Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-13-08, 11:13 AM   #1
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default flippin craws

i was watching a roland martin video the other day and he was using a yamamoto craw and a huge weight with 60 pound spiderwire flippin grass. can the fish see this line?? can they see braid?
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 01:44 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't think the line visibility makes any difference when flippin or pitchin in grass.The ability of the line to pull the fish out is more important.

I'll take 50-60 lb braid any time over a much smaller lb test braided line.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 01:45 PM   #3
Jim80

When flipping real heavy grass,mats, or pads like that you usually only leave the bait in the targeted area for a short amount of time and then you flip it to another target . You need the heavy line to be able to rip the fish out mess as quickly as possible also having a higher gear ratio on your reel helps as well .

Jim
Old 12-13-08, 09:07 PM   #4
3dkicker

Think about it this way....the grass stalks are green...the braided line is green....both make contact with the bottom and go up....bass have the brain the size of a pea. They can learn but can they make the relationship between the braided line and being caught? Or do they relate the lure to being caught? Or both? All I know is that I catch plenty of the ones who ain't got a clue.
Old 12-18-08, 10:11 AM   #5
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yes, fish can see line, they can also see hooks, weights, etc. The real issue is whether or not they actually know what it it or isn't, and if it creates a danger issue or not.

In weeds, I and many of the better reservoir fisherman use straight braid. I use Moss Green, they use white or even gold. And they catch and boat plenty of Bass.

I use a mono leader with most of my braid setups because of abrasive factors, not to hid the braid from the Bass. You also have to remember that the NYC reservoir waters vary from stained to clear, but not gin clear.

As for line wt. I use 50-65 lb braid only in really heavy weeds. The rest of my pithcing( I really don't flip) is with 30 lb braid.
Old 12-18-08, 05:03 PM   #6
Tall
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If it is the show I think it is, he was on Lake Obechobee (how ever you spell it) and it was so thick he had to have a real heavy weight to get it down, but was those not some nice bass he winched out of there. It looked like you could almost walk on the thick stuff but he was able to find some holes to get it to go down and what some nice bass.

I can see why he said he was going to show how to fish there so that you may win a tourny there.

I saved that on my DVR to watch again some day. He made it look easy, but I don't find it that way, but I don't know where grass is like that where I usually fish. Maybe it will work in lilly pads like grass. I am going to try it this year.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.