Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-04-11, 09:04 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Grass crankbaits.

Next season I'm gonna be looking for a 1-2 punch early in the season when the fish are real active. Last season I slayed them on lipless crankbaits ripped outa the grass. But I wanna something different to show em after they've slowed up a little.

I've gotta couple things lined up, but one things I haven't really been able to catch fish to good on is crankbaits with lips on em. So since the lakes are always grassy here, I figure spring is the best opportunity before the grass get to thick.

Few questions though... does any really have much success throwing billed cranks in cold water (around 40 low 50's)? I watched a video with Marty Stone talking a bit about cold water crankin.

And what cranks do you guys like to use around grass? Seems like most of em that I used just get hung up in the grass (these are shallow cranks btw). I'm thinking something with little to no rattles would best, with a tight wiggle.

I was thinking the Bandit Flat Maxx would work well, but how's it handle in the grass?

Looking for something in the 1-5 foot range.

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-04-11, 09:08 PM   #2
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default cold water cranks

I use x-raps from rapala they qork well for me. Worth a try
Old 12-04-11, 09:13 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do really well with Shad Raps in cold water, usually do best to work em like a jerk bait..reel down to depth stop...quick jerk....stop....quick jerk
Old 12-04-11, 09:24 PM   #4
rrw4258

I would run a KVD 1.5 on some 15 to 17 lb. mono. Should keep you right around the 2 to 3 feet area, and the grass comes off of them pretty good. Try making subtle line changes until you just start to tick the tops of the grass.

Ryan
Old 12-04-11, 09:46 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Hey Sam,

These have rattles and dive to 6 feet, so maybe they don't fit what you're looking for, but I really like the Storm Big Bass Square cranks for colder water. I'm definitely not a big crankbait guy, but I throw these a fair amount in the late fall here, which I'm assuming is weather and water temps similar to yours. I use the Shad and TN Shad colors.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 10:23 PM   #6
Bassboss

Thanks for the fast replies guys! I'll take a look at the stuff yall mentioned.
Old 12-04-11, 11:27 PM   #7
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I know its not exactly the answer you are looking for, but have you considered a swim jig? I like the Renegade ones, the lighter ones can be fished pretty slow, especially when a chunk or grub is added...I have had pretty decent luck incorporating these into my arsenal.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 11:33 PM   #8
keithdog

You might want to try removing the belly treble and just going with the tail treble hook by itself. I did that once and found it catch fewer weeds and still had a good hookup percentage.
Old 12-04-11, 11:49 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
You might want to try removing the belly treble and just going with the tail treble hook by itself. I did that once and found it catch fewer weeds and still had a good hookup percentage.
Good idea Keith, never really though of doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
I know its not exactly the answer you are looking for, but have you considered a swim jig? I like the Renegade ones, the lighter ones can be fished pretty slow, especially when a chunk or grub is added...I have had pretty decent luck incorporating these into my arsenal.
That's one of the things I've got planned for a fallow up bait, along with a few other things like the scrounger head.
Old 12-05-11, 12:05 AM   #10
BassinID

I have also done what keithdog mentioned, except I found that in the cover that I fish it is more effective to remove the tail hook and leave the belly, so long as the bass are aggressively taking the bait (usually from the side or engulf the whole thing in this case). JMHO though
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 12:31 AM   #11
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

You could just add a single large straight-shanked hook to the rear, and face it downward. I have done this before with the KVD 1.5. I couldn't see any difference in my hookup ratio.
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 06:30 AM   #12
pig n jig

I've got so many different traps,I'd just switch brand or size, sometimes color change works in the same trap.If I didn't do that I would get a 1 oz. spinnerbait and burn it across the weed tops.Chartruese blades if your catching smallmouths is deadly burned over grass.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 10:15 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bomber Fat Free Shads seems to work better than many cranks for my in cold water, as well as the good old Wiggle Wart cranked real slow. I don't usually have to deal with much grass in the early spring, so I can't tell you how good they work around it.

BB
Old 12-05-11, 10:31 AM   #14
joedog

I'm not going into who's is best or which is best, but most shallow running jerk baits will work. Has a lip.
Early, early you go deeper and as vegatation grows, move up the column. As you probably aware that the bill is the depth feature on a crank (lipped anyway). Let these folks help you decide which one's best, but once you decide, most crank lines have from bottom digging to wake baiting and everything in between and usually can get in identical colors (if you desire). Most cranks have a 2-3 foot swimming area based on line weight, crank speed, jerk force etc. Jerk baits, suspending or not, can be fished on a direct retrieve just like any crank. Jerks and suspending cranks are a go to for most Tournament and casual fisherman alike in cold water.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 10:54 AM   #15
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I would run a KVD 1.5 on some 15 to 17 lb. mono. Should keep you right around the 2 to 3 feet area, and the grass comes off of them pretty good. Try making subtle line changes until you just start to tick the tops of the grass.

Ryan
This is a key thing that many people overlook. Using a heavier line, especially mono, will keep your bait shallower. Rod position will also help you control depth. Keep it high for a shallower retrieve. My favorite shallow crank is the XCalibur XCS in the 100 or 200 size. I don't know how well they would work in cold water compared to any other bait but that's probably the one I would start with.
Old 12-05-11, 10:05 PM   #16
Dogmatic

Maybe...a wake bait, or slow sinking swimbait?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Koppe...e-KLTBGWK.html

Last edited by Dogmatic; 12-06-11 at 12:21 PM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 10:29 PM   #17
pig n jig

Do you have a Lucky craft LV-0 ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 10:33 PM   #18
rrw4258

Yep, mono is the key when keeping a bait shallower in the water column. As far as the squarebills, I have had some good days with the XCS 100 and the KVD 1.5 in colder water in the spring (less than 50*). A KVD 1.5 accounted for my biggest LM this year... a 5 lb. 3 oz. bass caught in 47 degree water with the bait all the way back in the gills/throat area... I was able to get the lure out through the back of the gills, and the fish swam away healthy. Couple of pics of the battle scared crank below...

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0504111016a.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	7386   Click image for larger version

Name:	0504111018.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	7387  
Old 12-05-11, 11:35 PM   #19
skeeter1804

In cold water I fish a Bandit series 200 or an original Wiggle Wart. Chatterbaits also work well in the grass.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 12:08 PM   #20
Bassboss

Definitely gonna get some KVD 1.5's. They look like pretty good cranks Ryan. I'll probably get the craw lookin color among others, as that's what worked real well last year.

I think the wiggle wart might be a little deep for the area I'm fishing, but I'll try a few different things for sure.

Only lucky craft baits I got is a few pointers, and they go a little deep for where I'm fishin, they tend to get caught up in the grass to much though.
Old 12-06-11, 07:16 PM   #21
bluebasser86

Bandit Flat Maxx, DT flat series, shallow shad rap for a finesse bait.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 07:47 PM   #22
jig fisherman

How about some small hollow swimbaits? They have a subtle action, and with the right line and weight you could keep them in the tips of the grass and pop them out if you desire, without really worrying about snagging grass?
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-11, 11:23 PM   #23
Bender

In grass be sure to try a swim jig. A crankbait that I have always done very well with is the Manns Baby 1-, but that is usually after the water has warmed up a little and the bass have moved up.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 02:18 AM   #24
Crankbait

I got three cranks for you in the shallow range….the bass pro egg….3/8 model and the storm subwart and the bass pro shops lazer eye nitro super shallow crank.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 10:02 PM   #25
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

Lucky craft RC 1.5 or kvd 1.5 I run mine on 15# copolymer
set_the_hook is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.