Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-11, 07:39 AM   #1
Fish-N-Fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Exclamation The Improved Boob Tube Rig

From your inventor of the Fish-N-Fool knot comes; "The Boob Tube rig".
Note; I posted this last year, but I have made a few improvements to it since then I want to share.

Here is a new way to fish a tube that I came up with that has turned into a killer technique, See below for the required parts. I want to point out that I don't make or sell any of the parts for this rig so you will have to find them yourself. So use any make of tube you like. You cut a piece of old worm about a 1/2' long to make a plug you put into the back of the tube to form a air pocket inside the tube. For a loud rattle you can drop a glass rattle into the tube before gluing the plug in place. I have found for colder water the tube will collapse from the air shrinking, so I use an old earplug, just roll it up tight and slide it into the head of the bait. it will expand to make a tight fit. Then I use clear silicone seal it up or one of the worm glues, so the bait stays soft but air tight. A plug off a non-Salt would work best for this, like off a grub or something. It is stronger plastic to hold the hook better and it is lighter so it floats. I set up a standard Carolina rig and hook my boob tube with my gammy finesse hook into the part I put the plug into like in the 5th pixs, I go in the center of the plug that I put in and out the side of the tube making sure the hook does not go into the air chamber. This makes the tube float straight up giving it the best action. I like about 15" of line between the hook and the swivel. This makes the bait float up above the bottom of the lake. If you give the bait a little slack it pulls line through the weight and floats up, tightening up on it pulls the bait down and makes the beads clack on the weight and the skirt on the bait flares out give bass something they have never seen before. You can work this rig up and down clacking it and making the bait skirt flare, as you inch it across the bottom. Killer for SM on the Flats and for weeded up lakes it works great with a little longer line from the hook to the weight. I use a large bead next to the swivel so it slides over the knot and does not rest on it, so it can't damage your knot. Then a smaller bead for more clack. I make up the baits ahead of time so when you need a new one it only takes a sec to rig up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what you will need to make the Boob tube rig, first a tube you like, a scrap worm to make the plug out of, a casting weight with an eye on one end, a hook (gammy red finesse 1/0), 2 beads one large and a smaller, and a barrel swivel.

Cut your plug about 1/2" long

If you want put in a glass rattle and then glue the plug in place.

With the plug in place it will look like this.

The hook goes in from the center of the plug bottom and out the side of the tube.

That way when you fish it it will look like this.

So this is how the rig works if you let line out, the tube will pull line through the weight and float up. I heavier weight works best for this like a 1 oz so the bait moves and not the weight when you pop it. Pull on the line and the tube will go back down and the skirt will flare out each time you pull. It looks a lot like a crawdad sinking in the water. When the swivel hits the beads against the weight it makes a loud clack. Plus you can pop the bait while it is floating up to make the rattle in the tube clack. The Smallies seem to love this rig over here. I think I'll call it the "Fish-N-Fool Boob Tube rig" :dance:

You need to be a line watcher with this rig as when a fish takes it the line will slip through the weight. So the fish will not feel the weight at all and you will just see the line going out, when that happens SET THE HOOOOK!!!! LOL
So, hope you like my Boob tube rig.
Old 12-20-11, 07:52 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dang, that looks very interresting. I'll have to add that to my list of things to try out this spring.
Old 12-20-11, 07:57 AM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fish-N-Fool, welcome back to the site, Great post. I have a feeling I just may learn a thing or two from you. I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks, looks very interesting. Will definitely try!
Old 12-20-11, 10:14 AM   #4
badbrady06
BassFishin.Com Member

That looks very interesting ..
badbrady06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 12:42 PM   #5
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A Yamamoto Ika works the same way. Maybe a little less buoyant though.
Old 12-20-11, 01:56 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Here's a lil sumpn I like that's the same only different. Pic is a little styro float cut in 1/2..closed cell foam works real good too. I just use it on a c-rig but I promise that if you give it some slack it will do the "yo-yo" thing. It also does amazing things as a jig trailer. Rattle=optional. A colored sharpie will give lots of color choices. Zoom Craw-pappy has a hollow head! Can be rigged with either hook shown or anglers choice.**I know this is old news to some of you but....If you really want to have some fun in the spring stuff 1/2 an Alka-Seltzer in there instead of the float***

