Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-21-09, 01:26 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I'm ready to try a different fluorocarbon. Help.

I've been using Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon line for pitching a jig and plastics. 20 lb line almost always. Although the line is very strong, holds good knots and is abrasion resistant, I keep getting those little loops in my spool while pitching. Not full blown back lashes, mind you, but the beginning of a backlash that causes me to have to turn around and make a long cast to remove. Annoying and time consuming. I've tried KVD and Reel Magic line conditioner to no avail.

Recommend to me a 20 lb Fluorocarbon line that you think would be more supple than the Berkley line and that wouldn't almost backlash as much when pitching a jig. Thanks.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 01:30 PM   #2
swimbaitkid

dont fill the spool completely up,you wont backlash hardly at all, and i use the same line,and never have that problem
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 01:31 PM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0019605316480a.shtml I use a lot of this stuff and have had really good luck with it
Old 07-21-09, 02:25 PM   #4
sac

P-Line is great! I have it on a few of my reels.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 02:26 PM   #5
basstech

I've been using the Seguar Invis X line, I haven't found one that has a smaller diameter, you might try it. I've been very happy with it so far. Line is a very subjective thing though. Haven't met an angler who doesn't swear by what they use regardless of what line it is. It just depends on what the individual is looking for out of their line.
Old 07-21-09, 02:30 PM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

Up till now, all I've been using and recommending is Bass Pro Shop's XPS Fluorocarbon... but I've recently been using Seaguar's AbrazX and InvisX and really like them.

Seaguar makes some of the best and Seaguar is the company that manufactures Bass Pro Shops XPS lines, so no coincidence that I like them!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 02:38 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I tried BPS stuff... I hate it! I tried tripple fish in 15lb, it worked better, but it's not 20lb, I would try it though. I've heard good stuff about Seaguar though!
Old 07-21-09, 04:35 PM   #8
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That would probably be the result of line being laid back onto the spool rather loosely combined with fluorocarbon's tendency to want to spring off and lighter weights. It is more likely to happen with say a 3/16 oz jig vs. a 1/2 oz jig.

Invizx is the limpest fluorocarbon I have tried to date.

Just try to make the effort of ensuring the line lays back onto the spool with some tension and as already mentioned, don't overfill the spool. The latter can help in reducing the line sprining off. You should see that on a spinning reel!
Old 07-21-09, 04:57 PM   #9
bigjim

any benefit to 100% fluro. over the ones that are just Fluro coated? other than the $10 price difference?
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 05:55 PM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
any benefit to 100% fluro. over the ones that are just Fluro coated? other than the $10 price difference?
I prefer fc over the copolymers (blends). The thing I have noticed is that the combination of the two seems to have a great deal of memory. Take any Pline product that is a blend... CX, CXX, Fluroclear... They have memory up the ying yang. This is NOT good or bad to me, but it is what it is. If an angler doesn't like memory, they won't like those Pline products. Personally I couldn't give a rip about memory. If the line serves me well (CXX against chum salmon) memory is a small price to pay.

As for preferring fc over the blends, call me a purist wanna be.

BTW, I do happen to like Yozuri Hybrid.
Old 07-21-09, 06:14 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

like kevin said seaguar abrazx is awesome. invizx is really good and i used it for a long time but although it is abrasion resistant i still had trouble with it getting roughed up from dragging jigs so i went to abrazx and don't have any problems at all now. it's the best flourocarbon i have ever used.
Old 07-21-09, 09:47 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While any line is gonna do this a bit while pitching, I've heard Trilene 100% described as steel cable, lol. Try Seaguar InvisX or AbrasX.

BB
Old 07-21-09, 10:18 PM   #13
paducahbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

I can guarantee you one that you will like because I was in the exact same situation as you and was using Berkley Trilene.

I am now and will forever be using the 100% castable fluorocarbon line. The only place I have found it is at Gander Mountain or online. I bought my 20# from Texas Bass tackle online.

Great stuff, strong, hardly any memory. 100x better than Berkley Trilene.
paducahbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 10:18 PM   #14
paducahbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Oops, forgot to mention the brand, SUFIX!!!!!!!
paducahbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 12:37 AM   #15
Bender

I guess I'm on the InvizX bandwagon too. I also really like P-Line's Halo, but it is now ~$22 per spool and that is close to Sunline Sniper territory. I haven't tried Sunline yet, but would really like to get some 7# for Saint Clair or Erie since I broke 6# InvizX last time I was out there being a little too aggressive with a big smallie.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 11:05 AM   #16
Jigger

Thumbs up

thanks to everyone who responded. good advice all around.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.