Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-26-13, 06:30 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 2014 Member Event?

Anyone have any preference for next year's get-together? I have a good feeling about this one, with high hopes for all involved to have good luck in their family lives and be able to come.
Old 08-26-13, 06:38 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm keeping my eye on this thread!!!!!!
Old 08-26-13, 08:04 PM   #3
bassboogieman

It's not even Labor Day...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 09:44 PM   #4
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I suggest the Heart of the Ozarks...Table Rock Lake! Not that I'm partial, of course.
Old 08-27-13, 08:55 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Do the Potomac snakehead have any influence? A few may be willing to sacrifice themselves to the fry pan...
Old 08-27-13, 10:43 AM   #6
WTL

Snakehead do have some currency. I think plenty of people would be interested in the potomac area. What are the accomodations options?
Old 08-27-13, 12:25 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

That's 16 hours+ for me, according to MapQuest. Add more time for gassing up, eating, etc, and I'd be looking at 20ish hours. That makes it a 2 day trip, which pretty much rules me out. I guess there might be a slim chance I could fly, but that means no boat, renting a car, and not sure how I would take any rods with me.
I'd love to fish the Potomac, I've heard lots of great things about it, but I don't think it would work for me.
HOWEVER, that's only my vote. I have no idea if I'll be able to make it regardless of location, so let others speak up before ruling it out completely.
Old 08-27-13, 12:54 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

Every year, we usually try to accomodate as many members as we can, and make the member event in a central location, as close to as many of us as possible. However, since we're spread out from Florida to Texas to California to Michigan to Pennsylvania (and probably farther), even the "middle" of everybody is a long, long haul for the outliers. Dale Hollow last year was about a 10-11 hour trip for me, and I was one of the closer ones. It was a good bit longer for Bruce and Doc. That's about as centralized as it can get, and it's still a trek to get there for a lot of us.
I know there's a map that somebody created on another site and posted a link to that a lot of us marked our locations on, but I can't find it. If I were to try to take a SWAG at the most centralized location for all of us, it would probably be pretty near Kentucky Lake, or maybe a little farther northeast. But that's a wayfar drive for the guys in Texas and everybody in the Northeast.
There's never going to be a "perfect" location, only the "best" location possible.
Old 08-27-13, 02:34 PM   #9
bassboogieman

Daniel, that is NO problem. Ship your rods to me and fly to Phila, Baltimore or DC, I'm sure you can have a spot on the back of someone's boat - possibly, even mine. I've driven the 14+ hours to Dale Hollow - twice - and Wheeler which was 16+ hours. It isn't that big a deal, but then I'm retired and have so much time on my hands., But honestly, I don't want to be the guy that drives 14 hours next year.

A gathering on the Potomac will be much different than those previous - there are no resorts with docking, food or launching on site. It will be a motel based stay, either on the VA or MD side. I am only familiar with the MD side, specifically the Indianhead, MD area on Mattawoman Creek, possibly the best fishing creek on the Potomac. That's where I originate all my Potomac trips. It's centrally located on the Potomac about 20 miles s/o DC (by water) and just about the same to the 301 bridge to the south and the mouth of the Potomac.

There is a campground at Smallwood State Park, but it has minimal facilities - community shower, no cooking, bare basics. For me a motel is much more comfortable.

The southern locations seem to have a definite advantage when it comes to "all inclusive" places to stay. But I don't think I'm going deep south next year because - really - fishing hasn't been all that great for the time invested (for me) to get there and that's for the previous three years (Wheeler and Dale Hollow x2). I like Dale Hollow, smallmouth and top water (who wouldn't like that) and the place we stayed but I need better fishing (numbers) to make the trip worth the effort and more importantly the expense.

If there is serious interest in some mid-Atlantic venue, like the Potomac, I can provide additional details, or if someone wants to visit the area for a few days other than for a BF.com "event", let me know. I always enjoy fishing the Potomac, whether in a boat or kayak.

Oh, and all that aside - I would be (very, maybe very very) willing to fly down to Texas and fish Falcon if that is the choice for 2014, but I would need a boat or better yet fish a few days with a guide.
Old 08-27-13, 05:54 PM   #10
keithdog

It's way to early for me to commit to anything. As for where we host the event, a centralized location is a good idea, but as mentioned already, still too far away for most folks for a couple days fishing. So really, I see no problem with shifting it around to various regions of the country each year to give the various regional groups of members the opportunity to attend one of our events. Some members are ok with an extra long drive, as they have plenty of vacation time to burn. Others don't. The important thing is to make sure wherever we host it, there are enough localized anglers within a 10 hour drive to make it worth while. The Potomac would be fine if reasonable accommodations can be made. That would include being able to park boats, charge batteries, and so forth. Plus lodging expense. Ohio is fairly centralized for many. Wherever it's held, there will be folks who can't make the drive, so I say shift it around from year to year.
Old 08-27-13, 06:56 PM   #11
nobass

i am willing to drive with in 10 hours or so. like bruce and doc much more than that be pushing it. me centeral would be some where in va or ohio. i am more than willing to let someone fish with me last year at dale with none to share the boat or cost was no fun. besides i need someone to change my luck. i always seeem to have something break or worse and after falling off the boat i really do not want to fish alone. as far accommodations i spent enougfh time roughing it. i could however bring a generator for charging and lights . as i am gettihg long in the tooth and do not think there will many more off these events for me. so closer is much better. i could recommend paris th or some where in that area. but still daniel and bruce have a long way to travel as dose keith
Old 08-28-13, 12:29 AM   #12
WTL

