Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-28-08, 01:42 PM   #1
Earl Marshall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default New to Bait casters

I am knew to using bait casters don't know much about them. I have a few cheaper ones but would like to have something a little better, That I can afford. I live on a fixed income so can not afford alot what do you all think would be a descent reel for the price. I was told a 5 bearing or more is the better ones. Thanks in advance Earl
Earl Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 01:52 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well for the price, Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels are very hard to beat, I have four of them . The combo is only $130 and BPS puts the reel on sale for $60 quite a bit. Good luck!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 02:06 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
Well for the price, Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels are very hard to beat, I have four of them . The combo is only $130 and BPS puts the reel on sale for $60 quite a bit. Good luck!

i have no experience with the extreme rods but i agree with skeeter on the reel. as far as inexpensive reels go this is probably the best one out there. pinnacle reels are fairly cheap and cast pretty well, but i have never seen one stand up to the test of time. it's almost like they are a disposable reel, one season is the longest i have seen one last.
Old 10-28-08, 02:06 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

welcome to the site by the way.
Old 10-28-08, 02:56 PM   #5
Raul

Welcome to the forum Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Marshall View Post
. I was told a 5 bearing or more is the better ones.
Now, on that subject, the premise is as false as a 3 dollars bill, one good bearing in the right place is 10 times better than 10 lousy bearings all over the reel

Speaking of which, tackle manufacturers exploit such nonsense premise of having a lot of bearings as a scam to sell you under quality gear making you believe you are getting a lot for your money. Old farts like me have a bunch of extremely good reels with only 1 good spool supporting bearing that cast longer, easier and last a whole lot more than reels with 10 El Cheapo brand bearings, so forget about that lots of bearings = better specially with mid and lower end reels.

I don´t know about the newer BPS Extreme reels but I do know for shure that the previous models were very good, affordable, reliable and long lasting reels ( like any good reel should be ), ask my man Rebbaser, he used those oldies almost exclusively and I trust his opinion. I hope that the newer ones are like the old ones.

Another thing you can do is e-bay for some discontinued models that are very good, the old Shimano Citica B ( 1 bearing ) is one of those if you find one, I saw at Simmons Sporting Goods´ site the now discontinued Daiwa Procaster 6 +1 ( 6 bearings ) at a very good price ( 50 bones ), that´s I reel recommend you highly.

It´s a matter of shopping around and asking.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 03:39 PM   #6
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
I am knew to using bait casters don't know much about them. I have a few cheaper ones but would like to have something a little better, That I can afford. I live on a fixed income so can not afford alot what do you all think would be a descent reel for the price. I was told a 5 bearing or more is the better ones. Thanks in advance Earl
Act fast, their quanitiy is limited. http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...1/product.html
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 03:48 PM   #7
JB

I just picked one up last weekend an love it, heres the best part...I was at walmart looking for some manns lures and just happened to glance up at the
reel case behind the counter, and saw this same baitcaster from quantum marked 42 bucks down to 17! holy crap! I have never bought any reels from anywhere but BPS but just had to take a chance and get this one, and really love it. Its just as smooth as my other 5 quantums that I paid about a hundred bucks each for.. I wish they had more of them in stock
I 've been out twice and it cast a mile and I've caught several dinks on it and so far no backlash.
I did pick up one of my older baitcasters sunday and had a backlash, tried Kevins trick about putting the thumb down and crankinkg and wa la...it worked!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 04:27 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i have no experience with the extreme rods but i agree with skeeter on the reel. as far as inexpensive reels go this is probably the best one out there. pinnacle reels are fairly cheap and cast pretty well, but i have never seen one stand up to the test of time. it's almost like they are a disposable reel, one season is the longest i have seen one last.
i love the 3 extremes i have they are as tough as you can get with out spending a fortune.i have 2 pinnacle reels. they are a great lil finesse reel light line, light baits, and you can get some long cast with them...however in my big ole paws they tend to cramp my hands up..my girlfriend loves these reels..

zooker
Old 10-29-08, 05:19 PM   #9
Earl Marshall

Thanks everyone I went to wally world today and look at some. Still haven't bought one yet waiting on maybe to sell a few of my spiner reals.
Old 10-29-08, 05:29 PM   #10
UKbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Eral I have one of the bass pro extreme reels if you might be interested it has been used once. Let me know if you are interested
UKbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 10:05 PM   #11
Jim80

Earl I've got a couple of the pinnacle reels myself and can't complain about them

