Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-08-09, 12:36 PM   #1
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Gonna buy a Frog, What Color?

Ok....

So im on this frog kick right now since all of the lakes have grown in and im looking to order a couple frogs off cabelas.
Im getting two frogs, I've narrowed it down to these two.

First frog is a Spro BronzeEye, Probably in 5/8 in Green Tree
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	4186

The other is a River2Sea Bully Wa, Probably 7/16 in Mud Bird

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	4187

Im looking at the Spro being my big frog and the River2Sea my smaller one. Im wondering what you guys think about the colors. First off I wanted two different colors, and I've also looked at some threads about these two brands and how they seem to be two good brands, so I decided to get one of each and decide for myself.

So what do you guys think? Im looking for info on size and color. Im pretty set on one Spro and one River2sea.

Last edited by BoyoBoyle; 09-08-09 at 12:42 PM.
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 02:08 PM   #2
James
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to James

You pretty much need only two colors if you're going to keep it basic.

Cloudy day-Black Frog
Sunny day-White frog
results may vary, this works almost everywhere in my area (Midwest)

I don't recommend either one of those frogs, the r2s hooks puncture the side of the frog, and the spros aren't as soft as the Bobby's Perfect frog.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 03:30 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB, I fish Pymatuning a lot and use Horny toads, watermelon red, watermelon, watermelon candy. These are the best colors for me. I might add for the frogs you are looking at any green pattern should work. I throw them (hollow body) sometimes and green works most of the time. As far as the hollow body frogs I don't have a favorite. I use them all and if they are hitting the frogs it seems they have no preference. Take James advice if the hook puncture factor is a concern for you.
Old 09-08-09, 03:44 PM   #4
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

I only throw 1 color of frog, BLACK. I wouldn't spend the money on the River-2-Sea. I have a couple and they just don't function like a Spro. I would suggest getting a Spro Jr. and a regular Spro. And make sure one is black.
Old 09-08-09, 04:41 PM   #5
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

Well IMHO the fish only see the bottom if the frog is working right and only see it as a shadow especially if its in the scum they see the break in said scum fish what ever your bait monkey say looks cool.
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 05:58 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

IMO you should get the r2s. I've caught many more bass on them than the Spros. It was in the green color (for get what they called it).
Old 09-08-09, 06:24 PM   #7
3dkicker

I like the Spro Jr in Leopard frog since that's the only color that truly matches a frog. I have the Bully Wa 65 in green but the solid black with chart head 55 works better on the water that I fish.
Old 09-08-09, 06:44 PM   #8
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pinkbass

OK I have a question. The sales guy at the store the fish only see the bottom so I should only get ones that look different on the bottom. Is he right?
Old 09-08-09, 06:49 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

My 2 best frogs are a black Bobby's Perfect and a natural red Spro Bronzeye Jr.
Old 09-08-09, 07:04 PM   #10
keithdog

I have two frogs, a white Spro and a black Bobbys Perfect Frog. I have good catch rates with both. One of my pet peeves is that it's so darn hard to find a frog lure that really looks like a frog. Any lake I go to the frogs are mossy or dirty green on top and have a white belly. Why is it so hard for the manufacturers to copy this? I've never seen a yellow frog with orange spots and orange legs. Apparently the folks designing these baits havn't spent much time at the lake watching frogs. Match the hatch they say, but not so with frogs I guess. OK, thats out of my system now, lol.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 10:49 PM   #11
Bender

My partner and I were froggin fools over the summer. The Spro Jrs worked the best for us by far. I missed tons of fish on the full sized Spro, but the hookup ratio on the Jr is pretty good. Best color for us was nicknamed the "baby seal", because Shamo was always coming up to eat it. That color is called "Putty", and also the "Natural Red" was good.

Edit: and check youtube for modifications to the frog. Best tip for me so far has been adding a butt hole with a 3/16 drill so the water drains out.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 12:26 AM   #12
cassidyta

If you are only getting one then I would say that any color will work as long as it is black
Old 09-09-09, 09:17 AM   #13
rrw4258

BLACK, BLACK, BLACK...... I favor the Spro Bronzeye (not the jr.), also like the new Spro Poppin Frog, lots of fish on that one too.

Ryan
Old 09-09-09, 12:02 PM   #14
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

The frog can be used in wide open water, over submerged glass, or around other structure so color does matter. Keep it as natural as possible. You can always color a frog too. I have colored white ones black. When the color fades away it actually works better.
Old 09-09-09, 01:25 PM   #15
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Name:	s7_121062_885_01.jpeg
Views:	526
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	4189

Name:	s7_121062_889_01.jpeg
Views:	574
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	4190

Im thinking about these two.... it looks like a I want one black and one natural. I know I want either one to be a junior or both be a junior. Not quite sure yet.
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 01:42 PM   #16
cassidyta

I think that we get too caught up on how "natural" a frog looks. For me, a hollow bodied frog is meant to be thrown on top of the pads and muck or skipped into a shady spot. I do think that shades matter, but not shades of a particular color. I focus on either a dark or light colored belly more than anything. In the spring I might try to match the colors of my local birds rather than the frogs. Especially in areas where there are overhanging tress and the bass have gotten to feast on a bird falling from the tree.

My best producing frogs have been black and chocolate colored. I do own one bright colored frog that my daughter picked out.

can you guess which one?

Name:	frogs.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	4191
Old 09-10-09, 02:09 PM   #17
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default It's all black and white to me!!!

Ditto what James and cassidyta said: I really don't think any frog immitation makes a bass think "Frog!" Instead, I think that bass are conditioned to react to anything struggling through the weeds that is small enough to eat. I have done as well on the old-fashioned Mann's Rat as I have on any frog bait and that bait doesn't look like any type of critter at all!
Because of that I key on the visibility factor under different light conditions, which means either black or white.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 04:27 PM   #18
3dkicker

Pink and Keith - Leopard frog is your color/bait if you want one that truly matches a frog. It's got the green back and white belly with black spots.
Old 09-10-09, 04:58 PM   #19
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with waffle and its like watching a air plane fly over so when your shopping flip them over so many have the same belly
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 06:06 PM   #20
Kevin
Administrator

I fish frogs a lot and I wouldn't be caught without a yellow, black or white frog. Yellow or white for sunny or mildly overcast, and black for darker days. Ironically, I've noticed far less strikes on a green or brown frog. Go figure.

I think the most overlooked aspect of a frog's color is the skirt strands. That's actually the first bit I look at when selecting a frog color.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 11:31 PM   #21
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I believe in 4 color schemes. They all have their time and place. Bright natural (Spro Green Tree, Rainforest Yellow and Peacock), dull natural (Spro Natural Green and Red), dark profile (Black, Rainforest Black and Green/Black), light profile (Spro Albino and White/Black).

That said, I usually use the Green Tree the most, followed by Rainforest Black and White/Black.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.