The other states I regretted never seeing events in were Florida and Texas. For obvious reasons, they have been non-starters in the past...but the fishing is good and the locations are unique when compared to a lot of the water in the nation.

The fact is, though, that we are humble fishermen and its just expensive to do a trip, no matter where you go. Heck, a 50 mile trip is expensive.
Old 08-28-13, 09:12 AM   #13
bassboogieman

Quote:
Heck, a 50 mile trip is expensive
That from a kayaker - of which I am also one - but add a boat, with a big outboard (you can use) and it becomes REAL EXPENSIVE. Last year I spent nearly $600 in gas (boat & truck) ALONE for Dale Hollow and the year before that, gas was more expensive it was over $700 (burnt more gas in boat, too). Compared to a KAYAK trip to Florida last year I only spent $450 on gas (used my wife's Jeep).

I agree with WTL in that a Florida reunion would be great, but I don't think we have many members from Florida. Late winter like mid-Jan to mid-Feb would be appreciated by NORFERS like me, a chance to get into some warm weather and I'd love a reunion with some of the 'gators I met last time. And Florida - I would do in a kayak (unless we picked the Big O), more fun and excitement (meeting 'gators).
Old 08-28-13, 09:39 PM   #14
keithdog

I might add a thought here. It would be better IMHO if the event was not scheduled on a holiday such as Mothers Day as it was this year, or Fathers Day for that matter. That's an important family related holiday for many people. I can't imagine choosing a fishing trip over spending Mothers Day with my wife and kids.
Old 08-29-13, 12:21 AM   #15
bassboogieman

As for the time, depending upon the location chosen I think Mr. Bryce wants to go a few weeks earlier if it happens to be Dale Hollow. I tend to agree (based on the previous two years, three if you include Wheeler) with his opinion that May is too late for the pre-spawn bite at the Hollow or any of the southern lakes for that matter. That would also eliminate the Mother's Day dilemma. Dale Hollow and any other southern venue should be late March or early April to hit better numbers I believe because by the middle of May the spring excitement is over. I've been to Guntersville in late March and caught some good largemouth, although the weather can be iffy - we had a couple days of severe thunderstorms that actually drove us outta there a day early.
Old 08-29-13, 09:43 AM   #16
nofearengineer

Funny you mention Mother's Day. I have until the past couple years always taken my Mom out to lunch and what not. I kidded her last year about missing it again. And this is why I always bring these things up early so we can chew on it for a while.

Hell, due to some recent developments, I have no idea what my schedule is going to be like next spring.
Old 08-29-13, 10:26 AM   #17
bassboogieman

Quote:
Hell, due to some recent developments, I have no idea what my schedule is going to be like next spring.
so you getting married or what? That can screw up you schedule like nothing else.
Old 08-29-13, 10:54 AM   #18
nofearengineer

Not planning on it, but it is nice to have to coordinate with someone elses schedule for a change. The caveman life was getting old.
Old 08-30-13, 08:20 PM   #19
bamabassman

i am WANTING and PLANNING to attend. i may be in north dakota for the winter though. so if I have a preference.....it's somewhere WARM, hahahahahaha!!!!
Old 08-30-13, 09:19 PM   #20
bassboogieman

North Dakota in the winter? You? A southern boy like yourself will not survive. They have this stuff called SNOW and when it gets really cold, like frozen family jewels cold, they have this stuff called ICE, you may have heard of that? Huh? Didja? Not like ice you put in your coke, but like those little cubes magnified a few THOUSAND TIMES! And you have to WALK on it and worse drive on it. You're doomed...
Old 09-01-13, 07:45 PM   #21
woody

Did someone mention pre-spawn on Dale Hollow?

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-13, 10:01 PM   #22
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Did someone mention pre-spawn on Dale Hollow?

-Mark
LOL...now that will get Woody's attention!
Old 09-02-13, 12:51 AM   #23
MississippiBoy

Like a T-bone in front of a wolf.
Old 09-02-13, 03:32 PM   #24
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippiboy View Post
like a t-bone in front of adam.
fify............
Old 09-02-13, 08:51 PM   #25
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

One of these years, I'm going to make one of the events.
Misourrah was mentioned at one point. I could use another trip to MO

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.