Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-28-06, 08:12 PM   #1
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman
Default Ok, I need help!

This is tenth day in a row I have went fishing and have only caught that one huge one on sat. that I did'nt get to even see because it came off. I get a bite like once every couple a days and that is it, I have tried senkos flukes craws spinnerbaits buzzbaits and bruch hog's, know i am stumped. The place is pretty shallow LOTS of lilly pads with little openings witch is where I cast. Alot of bushes around the pond, and Very murky water. but I know for sure that their are bass in their, just about every time I cast their is water breaking right next to it & I can tell that is for sure a fish so what do i do!!!
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 08:21 PM   #2
mack

those could be carp or other fish. id try clearing another area to fish. thats how spots are made. people make openings. if they are there, its only a matter of finding them.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 08:27 PM   #3
ironman

There are about 5 ponds there and they all look the same.
Old 09-28-06, 08:28 PM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Go with light line and small grubs.

These look pretty good, and the smaller in this case the better.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Thread those babies on a small jig head, use 6 lb test or so and a light spinning rod and you really should get some action. I think its better for newer anglers to start out with finnesse gear, pic up good numbers of bass and get a feel for overall bass behavoir.

Cause you are going to pick things up slowly if you only get a bass every now and then. I remember I started with ratltraps and spinnerbaits and topwaters, which was the wrong thing to do, cause I would average a fish once every 3 or so trips that first year. I didn't really start improving until I started getting away from bigger baits, and started catching better numbers of fish. The size was terrible, but I learned something each time I hooked up, and now I can apply that to so many different lures just cause I have a better understanding of how bass postion themselves, what they strike, and the angles involved in that.

Last edited by WTL; 09-28-06 at 08:34 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 08:32 PM   #5
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

if you fish the same pond everyday, give it a break. you can over fish a pond easily.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 08:35 PM   #6
ironman

The only line I have is that 50lb powerpro briad would that work???And i have a grub that is small like that but it doues not have the curl in the tail, it just looks like a oval with a tiny tip at the end, would that work and it is just brown. And do you have any tip's on useing them???

Last edited by ironman; 09-28-06 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 08:39 PM   #7
ironman

Here it is, color 02.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
Old 09-28-06, 08:42 PM   #8
WTL

It wont work like you want it to. Light mono, 6 lb test, get some beetle spins and white/grey grubs with a twist tail. I never use other types of grubs, I know they sell them for a reason so I wont say it wont work. What I think you need to do is downsize everything, and 50 lb test braid aint doing it.

Do you have a light spinning rod?

Reb, what do you think?

Last edited by WTL; 09-28-06 at 08:48 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 08:49 PM   #9
crankybait

WTL- just for my personal knowledge, i was under the impression that in murky water you were suposed to use bigger profile baits
Old 09-28-06, 08:52 PM   #10
ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
It wont work like you want it to. Light mono, 6 lb test, get some beetle spins and white/grey grubs with a twist tail. I never use other types of grubs, I know they sell them for a reason so I wont say it wont work. What I think you need to do is downsize everything, and 50 lb test braid aint doing it.

Do you have a light spinning rod?

Reb, what do you think?
I only have mediam rods, so i am guessing that the 50lbpowerpro wont work eh?
Old 09-28-06, 08:54 PM   #11
WTL

The water is murky?

Yes, a lot of the time at least. I still think his chances are better with the little grub in murky water though. Thats what you learn after a while, there are all these exceptions to the rules. He has to learn that with experience. I might say chartruse grubs as well, sometimes they will show up a bit better in murky water.

BTW, Ironman - you be in florida. By murky do you mean muddy, or do you mean black like coffee? Black like coffee in florida is still clear a lot of times, it just has that tint created by the cypress trees.

Only medium rods? Might have to go with slighly larger grubs then. Make sure you can cast it accuratly. That is key.
Old 09-28-06, 08:54 PM   #12
texasbasser

dont overfish a small pond!!! and rite before a tourny??
Old 09-28-06, 08:56 PM   #13
WTL

Texas, if he aint getting bit it aint overfishing.
Old 09-28-06, 08:58 PM   #14
ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
The water is murky?