Jim
Old 10-30-08, 08:32 PM   #12
danielbasspro

i have used the quantum energy and kevin vandam signature series reels and they are just great. i matched them with medium heavy shimano clarus rods great combos
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 10:24 AM   #13
woody

I picked up a Diawa Capricorn BC at Dicks, on sale for $50

I'm very pleased with its performance and feel.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 12:04 AM   #14
Earl Marshall

Well my wife is going to let me pick a reel out tomorrow for our anniversary it is our 14 th anniversary. Boy won't sleep a wink tonight LOL
Old 11-01-08, 09:01 PM   #15
Earl Marshall

Well got me a new ABU Silver Max today can't wait to use it.
Old 11-01-08, 10:31 PM   #16
skeeter944

Sweet man!!! I have fished one of those a few times, they are pretty sweet! Good luck!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:11 PM   #17
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Go Old School ;)

Rods and Reels should simple to use... Go Old School!

I use a 4600C3 baitcasting reel & 5' 6" Conolon medium action IM7 graphite rod & a both by ABU Garcia. The reel is Swiss Made & under $100!

The reel is simple to use with just one little knob play with; without take it apart or guess the reel loto number. Losers receives a Texas size birds nest.
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:30 PM   #18
bamabassman

earl..i too have the silvermax. LOVE IT!! also have 2 promaxes, and a pinnacle finnese. love them as well. personally, i like the lighting rods and the cherrywood. you can get both at wally world. i also have 1 abu tourney grade rod. very nice too. check them out next time you're at wally world (if yours carry them). some wally worlds don't carry as much as the one here.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:32 PM   #19
bamabassman

also earl... BPS has their extreme rods on sale right now. normally $100.00 now is only $69.99. i held one, wished i had the money to buy it. ifn you can, GET IT BUDDY!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 11:37 PM   #20
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

Abu Garcia Blackmax and Silvermax reels are not bad for the price. I have a silvermax and it is a six bearing reel that does well for only costing 62 bucks.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 08:41 AM   #21
Earl Marshall

Thanks eveyone I had a couple of rods (one singnature rod) then I bought the abu rod from wal-mart I ended up buying two reels from ebay I got a browning 6 bb and a abu 6 bb love them both. The inlaws is getting me another baitcaster for christmas. They let me pick it out LOL.
Old 11-17-08, 09:19 AM   #22
CarpMan

If you guys a looking for a good economy rod, check out these all-stars at Simmons, $40.00/ rod. IMO, Yea can’t beat it for the price.
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE WR1 6'6" ROD MEDIUM/HEAVY 10-20 LBS. LURE WT. 1/4-3/4 OZ
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE SRM 6' ACTION MEDIUM 10-20-LBS. LURE WT. 1/4-5/8OZ. SPINNING ROD
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE GT2 6'6" ROD MEDIUM 10-20 LBS. LURE WT. 1/4-11/2OZ.
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE SERIES CRC 7' BAITCAST ROD
SHIPPING IN THE USA IS ON UPS GROUND AND CAN SHIP AS MANY AS 25 RODS FOR THE SAME SHIPPING COST OF $18.00
Old 11-17-08, 12:15 PM   #23
Earl Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpMan View Post
If you guys a looking for a good economy rod, check out these all-stars at Simmons, $40.00/ rod. IMO, Yea can’t beat it for the price.
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE WR1 6'6" ROD MEDIUM/HEAVY 10-20 LBS. LURE WT. 1/4-3/4 OZ
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE SRM 6' ACTION MEDIUM 10-20-LBS. LURE WT. 1/4-5/8OZ. SPINNING ROD
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE GT2 6'6" ROD MEDIUM 10-20 LBS. LURE WT. 1/4-11/2OZ.
ALLSTAR CLASSIC GRAPHITE SERIES CRC 7' BAITCAST ROD
SHIPPING IN THE USA IS ON UPS GROUND AND CAN SHIP AS MANY AS 25 RODS FOR THE SAME SHIPPING COST OF $18.00
Carpman what is the web site I might be interested in one of those rods.
Thanks Earl
Old 11-17-08, 02:37 PM   #24
CarpMan

Quote:
Carpman what is the web site I might be interested in one of those rods.
Thanks Earl
Here yea go Earl. http://www.simmonssportinggoods.net/servlet/StoreFront
Old 11-17-08, 06:59 PM   #25
Earl Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpMan View Post
Thank you very much

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.