Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-21-10, 08:27 PM   #1
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fenwick rods

I got a qiuck question for you guys. I got 2 fenwick hmx rods 6.6 med. This feels real limp to me, is this normal for these rods? I have a quantum energy pt 7.1 (santa was good to me this year..have no idea why) what shoud I use this for? I just got into bass fishing last May, I bought a lot of stuff (reels,rods,boat) so I will prob be asking a lot of questions. Anyone here from Flint Mi. area?
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 09:55 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Well I guess you just answered my question from another thread. Flint eh? They make some mean Parmesan/Garlic Wings at the Hooters in Flint.
I've never used or even handled an HMX. But it is surprising to me that the rod feels limp. Fenwick tends to under rate the power of their rods. I have a couple Medium/Heavy HMGs and they feel a lot closer to Heavy, to me.
Old 01-21-10, 10:01 PM   #3
muddy

If this is the HMX before this year, I can answer this, in a way. I used 7 ft HMX's
You may have a Med Fast Action with a med power rod. They made them and were supposed to be better with cranks. The tip feel is a LOT SOFTER than the Med Power/Fast Action rod. I have not used the new upgrades but have used HMX's for a long while. There is a way of knowing this by the model numbers on the rod, but I sold all mine and cant help you with that.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:32 PM   #4
nova385

Both rods read HMXT 66m. The are last years rods.
So these should be good for a crank rod?
I should loose the 7:1 reel in favor of a slower one?
I have a daiwa Tierra I belive it is 6:4. or 6:3 can put on there.
What line would you use if you were to set this up for a crank bait rod? I see the cart in the sticky states floro.
I gess I never paid much attention to how fast the retrieve is on the reels when I bought them. Now I have 4 quantums in 7:1 ratio that I do not know what to do with.
Edit 5 7:1 reels there is also an exceler.

Last edited by nova385; 01-22-10 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-22-10, 02:43 PM   #5
muddy

Hey Slow down!!!!!!!!

If I remeber correctly 66m stand for 6'6" Med Power, not action.
They did come in 2 actions Fast and Med Fast, You need to know which rods you have

I do not know that , You should go to the Fenwick site and check #'s, they may only have the new model sequences. You need to find out if you have the Med Fast or Fast Tip. The common idea is slower tip for things with trebele hooks and faster tips for setting single hooked plastics and jigs. I dont buy into that all the way, many do.
Tierra is a fine reel, I would stay with it. I got to use one for a while I liked it, but I prefer Cenrtafugal Brakes and the Daiwas all have magnetic ( not important, just a prefrence)
I have not used anything over 6.3:1 for any period of time , so I cant answer any of those issues,
Old 01-22-10, 03:09 PM   #6
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova385 View Post
Both rods read HMXT 66m. The are last years rods.
So these should be good for a crank rod?
I should loose the 7:1 reel in favor of a slower one?
I have a daiwa Tierra I belive it is 6:4. or 6:3 can put on there.
What line would you use if you were to set this up for a crank bait rod? I see the cart in the sticky states floro.
I gess I never paid much attention to how fast the retrieve is on the reels when I bought them. Now I have 4 quantums in 7:1 ratio that I do not know what to do with.
Edit 5 7:1 reels there is also an exceler.
There is no reason to get rid of the reels because of their ratios.
My small swimbait setup is a St Croix crank rod with a 7:1 Quantum on it.

All but 2 of my reels are 7:1. You may tire out on your cranks, but they will still work. I prefer the higher ratio in almost every situation.
I prefer flouro on my cranks, but I know a lot of people who throw them on mono.
My small swimbait setup is a St Croix crank rod with a 7:1 Quantum on it.
Old 01-22-10, 08:56 PM   #7
nova385

Oh no will not get rid of any reels- just means I will have to buy a few more rods before spring.
I just wish it was as easy as buying guns. You leave with an empty gun case to go shoot and it comes back full!
Old 01-23-10, 12:03 AM   #8
bamabassman

<<<<<Knows what is happening......BAIT MONKEY IS EATING THE NEWBIE ALIVE. Hahahaha, welcome pal, and don't worry, the monkey is ok once you get the hang of it.
Old 01-23-10, 08:43 AM   #9
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
<<<<<Knows what is happening......BAIT MONKEY IS EATING THE NEWBIE ALIVE. Hahahaha, welcome pal, and don't worry, the monkey is ok once you get the hang of it.
Thats right on and very
Old 01-23-10, 09:31 AM   #10
Bassboss

What do you mean real limp? Do you mean like whipy? Because if it's stiff enough (at least M Fast action - it should say on the blank of the rod above the four grip), than with that reel it would make a pretty good worm and jig rod.

