Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-09, 12:47 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default not sure...

The weather for us New Englanders has been down right pitiful, we have had over 14" of rain since June 1st! The fishing has been even worse, I'm not sure what's going on, I'm so freakin confused never seen anything like it. I went out all weekend on a lake that I have fished many times before, it was one of the first few days of sun and no rain. I fished deep, fished shallow, fished deep grass, deep rocks, points and flooded backwater...my 12 hours of fishing only produced 4 fish.

The water temp was 69 in the AM and 70.5 later that afternoon, water color was "mud puddle brown" clarity was 1-2ft.

We have had so much rain that the water temps are struggling to move upward, usually its mid-high 70's by now..easy!

The tourneys I've been in around Maine have been low weights, the last one we fished, where usually 30lbs (8 fish) puts you in the money the winning weight was 26 and I had the 2nd largest fish @ 5.35lbs.

I'm just not sure what's going on with the bite, a lot of the guides are saying the same thing. The fishin is way down and the scary part that concerns me most is what about the spawn, I'm yet to see any fry and during the time of the spawn I only found a few fish on their beds. Is it possible that they have skipped the spawn? I have read articles about other species of fish skipping their reproductive cycle, is this possible?
Old 07-20-09, 01:17 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Jason,

What probably happened, is that the bass simply spawned in deeper water. A lot of people think the spawn ends at a certain time or temperature each year. However, it actually continues, just with the bass spawning in deeper water, where nobody sees them. I caught a bass in 20' of water this year at the start of July (way too late for the spawn, right? or so you would think) full of eggs and with a bloody tail from fanning a nest.

I had a theory that bass will spawn in the deepest (i.e, safest) water they can find that is above a certain temperature (about 63 deg.F). However, I am also interested to find out if there is a maximum temperature too, not just a minimum. So if you had the lake warm up really fast, the bass might not get a chance to spawn in the shallows, and would spawn farther from the shore, if they could find a good spot. Anyways, don't worry too much about it. I'd be willing to bet the fry are there.
Old 07-20-09, 03:24 PM   #3
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
The weather for us New Englanders has been down right pitiful, we have had over 14" of rain since June 1st! The fishing has been even worse, I'm not sure what's going on, I'm so freakin confused never seen anything like it. I went out all weekend on a lake that I have fished many times before, it was one of the first few days of sun and no rain. I fished deep, fished shallow, fished deep grass, deep rocks, points and flooded backwater...my 12 hours of fishing only produced 4 fish.

The water temp was 69 in the AM and 70.5 later that afternoon, water color was "mud puddle brown" clarity was 1-2ft.

We have had so much rain that the water temps are struggling to move upward, usually its mid-high 70's by now..easy!

The tourneys I've been in around Maine have been low weights, the last one we fished, where usually 30lbs (8 fish) puts you in the money the winning weight was 26 and I had the 2nd largest fish @ 5.35lbs.

I'm just not sure what's going on with the bite, a lot of the guides are saying the same thing. The fishin is way down and the scary part that concerns me most is what about the spawn, I'm yet to see any fry and during the time of the spawn I only found a few fish on their beds. Is it possible that they have skipped the spawn? I have read articles about other species of fish skipping their reproductive cycle, is this possible?
There is nice fish up north, some people think the fish dont get big up there.
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 03:35 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
There is nice fish up north, some people think the fish dont get big up there.
Yes...they can get big up North. Not as big as if they were in the South, but big. The thing is, they don't get big as fast, so when people catch most of the 8 lb'ers out of a lake, they don't get replaced very soon. That's where catching and releasing 5 lb'ers comes in.
Old 07-20-09, 03:48 PM   #5
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Yes...they can get big up North. Not as big as if they were in the South, but big. The thing is, they don't get big as fast, so when people catch most of the 8 lb'ers out of a lake, they don't get replaced very soon. That's where catching and releasing 5 lb'ers comes in.

Yeah I dont keep any bass anyways,smallies that are 3lbs I heard are like 15 years old
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 04:11 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I don't keep anything over 3lbs, but if I catch an 8lb'er (I hope) I will mount it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.