Yes, a lot of the time at least. I still think his chances are better with the little grub in murky water though. Thats what you learn after a while, there are all these exceptions to the rules. He has to learn that with experience. I might say chartruse grubs as well, sometimes they will show up a bit better in murky water.

BTW, Ironman - you be in florida. By murky do you mean muddy, or do you mean black like coffee? Black like coffee in florida is still clear a lot of times, it just has that tint created by the cypress trees.

Only medium rods? Might have to go with slighly larger grubs then. Make sure you can cast it accuratly. That is key.
No it is muddy, well it is definatly not black , shallow you can see but at about a foot and a half it's gone, So for that jig I was thinking that smoke color?? and how do you recommend using it?
Old 09-28-06, 08:59 PM   #15
crankybait

I see, thank you for clearing that up. i have all medium action rods as well... i can fish most lures on my avid, but for baits with hidden hooks i use my ugly stik. still medium action but much stronger. Planning on getting an UL for the slow winter fishing, just to see what it is like. When it was raining and i was fishing i decided to throw a big black and chartruse senko... didnt work out but that part of the pond was not doing so well anyway.
Old 09-28-06, 09:03 PM   #16
WTL

You mean the jig head? The color of that doesn't matter as much, I use unpainted a lot. Unpainted, white, chartruse, even red might work.

Thread the grub straight on the jig. Fishing it is the easy part, just cast it out, reel it in, you might add a little action but its not always essential and sometimes might hurt. Just a nice steady retrieve. This will catch bass, crappie, bream and all sorts of other fish. You will also learn how to play a fish with the light line.

1 1/2 foot aint too bad as far as clarity.
Old 09-28-06, 09:03 PM   #17
ironman

Yea, all my sticks are ugly sticks(it is imbaressing i know) but there are all medium action.
Old 09-28-06, 09:26 PM   #18
keithdog

Hey Ironman, you shouldn't be embarressed about using Ugly Sticks. They are a pretty damn good rod for the price. Would be good if you had an medium heavy to heavy action rod for the heavier cover. Have a question for you. Have you ever used a black Johnsons Spoon with a black Uncle Josh pork frog for a trailer? I have used that combo for many years in shallow weedcover like lilly pads with very good results. The black color would show up pretty well in murkey water.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 09:29 PM   #19
lizardsrule

How old are these ponds? And are there other people fishing them besides yourself? Night time would be a very good choice of fishing here right now. It's still hot as he!!, and the fish are still cooking. I'm waiting for em to just start floating up, ready for a little tarter sauce.

Lizards
Old 09-28-06, 09:30 PM   #20
ironman

I have never used a spoon before.
Old 09-28-06, 09:31 PM   #21
texasbasser

you should, spoons work well and they hook a fish really good, ive never had a bass throw the hook on one of em
Old 09-28-06, 09:32 PM   #22
mack

iron, ill send you a few grubs like the ones WTL posted. and ill see if i have a few spoons laying around. they might be small if i have them tho.
Old 09-28-06, 09:33 PM   #23
ironman

[quote=lizardsrule;126954]How old are these ponds? And are there other people fishing them besides yourself? Night time would be a very good choice of fishing here right now. It's still hot as he!!, and the fish are still cooking. I'm waiting for em to just start floating up, ready for a little tarter sauce.

me and my friend are the only ones that I know about that fish them.Tarter sauce??? i was also woundering if that new plastic smell of the soft plastics scares them away because i don' usally use scent once in awhile I will use the Yum garlic but that is it.
Old 09-28-06, 09:33 PM   #24
ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
iron, ill send you a few grubs like the ones WTL posted. and ill see if i have a few spoons laying around. they might be small if i have them tho.
Thank's mack. i am new at grubs so....LOL
Old 09-28-06, 09:35 PM   #25
mack

oh and some 10 pound test

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.