Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-22-12, 06:20 PM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What frog ?

I 'm lost for info on the new frogs.I just picked up a Booyah pad crasher in bullfrog color. to try in the slop,normally I use the Horny toads swimming them in open water.I don't know why it works but it does.Whats your favorite heavy slop frog ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-12, 06:34 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Honestly, I have several and they all seem to perform equally. Some take on more water than others, but I catch fish on all of them. I received a River2Sea frog in a gift exchange here and it works very well.

Last edited by keithdog; 11-23-12 at 11:47 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-12, 07:25 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River...html#multiview

This is a good one.
Old 11-22-12, 07:54 PM   #4
Jrob78

The Horny Toads and Rage Toads are great toad baits that I've caught a lot of fish on. For hollow body frogs, I've used and own most brands. I like the R2S Bully Wa frog, the Spro Bronzeye frog, the SK KVD frog, and the Koppers Live Target Frog. I bought a Jackal Iobee Frog a month or so ago that comes very highly recommended for it's walking ability and for being pre-tuned, I haven't fished it yet though. The Snag Proof Ish's Phat Frog is another that comes highly recommended. It is designed not to fill up with water like the rest of the frogs on the market. I've heard good things about the Booyah frog too but I don't have one of those. Honestly, there doesn't seem to be much difference in a lot of the big name frogs on the market.

Throw hollow body frogs with braid on a stout casting rod. Braid is critical with these frogs for 2 reasons, IMO. The first is the cover they are normally fished in, you have to be able to horse the fish out quickly or they will get buried up in it. The 2nd is so you can get a good positive hook set on a long cast. Frogs have big double hooks that won't penetrate easily without a firm rod and braid that won't stretch. Frogs also cast a long distance and a stretchy line just won't get it done. Also, resist setting the hook until you feel the weight of the fish, you'll jerk it away otherwise.
Old 11-22-12, 07:57 PM   #5
lilmule

Bull frog the trick is to train so he holds the hook just right,second trick is get him to volunteer for hazardous duty.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-12, 10:18 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Spro Bronzeye Poppin' Frog for me -- Black Widow is my favorite color, followed closely by Leopard.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 02:24 AM   #7
Tavery5

I had a box full of frogs, 10-12 different types. I now own 1 type of frog, and it works great for my fishing. Jackall Iobee.
Old 11-23-12, 10:02 AM   #8
doc

Koppers live target frogs are by far the softest on the market now, and suprisingly tough for being so soft. The only downside is they dont skip very well because of this, but the hookup ratio is soo much better with these frogs because of the soft plastic it's worth it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 01:23 PM   #9
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Spro Bronzeye Poppin' Frog for me -- Black Widow is my favorite color, followed closely by Leopard.

X 2 on brand, style and color....
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 03:03 PM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Koppers live target frogs are by far the softest on the market now, and suprisingly tough for being so soft. The only downside is they dont skip very well because of this, but the hookup ratio is soo much better with these frogs because of the soft plastic it's worth it.
Doc, take a look at the pad crasher, I think you will be suprised. Much cheaper and just as soft.
Old 11-23-12, 04:21 PM   #11
bassinbob

For hollow body the Spro Bronzeye Poppin Frog works best for me. Black widow is the color also. I bought a Pad Crasher but didn't use it this year. I just ordered the Jackall
Iobee from Tackle Warehouse. Can't wait to try it next year. For toad types the Horny Toad hands down for me.
Old 11-23-12, 06:52 PM   #12
pig n jig

Thanks for the replies.I was using a trophy series scum frog but it snags up coming over pads.It is flat bottomed.I inserted some venom tube rattles in the new pad crasher frog , will give it a go next summer.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.