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 12-20-11 at 02:51 PM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 03:58 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just wondering how well this might work presenting big Toro or Ish tubes in the 7" range, and how much weight I would need to keep the whole thing anchored to the bottom?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 04:44 PM   #8
merc1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Here's a lil sumpn I like that's the same only different. Pic is a little styro float cut in 1/2..closed cell foam works real good too. I just use it on a c-rig but I promise that if you give it some slack it will do the "yo-yo" thing. It also does amazing things as a jig trailer. Rattle=optional. A colored sharpie will give lots of color choices. Zoom Craw-pappy has a hollow head! Can be rigged with either hook shown or anglers choice.**I know this is old news to some of you but....If you really want to have some fun in the spring stuff 1/2 an Alka-Seltzer in there instead of the float***
that looks like a great idea!! not only will that tend to float the pinchers up, but will make a slower fall rate. i will have to give that a try.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 05:22 PM   #9
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
that looks like a great idea!! not only will that tend to float the pinchers up, but will make a slower fall rate. i will have to give that a try.
using styrofoam floats would work good, but there are lots of things you can use that may be cheaper. One thing that I saw on a fishing show years ago was to simply use foam ear plugs. The nice thing about foam ear plugs is that you can squeeze them down until they fit and then they expand back and seal the hole. You can use them to turn a tube bait into a floating topwater walk the dog bait, or you can use them like the boob rig or like KDS is using on the craw. I use the net bait paca craws. They are completly hollow and I use a 7mm glass bead rattle that slides inside, then seal the hole with an ear plug and it floats up, I used to do that a lot when I was C riging them.
If you drive by a construction site with concrete work going on, look around and you will see lots of scraps of grey foam rods. They use it as a backer before sealing expansion joints. A few feet of that will make enough foam plugs to last for years.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 05:24 PM   #10
merc1997

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
awesome jig you are using too!!
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 07:09 PM   #11
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Just wondering how well this might work presenting big Toro or Ish tubes in the 7" range, and how much weight I would need to keep the whole thing anchored to the bottom?
Hey DM I'm not familiar with either of those baits but of course more floatant=more ballast, depends on what effect you're looking for. In the pic below is a Yum Doozie on the right is a Z-man finesse. The Yum is completely hollow so you can stuff it as full and be creative as you want, the Z-man is extremely buoyant (floaty?). For the past couple of years I've been experimenting with this type of bottom weighted presentation and it is amazing what you can get these baits to do. Just play around with different combinations of hook/line size, size of plastics and different weights. Example...I can throw that little z-man worm out on the end of a dock in 8' of water..set the rod down, standup, take a leak, sit back down, pick up the rod and it's just then starting to hit bottom. Or i can weight it enough to hit the bottom before I stand up, and everything in between. Notice hook placement is on plane with bait and point up so its suprisingly snagless. I make those little weight deals out of whatever's handy but I'm sure you could buy them.
Old 12-20-11, 07:33 PM   #12
Dogmatic

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Canyo...page-CPTT.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Basst...e-BASTRXT.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mizmo...e-MIZMISH.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gitzi...page-GZST.html

Big tubes.
Those rigs you have there are similar to the Neko rig(?). I tried it this summer in the salt water with Gulp eels.(with moderate success) Never thought of using "floating" plastics. Probably be great with a Jika rig too. The craw is a good idea too, it's so hard to find floating plastics.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Damik...cpage-DNS.html

Last edited by Dogmatic; 12-20-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-20-11, 08:06 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

I like all those baits you linked but the bastrix would be my pick. Of course none of the baits I've pictured are a majic bullet, but they have produced some uncanny results for me in lots of different situations and BOW's. They always present vertical (a look most bass just have not seen), almost always suck them in whole (rare to get a nibbler or short striker or missed fish) and as mentioned you can get these plastics to sink at very slow rate. If I find fish suspended at whatever depth i can put that z-man right in their face and hang it there, twitch-p a u s e-twitch......fantastic tool for hooking some fish that just won't eat a jerkbait or a slider or whatever. Finally if you stuff that Craw-pappy with a good float on lets say a 3/16 or so jig you get a fall rate that is so slow that you have to see it to believe it..especially on heavy mono. Since the vertical worm/bottom weight presentation works best with a light wire exposed hook, it's not for everbody or every situation, but when its working.......hold on.
Old 12-23-11, 09:16 PM   #14
joedog

I like every setup shown so far.
Never been big on tubes but I am now.
Thanks everyone!
Old 12-28-11, 06:50 PM   #15
kennethdaysale

Default will float a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Canyon_Plastics_Giant_Tora_Tube_7_5pk/descpage-CPTT.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Basstrix_Trix_Tubes/descpage-BASTRXT.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mizmo_Ish_Tube_2pk/descpage-MIZMISH.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gitzit_Super_Tube_6/descpage-GZST.html

Big tubes.
Those rigs you have there are similar to the Neko rig(?). I tried it this summer in the salt water with Gulp eels.(with moderate success) Never thought of using "floating" plastics. Probably be great with a Jika rig too. The craw is a good idea too, it's so hard to find floating plastics.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Damiki_Neko_Sinker/descpage-DNS.html
Hey Dogm......check these big FLOATING Tubes
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z_Man_Toobz_8pk/descpage-ZMANTOO.html
Old 12-28-11, 09:36 PM   #16
Dogmatic

I guess ZMan makes a whole line of floating plastics, the "z" series...toobz, crawz, shadz, frogz, and creaturez. going to try 'em out this spring.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.