Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-13-12, 12:21 PM   #1
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default zero line guide??

hey guys. just recently saw a video of a USreel baitcaster that uses no line guides. they call it an "Able guide" & is supposed to eliminate the friction point of a fishing line going through a typical line guide, hence a much smoother & longer cast. the only other baitcaster i know of that emphisizes less friction in their line guides is a daiwa T3. wonder if you can interchange that Able guide onto other reels with a typical line guide. curious if anyone has first hand experience with either reels & if the line guides, or lack there of, made a huge difference in casting and feel?

here's 1 of the vids i saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYDVKnsTRk

Last edited by boloson; 01-13-12 at 12:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add video
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-12, 03:10 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Exclamation More Info

A little more info that the reel folks may like.
Explains the whole reel's adjustments and concept.
I found the the reel rotation on the reels to be even more intriguing.
It all makes sense to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvBmm...eature=related
Old 01-13-12, 03:49 PM   #3
DVT Mike

I handled one at an event but haven't fished it. Honestly, I'm not sold. Modern low profile reels have a disengaging levelwind and relatively narrow spools. Even if the guide stops at one end of the worm gear and the line spools off the other side, the angle is not so great as to cause significant friction and what there is only exists at that point as the angle changes as line comes off. Casting distance is way over rated imo and should take a back seat to accuracy.
Old 01-13-12, 04:34 PM   #4
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
I handled one at an event but haven't fished it. Honestly, I'm not sold. Modern low profile reels have a disengaging levelwind and relatively narrow spools. Even if the guide stops at one end of the worm gear and the line spools off the other side, the angle is not so great as to cause significant friction and what there is only exists at that point as the angle changes as line comes off. Casting distance is way over rated imo and should take a back seat to accuracy.
yes it's true that the angle in the line would not be a significant amount of friction but it is friction nonetheless. casting distance is over rated but if you mainly shore fish like me, then every feet counts when trying to access those far hard to reach areas. this frictionless idea is supposed to not only increase casting distance but also smoother output of line with less interference, therefore making casting more accurate. accuracy imho is more practice then anything but if a smoother line output helps then i'm all for it. any thoughts on the daiwa T3 reel & its T-wing line guide?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 01:20 PM   #5
DVT Mike

I don't see any glaring quality issues with either of these reels I'm just not convinced yet of the advantage in real life fishing situations. There's nothing wrong with keeping an open mind, but at the same time, personally I'd rather experiment with things that have at least some known element such as line weights and materials, tuning, setup...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.