Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-10-07, 01:33 PM   #26
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have an All Star Big Boy 7', but I have not used it too much. It is definitely stout.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 05:45 PM   #27
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBass View Post
PNJ, The weight is alot!

Ill look into a Setyr Stick then.
I don't really get caught up in the weight as a determining factor.Its more on how it performs out on the water.I may be straying towards old age, but I ain't so old I can't use a heavier weight flipping stick all day long day after day. Roflmao... If its light weight that you are looking for, look for a 1 piece rod instead of a telescopic rod blank.Actually I was baiting Lizards with the Saint Crow post, Saint Croix makes nice rods, it is on the heavy side , but its not unbearable to fish all day long.The MH action of Saint Crow is like a Heavy in other brands.Difficult to pitch jigs with, but you can get by with it if you like to flip more than pitch. Here is a early spring bass caught on the saint crow rod.I take that because of the hillbillys in the area, you might haveto drop rods and go to fist fighting for a good spot on the creek to fish. Roflmao... P N J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saint crow.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	1259  
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 06:14 PM   #28
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thats the advantage to me about carrying many rods, you can use that heavy long rod for thick trash, but as we all know, all day on the water doesn't necessarily mean we are flipping to the same objects..I guess I was pretty lucky
when taught to bass fish, cus the guys that taught me flipped most of the time, I learn the other techniques of bass fishing mostly through tournament partners and then worked on refining my game as the years went by..I'll pick up the heavy line, rod, and1/2 jig with a craw or uncle josh pork on it and work when needed, but I prefer to switch worm rods and rods I use only for tubes through out the day. In other words, that flipping stick gets heavy rofl...and yes pnj, i got 10 years on ya but don't feel old yet, I am on the rebound from when i was 42 and felt like shyt
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 06:21 PM   #29
PowerBass

I think I may drop down to a 7ft MH, it is lighter, and not as fatuguing.
Old 01-10-07, 08:04 PM   #30
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

LOL Jolly.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 10:35 PM   #31
flippin4it
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have had a Grandt 7'6 flippin stick for awhile and love it. But for C-mass I got a Kistler Mag TS 7'8 and this is paired up with a Pflueger Summit w/ Power Pro 30lbs braid. I fished with it for the past 2 weekends and love it, it is light and sensitive.... Under $200 to your door from Tackle warehouse.
Old 01-12-07, 09:14 PM   #32
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I don't really get caught up in the weight as a determining factor.Its more on how it performs out on the water.I may be straying towards old age, but I ain't so old I can't use a heavier weight flipping stick all day long day after day. Roflmao... If its light weight that you are looking for, look for a 1 piece rod instead of a telescopic rod blank.Actually I was baiting Lizards with the Saint Crow post, Saint Croix makes nice rods, it is on the heavy side , but its not unbearable to fish all day long.The MH action of Saint Crow is like a Heavy in other brands.Difficult to pitch jigs with, but you can get by with it if you like to flip more than pitch. Here is a early spring bass caught on the saint crow rod.I take that because of the hillbillys in the area, you might haveto drop rods and go to fist fighting for a good spot on the creek to fish. Roflmao... P N J

I knew you were baiting me, but decided to wait for more rotflmao. Just pair that Saint Croix up with a Shimano, and you'll be the BOMB

Lizards
Old 01-14-07, 09:01 AM   #33
1FASTLASER

Flippin sticks have always been a thorn in my side. Here's my .02 worth. Why do we spend 150 180 or even more for a flippin stick. As a bass fisherman we are always lookin for that edge which translates to sensitivity. So far I havent picked up a 7'6" rod that wasnt tip heavy. And the tip being heavy takes away from the senitivity of the rod. It just blows my mind. Then u have the people that say put some weight on the rear of the handle...does it work .yes it does but I just got through paying 180 for a LIGHT weight rod only to ADD WEIGHT to it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm first thing comes to mind is HERE'S YOUR SIGN. I've built several hundred custom rods and to date the only way I can come close to accomplishing this a 1 piece blank usually of 8ft or more in length and then cut it to suit the needs. Now you have a rod that balances well and aint so heavy at the tip. Isnt that the whole idea behind the jig stick. Flip in there with ease and be able to feel a fly fart at 100yds. Just my .02 worth.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 01-14-07 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 05:59 PM   #34
pig n jig

