Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-27-14, 02:29 PM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Do these craw immitations work?

I'm a sucker for a sale and bought these locally on a close out.
They are hollow bodied and only the bottom one (red shad, 3.5") has caught a bass. Has anybody had luck with them? Are there more ways to rig them other than with a jig hook? I was thinking of using them as a trailer on a skirted jig .

If they don't work for most anglers, what's the point of matching a prey species with something that's a perfect match?
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 07:04 PM   #2
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You could rig a tube jighead inside the hollow baits.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 08:06 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't know about the top two, but the YUM is a dead ringer for the discontinued Mad Man Craws of a couple years ago - they caught fish. Rigged as Mark mentioned with a weighted tube hook, the Mad Man/YUM baits do a very good imitation of a live crawdad. The solid ones, like the top one, I see used more often as a jig trailer.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 11:08 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The top one reminds me of the Yum Craw Papi but with smaller claws. I've done very well pitching it t-rigged with a tungsten weight into submerged vegetation.
Old 01-28-14, 08:52 AM   #5
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use craws a lot, when the water's cold or I am fishing very slow through thick weeds.
I've always had better success without all the legs.
Watching crayfish in an aquarium, I've noticed that the legs are always under the body, not out to the sides. I don't know if that's why artificials work better without the legs or not, but I do know that the craw comes through heavy weeds much better without them.

Leave the claws and feelers on, trim all the legs and "fins" off the sides. The ones with spread tails on them, trim the edges so they can't catch on weeds, etc. Rig them texas style, with the hook point in the plastic. I like keeper style hooks, with the pin or spring on the hook eye to hold the front of the lure. If you are fishing less than 12 feet of water, go weightless and let just the hook weight sink the craw.

Fish very slow, wait between moves. If you think you are fishing slow enough ... count to 30 after you can't wait anymore, then move the craw a few inches. A feeding crayfish makes very little motion, and sits on the food for as long as possible. Bass "sneak up" on prey that isn't "paying attention".
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:05 AM   #6
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You've all renewed my faith in these baits. Will give them a try in spring. Thanks
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-14, 06:37 PM   #7
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used plastic craws successfully flipping heavy grass. I rig them with a 3/8 oz. pegged slip sinker.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.