Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-05, 07:11 PM   #1
jwing
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Any Interest in Live Waterdogs?

I live in western Nebraska and we are having a banner year for our Waterdog population. Much needed spring rains filled up area ponds, and the Tiger Salamanders went crazy.

I am trying to determine if there is an interest out there to ship live waterdogs for Bass bait. I have access to the Waterdogs, and we also run a Fedex ship center as part of our business, so I have the means to get them to your home.

For anyone not familiar with a Waterdog, they are considered by many to be the best Bass bait on the planet. Waterdogs are immature Tiger Salamanders, living underwater and breathing through gills. They are generally 5 to 7 inches in length and have been known to catch Big Bass.

We could ship them in lots of 2 to 4 dozen, with a price around 2.50-3.50 per Waterdog, 2nd Day Air shipping included. Please reply if this is something that interests you. I could use some input in making a decision whether or not to take the time and energy required to make this a viable business.

Jeff
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 07:25 PM   #2
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Sounds interesting. But aren't they known to kill fish as well? I thought I heard about them killing fish. Not sure
Old 10-12-05, 07:40 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Haven't tried them, but then all I use are artificials. Heard they are good for big bass, though.
Old 10-13-05, 02:42 PM   #4
jwing
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish On
Sounds interesting. But aren't they known to kill fish as well? I thought I heard about them killing fish. Not sure
No, waterdogs will not kill fish, but fish will kill waterdogs in a big way. Fish and birds prey heavily on waterdogs so you won't find many waterdogs in water that has a fish population.

To be more presise, a waterdog will eat a minnow, or anything else it can catch and fit in it's mouth, but it is generally the prey, not the predator.
Old 01-10-07, 12:20 AM   #5
eeehougen
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I need some waterdogs.

I am looking for waterdogs. The bait store i usually get them from won't have them untill mid-March. Email me if you are interested. My email is:

erik_hougen@yahoo.com
eeehougen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 05:55 AM   #6
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I hate the slimey half a snake things, We are a couple of months away from bullhead fishing. Where I fish you will catch a 6 to 1 ratio of waterdogs to bullhead.They wrap around your wrist when your trying to unhook them, I have found it easier to knock them in the head,remove your hook and throw them in a garbage bag to take to the trash can at the parking lot.They get big here, seen them as big as 13 inches long here. There is so many waterdogs in the river where I catch bass in the spring, I doubt like hell the bass really do prefer to eat them.I throw probably 250-500 waterdogs to the trash can a year and most people just throw them on the bank, but after a few days they get to stinking so bad, you don't really want to fish in that spot anymore. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 08:12 AM   #7
FlyRod

Angry

Well, no more Waterdawgs for THIS Sooner! I bought one at the bait shop, as a pet, and the &^%$~! kept chasing my Watercats!
So, I gave him to Reb, and the &%^#$! thing ate his favorite bedroom slippers! (Linky below, pre-chewing.)

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...ippers_two.jpg

I finally gave him to the San Antonio Zoo, where he grew up nicely!

http://www.mudpusher.com/images/komodo.jpg

Now, he works in the K-9 unit for the Border Patrol, on the Rio Grande. So far, he's, uhhh, "Neutralized" (See: Digested) over a hundred "Undocumented Migrants". Nice work, Rover!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-05, 08:42 PM   #8
Rodman_Rob

Got any pics? Could we request just BIGGUNS? Its kinda expensive, 2 dozen would be $50 plus shipping? I can get 2 dozen wild shiners for less than half that.
Old 10-13-05, 02:38 PM   #9
jwing
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
Got any pics? Could we request just BIGGUNS? Its kinda expensive, 2 dozen would be $50 plus shipping? I can get 2 dozen wild shiners for less than half that.

That picture came from a government site somewhere. I will take better pics when I get time.

The price I mentioned before included shipping, but I don't want this thread to sound like an advertisement, so I would like to avoid discussing things that might get this thread deleted. I really just wanted to find out how many of you had an interest in using Waterdogs for bait.