Laser,I don't know what to think about your post.I also agree adding weight doesn't make sense.Physics , or better yet, fulcrum plays a role in heavy rod tips when dealing with long rod blanks.I would rather pay the price of a unbalanced rod tip than sacrifice the length when jig fishing.Its easier to generate a strong hookset, or to catch up to slack line by using the longer rod blank.I have only 1 rod that seems really out of balance and that is the Bass pro shop Extreme flipping stick. I glued a wooden craft ball on handle end to do 2 things , balance the rod tip better and to fit in the hinge part of my arm when fighting a fish out of heavy cover.It worked fine, but I removed it to find another solution that doesn't look so strange. P N J
Old 01-14-07, 09:48 PM   #35
Vabass22

Actually, right now, I am pitching with a 6' mh cherrywood rod. Laugh all you want but out of all my rods, that one performs the best when pitching.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 06:19 AM   #36
dodgeguy

i balance all my rods with weights.at the end of the day you are much less fatigued.
Old 01-15-07, 12:05 PM   #37
pig n jig

Dodge, I don't understand why you would want to add more weight to a rod ?If they built them right, you wouldn't get tired of fishing them ?Y'all need to find a Castaway HG40 Bud Pruitt series Heavy action flipping stick to handle.They are $129.00, but they are the best ,balanced flipping stick I have ever used.I still like it better than any of the more expensive rods I own. P N J
Old 01-15-07, 12:16 PM   #38
mont_lunker_hunter

Any of you guys use Falcon rods? I've been using them for about 5 years and i really like them. Jolly, my flippin rod is a Falcon Lowrider XG, 7', heavy action. I like the 7' rather than the 7.5 because i use it in thick standing timber where things can get a little tight. That shorter rod is just easier for me to menuever in the tight areas.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 01:20 PM   #39
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Dodge, I don't understand why you would want to add more weight to a rod ?If they built them right, you wouldn't get tired of fishing them ?Y'all need to find a Castaway HG40 Bud Pruitt series Heavy action flipping stick to handle.They are $129.00, but they are the best ,balanced flipping stick I have ever used.I still like it better than any of the more expensive rods I own. P N J
because i've never picked up any baitcaster rod that was neutral balanced at the trigger.i've tried all my friends glx's and top of the line st.croixs and a couple of customs guys had.even kistlers are tip heavy.each and every one is tip heavy to me.there is still an advantage to buying a light rod in that the lighter rod takes less weight to balance.with a properly balanced rod you don't feel the weight.it increases your feel because you aren't fighting tip weight.i started balancing rods when my elbow got tendinitus one year.i couldn't cast unless the rod was balanced.it caused way to much pain.i started balancing my rods and have never had the problem again.
Old 01-15-07, 02:53 PM   #40
mont_lunker_hunter

yeah, i agree dodge, i balance mine as well. I use those rubber caps made for chair legs.
Old 01-15-07, 04:50 PM   #41
skeeter944

hey mount,where could i get those caps? at lowes or home depot or somothing? also,what size? thanks!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 05:07 PM   #42
mont_lunker_hunter

almost any where. I got mine at Wal-Mart ('course I'm from Arkansas, we get everything at wal-mart!). Anyway...you can get different sizes, i would recommend measuring the diameter of your rod butt. (that didnt sound right)
Old 01-15-07, 05:14 PM   #43
dodgeguy

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
Old 01-15-07, 05:15 PM   #44
skeeter944

ok,thanks!
Old 01-15-07, 09:02 PM   #45
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_lunker_hunter View Post
almost any where. I got mine at Wal-Mart ('course I'm from Arkansas, we get everything at wal-mart!). (that didnt sound right)
Sounded EXACTLY RIGHT to me rotflmao.

Lizards
Old 01-19-07, 02:43 AM   #46
Jolly

MLH, I love the Falcon rods... I have a few of em, they just aren't as light and sensitive as others out there. I have one I use for drop shotting and carolina rigging. It is fantastic! Also gota cranking stick and is the best I have fished with. Thanks for all the help guys... still got a little time before I make a decision on the new rod, but I'll let you know.

Thanks Again,

Jolly
Old 01-19-07, 10:56 AM   #47
skeeter944

which series rods jolly? the cara's,the lowrider's or the original's?
Old 01-19-07, 08:42 PM   #48
Jolly

The originals is what I have and I love em'.

Jolly
Old 01-19-07, 10:37 PM   #49
skeeter944

i have a lowrider and i love it!
Old 01-21-07, 06:07 PM   #50
1FASTLASER

Maybe I just havent picked up the right flippin rod yet but it always seems that they are tip heavy and that is uncomfortable to me. Then you take the already supposed to be light stick and add a oz or 2 to the handle to offset the tip being heavy. Maybe that clears up what I am trying to say. It just dont seem right to me. Guess I am gonna have to find one of those Pruitt sticks.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.