I'd put some or 17lb or 15lb (depends on how heavy of cover you're fishing) fluorocarbon on the reel.

~~~~~~~~~~~

If you plan on using it for canks a slower reel is MUCH better. I've used a 6.4: before and it sucks! Than I got a slower reel, and works much better! If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a new crankbait reel, than check out BPS reels, they have pretty good bang for the buck (Tip, don't get the BPS Pro qualifier for cranks, even if it is a slow reel, I think it has like 28" pre handle turn... to much for cranks!)

Last edited by Bassboss; 01-23-10 at 09:39 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 10:12 AM   #11
muddy

I would not use anything less than a fast action for worms and jig, too much rod bend will result in lower hookups
Old 01-23-10, 10:21 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

First off, with a quick Google search, I found that the rods (HMXT66M) are M power, Fast action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
I do not buy into the technique specific rods, having used several of them. I can tell you , those who do, check some articles out, all over the place most will recomend at least a fast tip( For worms and plastics) , many an extra fast( for jigs) and MF should cover them all.
Quick question muddy. Do you not buy into technique specific rods like the Fenwick Elite Techs for example, or do you not buy into having different rods for different techniques?

I'm assuming you meant the first one, but I just want to clarify.

I think technique specific rods are nice, but not always what I perfer for a certain technique. As we all know, there is no right and wrong rod to use for a certain presentation, but there are rods that work better than others. I wouldn't hesitate to buy technique specific rod if it's characteristics were what I was already looking for for a certain presentation. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy one and use it for something else. I have a 7' M Mojo spinning rod labeled as a tube/grub rod. I use it for shakey heads and wacky rigs.

As for having a different rod for each presentation, I definately agree this is a plus. While some people (like Rick Clunn) use the same length, power, and action rod for everything. I like to pick rods that will work the best for certain applications.

BB
Old 01-23-10, 10:22 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
I would not use anything less than a fast action for worms and jig, too much rod bend will result in lower hookups
lol, you changed this a bit. Anyways, I completely agree. I use a F or XF action for jigs and worms.

BB
Old 01-23-10, 10:32 AM   #14
muddy

Hey Big Bassin, Change3d it, because I am trying to be a better citizen here and avoid usless confrontations, when I see misinformation, I am trying to be easier, my bad!
Any way, a few years ago I went to ;
1. BPS Crankin Stick for Cranks
2.St Croix Premier for worm
3..St Croix Triumph for jigs
2 Fenwick s for Spining

only to find, Okay that was nice but I still tended to use the HMX MH/Fast more than the others. For me it just serves the purpose better to just have 4 MH/fast rods, I love the feel and any rod that can go from lets say 1/4 oucne abits to an ounce covers all I throw. I do not have a ton of money to spend on equipment, as I have a few people who depend on me , financially. I have been on a misson to find a way to enjoy this sport with the least amount of money delivering the most reliability and fun.

I cant tell you about any high end rods ( the Elites) , except for a Johnny Morris and 2 custom wraps i got as presents from rod building friends of mine. I do not EVER give opinions on stuff I HAVE NOT USED OR OWNED, as I can read other peoples ideas on my own

Last edited by muddy; 01-23-10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-23-10, 10:37 AM   #15
muddy

Hey BTW , Thanks for helping that kid out with the codes, I did not know the HMX's came in 2 different actions I presumed they were all fast action. I gave a friend my HMX, because he loved it so much, went to Cabelas to replace it , I picked up another 7 ft MH rod to come home and discover it had a different action than it's twin back home, until I read the Rod Stock Numnbers. I called Cableas and they explained the rod that was home was Fast Action and the rod I had just purchased was Med Fast action ; THEY FELT WAY DIFFERENT!!!!
Old 01-23-10, 09:31 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Hey Big Bassin, Change3d it, because I am trying to be a better citizen here and avoid usless confrontations, when I see misinformation, I am trying to be easier, my bad!
Any way, a few years ago I went to ;
1. BPS Crankin Stick for Cranks
2.St Croix Premier for worm
3..St Croix Triumph for jigs
2 Fenwick s for Spining

only to find, Okay that was nice but I still tended to use the HMX MH/Fast more than the others. For me it just serves the purpose better to just have 4 MH/fast rods, I love the feel and any rod that can go from lets say 1/4 oucne abits to an ounce covers all I throw. I do not have a ton of money to spend on equipment, as I have a few people who depend on me , financially. I have been on a misson to find a way to enjoy this sport with the least amount of money delivering the most reliability and fun.

I cant tell you about any high end rods ( the Elites) , except for a Johnny Morris and 2 custom wraps i got as presents from rod building friends of mine. I do not EVER give opinions on stuff I HAVE NOT USED OR OWNED, as I can read other peoples ideas on my own
Hey man, don't worry, no confrontation, just wanted to clarify which you meant.

BB
Old 01-24-10, 12:41 AM   #17
nova385

So I take it this should be a decent rod for worms/jigs, not so much crank baits.
Next question- Is the 7:1 real better for worm/jigs or should you use another ratio. I have other reels, but no experience with all these differant uses. Like I said I am new. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-10, 09:55 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Nova, most of the time when you've got a bait that isn't moved by the reel, like worms and jigs, either a 6:1 or 7:1 gear ratio is fine. which one you use is just personal preference. For jigs, I use a 7:1, and for worms I use a 6:1. I am thinking of eventually upgrading to a 7:1 for worms as well.

For me, the main advantage of a 7:1 is the ability to bring the bait back to the boat (or shore) faster after you're done working it (especially with jigs), which allows you to make your next cast faster. Another advantage is bringing in slack before a hookset faster.

But like I said, gear ratio isn't as important when it comes to baits that are moved by the angler moving the rod. Where I really worry about gear ration and retrieve speed is baits that are moved by the reel: cranks, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwater frogs, etc.

BB
Old 01-24-10, 10:21 AM   #19
bamabassman

Bb144 is correct in his statement in my opion. You'll do fine with the gears you have on yur reel i think.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.