Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-26-09, 11:42 AM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Casting reel line yardage question

I just got my first casting rod/reel. I put 14# braid on it, but all of the braid on the shelf was 125 yards and this reel will take much, much more than that. I'm thinking of pulling the braid back off and backing it some with mono to get the braid further out on the reel.
Anybody do this or should I just leave it alone with just the 125y on the reel?
Old 10-26-09, 12:28 PM   #2
WaffleJaw

I back all my BC reels with cheap Mono...I saw at Walmart (forget the brand) but it was 700 yards of Mono for under $5...I think 8lb..Since we arent casting 140 yards,why spool and waste all the line?
I heard backing the reel with Mono before spooling braid will decrease digging in tremendously....But I dont use braid for bass fishing.
Old 10-26-09, 01:12 PM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have never fished with braid. I do know baitcasters work best if the spool is near full.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 09:47 AM   #4
Abbeysdad

Okay, I unspooled the braid, put a 15# monofilament backer on the reel, then put the braid back on (Albright knot) followed by a fluorocarbon leader. I could see that the level wind on the braid is much better now. I haven't casted yet to see if the additional line on the spool makes a difference.
Old 10-27-09, 01:21 PM   #5
woody

You should be able to increase your casting distance with your now fully spooled baitcaster.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 01:27 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
You should be able to increase your casting distance with your now fully spooled baitcaster.

-Mark
Yep, and retrieve speed (not gear ratio, but inches per handle turn.)

BB
Old 10-27-09, 02:27 PM   #7
nofearengineer

The last couple of comments really piqued my curiosity. It's a given that gear ratio has no defined effect on leverage, which is what we really need to know, without knowing the handle throw distance. Gear ratio also has no direct relationship to retrieve speed, unless we know the spool diameter, which is a somewhat variable number; i.e. it is higher as we finish the retrieve than when we start.

I was wondering if any reel company has actually put out oversized reel handles. A baitcaster with a 7.1:1 ratio and a 3.5" grip-to-grip distance on the handle could easily be re-fitted with a replacement handle with a 4.6" grip-to-grip handle, giving it an effective gear ratio of 5.4:1. Assuming the internal gearing would withstand the additional torque (a pretty safe assumption, I think) it seems like a much less expensive option for us. This would have the added benefit of not affecting the retrieve speed. You'd get more cranking leverage without changing the inches per revolution.

A complete reel makeover from a high-speed ratio to a winch, with just a simple handle switch.
Old 10-27-09, 04:18 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Very true no fear. There are only a couple USDM reels I know of that has a longer handle: the Skeet Reese Revo and the Revo Winch. I believe they both have 105mm handles. That in conjunction with the SR Revo's 24" of line per handle turn (about 4" less than a standard 6:1 gear ratio) makes it a great shallow cranking reel.

I know we're kind of getting off subject, but I find the longer handles to be much more comfortable, especially when cranking.

BB
Old 10-27-09, 05:31 PM   #9
bassboogieman

A wrap of electricain's tape between the mono and braid will keep the braid from digging in to the backing line, and any backlash you may get won't go deep into the spool.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 08:51 AM   #10
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
A wrap of electricain's tape between the mono and braid will keep the braid from digging in to the backing line, and any backlash you may get won't go deep into the spool.
Well, too late - I just tied the 15# mono and the 14# braid with an albright knot. The braid seemed to wrap just fine on top of the mono. I think a bigger problem is tighter, outer braid digging into looser braid down under.
Old 10-28-09, 08:56 AM   #11
BigBassin144

When I put mono backing on my reels, I reel it on very tight. Also, you need to apply quite a bit of pressure to the braid as well.

BB
Old 11-28-09, 12:03 PM   #12
Sheereeinjunk
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sheereeinjunk
Default Casting reel line yardage question

it shouldnt matter. your line is going to do the same thing regardless if you have a spinning or a casting reel
Sheereeinjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 01:34 PM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I back mine with cheap mono too. I also split my Sufix 150 yd spools. Times are tough LOL. I know I am not going to be throwing over 40 yards anyways.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.