Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-03-06, 10:58 PM   #1
lakefisher15
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hoolapoppers and Frogs

I have several Hoolapoppers (sp?) and frogs but I have never caught anything with them. I am wondering if these kind of surface lures are best for bass or should I go with a deeper diving lure? Any tips as to how to use them? I thought it was best to do a slow crank and pause strategy, but its getting me nowhere! My buddy and I are having a fishing competition this weekend, so some help is appreciated! (he always wins)
lakefisher15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 03:10 AM   #2
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have the best luck with a hulapopper either early morning or right at dusk, But I have caught some nice bass at other times of the day too, just not as many. I like to cast it let it sit there a little bit, then just twitch my rod just enough to make it pop. Then I let it sit a little and repeat and reel in just the slack in the line that comes as the popper gradually works torward me with each pop. As far as I know, most popping lures are not meant to be cranked like a crankbait.

I've just recently started trying frogs, so I'm no help there. Usually the box the lure came in gives a few instructions. Or check out some of the older posts, they are talked about often, or if there's a site for the manufactuer of the lure, you might want to check there. Sometimes they have tips you can read about retrival. Hope I helped a bit.
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 05:02 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hulapop-rs like a pop-r are best work by rythm at night. finding this rythm is the hard part..

zooker
Old 08-04-06, 07:13 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have owned a couple Hoola Poppers for nearly 30 years now and have never caught a bass on one. I can't tell you why, as I have caught many many bass on my other top water baits. I cast the bait out abd let the water settle untill it's smooth and begin a retrieve consisting of a gentle twitch, pause, twitch, pause, to get a soft pop from the bait. But to no avail. However, my torpedo lures and banana style top waters tear it up. Go figure. As for the frogs, I have had good success working them slowly through lilly pads which lay flat on the surface, and over and around weedbeds that have grown up to or near the surface. Fished much the same way as my hoola popper is, only with much better results. I almost always start early in the morning with top water. I love the thrill of seeing the bass crash into my bait. But if top water isn't working, then I move to a spinner bait and shallow running crank. Move to your deeper running crank baits after that, or when the sun drives them deeper.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 08:00 AM   #5
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

one of the biggest bass i have encountered, hit a hulapopper, $4.00 lure.
the line broke, and i never did get my lure back. i am beginning to think there is no rhyme or reason to catching bass. at times i think a clothespin with a hook on it would catch a bass. i would venture to say, almost anything with a hook would catch a bass, if the bass was hungry or angry* (dont know how someone came up with that thought*). on the light side, i have the bait monkey on my back everytime i go to walmart.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.