As far as Shiners vs Waterdogs goes, Shiners will always be less expensive, but people that use the dogs will tell you that they really get the job done for Big Bass, and they are very hardy. A half a dozen Waterdogs might last an afternoon of good fishing.
Old 10-13-05, 06:55 AM   #10
lizardsrule

IF I used live bait, then by all means I would be very interested. As we all know LIZARDSRULE BASS! Along with the waterdogs too.

Lizards
Old 01-10-07, 09:29 AM   #11
skeeter944

rotflmao at flyrod!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 09:54 AM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

jwing=eeehougen.....??????
Old 01-10-07, 08:12 PM   #13
pig n jig

Lizards , you going to use these things when your not so fond of snakes ?
Old 01-10-07, 08:22 PM   #14
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

roflmao flyrod

I think jwing is the same dude as eeehougen, Trying to spice up the thread with someone interested.........
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 08:45 PM   #15
pig n jig

Rebbasser, I hope you had gotten those slippers for christmas ?either that, or quit trying those free samples from your job, they're messing with our minds as well as yours ? P N J
Old 01-11-07, 01:40 AM   #16
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Rebbasser, I hope you had gotten those slippers for christmas ?either that, or quit trying those free samples from your job, they're messing with our minds as well as yours ? P N J
Nah, PnJ, Flyrod gave them to me for Christmas. I sent them to Ralphie, the kid in "A Christmas Story" to accent the pink bunny suit!

eeehougan, welcome to the forum! Flyrod and I are both in San Antonio.
Old 01-11-07, 01:07 AM   #17
eeehougen
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Waterdogs

Hey if you want to make some money go catch a bunch of them dogs and sell them to me. Those things are like gold in south texas. Seriously if you are interested let me know.
eeehougen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:56 AM   #18
lizardsrule

PNJ,

NOPE!

Lizards
Old 01-11-07, 07:45 PM   #19
zooker

nasty dam things. glad they are rare around here or it would be like pnj said a stinky lake bank..

zooker
Old 01-12-07, 05:53 PM   #20
pig n jig

Hey Zooker, come on home in april, we'll go to west river and fish for mudpuppies... errr I meant to say bullheads.Lmao..... P N J
Old 01-13-07, 12:40 PM   #21
JB

Keep in mind most serious anglers on this forum only use plastics or pork lures to catch fish..however we all have started out or have used minnows and leeches, waterdogs etc..I think the novelty of live bait for that big fish is what draws most to wanting a shiner of waterdog, or spring lizard
Be prepared to watch you line if you do have a waterdog on, they tend to move around and hide under objects, you may think you have a fish on, and in reality its just the waterdog moving.
Also read up on securely hooking the waterdog in a matter that it won't kill the livebait, as well as it won't fling off as you cast.
A hook through the spine or back may kill the waterdog, so be careful.
I usually hook any live object either through the lips, the eyes right above the nose, or the tail section..personally for minnnows I always goe through the eyes, or lips..this provides more action and it takes longer to kill the minnow..an will save you on bait and money.
Good luck with those slippery devils..I always figured cat fishermen that wanted to move up to bass fishin skills have an interest in waterdogs.
For me, when I first started fishing, we would go to the creeks in the spring and look under rocks on the bank for spring lizards, its free, plus water dogs being sold are hard to find, and expensive...hope ya dont bring in a burbot the first catch ROFL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 01:12 PM   #22
trigr

Default waterdogs

I used waterdogs once on lake fork in texas. It had been a horrible week to fish cold and rain. Not much action on artificial baits. The last day we thought we would try waterdogs that we seen at the local bait store. There were 4 of us in 2 boats and we anchor beside each other and fished that day. We caught 8 LM that weighed almost 53 pounds, plus 3 catfish that weighed 24 pounds and 2 dog fish about 5 pounds each.
Old 01-21-07, 01:18 PM   #23
trigr

Click image for larger version

Name:	A_tigrinum1MAXWELL.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1329

Hope this works never posted a pic b4!!
Old 08-07-07, 11:43 AM   #24
FlyRod

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
nasty dam things. glad they are rare around here or it would be like pnj said a stinky lake bank..

zooker

And...they'll bite yer a$$!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 02:53 AM   #25
conan1
BassFishin.Com Member

I always heard iff the waterdogs were biting then you might as well quit fishing cause nothing else will bite ???
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.