in Alabama, I didn't hesitate to stick my reel with the 12lb InvisX on my jig rod for the remainder of the day.

BB
Old 06-19-11, 09:26 AM   #19
BigBassin144

Sammy, I believe you asked about Berkley's new Nanofil on another thread. I checked it out while at Cabela's last night and talked to saleman about it. We agreed the only thing we could compare it to was dental floss, and the white color didn't help that comparison, lol.

While it was very smooth, it was also flat. It did feel very similar to how dental floss does. I could twist the line around between my fingers and watch it flip from the thin side to the thick side. It seems like you'd get a lot of line dig with this stuff. This will be one line I won't be trying.

BB
Old 06-19-11, 09:34 PM   #20
Bassboss

I saw nanofil at cabelas the other night too. Very smooth, and thin. But I agree, definitely flat. I'm still not appose to trying it. But wont be buying it at retail price. 20 bucks for 150 yards is pretty darn steep.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.