Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-05-10, 06:19 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A question for Zooker -

I saw this pic in another post and didn't want to hijack it.

How do you manage with a mix of left and right hand retreive baitcasters? Are you truely ambidexterious, or in the process of switching over to lefties? Personally I can't manage a left handed baitcaster at all and for me, trying to manage using both would have me pulling out the last few hairs on my head. Or is it just a matter of preference dictated by the presentation of the lure? Finally as you are using both, which is your dominant hand, and do you have a preference for lefty or righty when it comes to baitcasters? Just curious, as I haven't seen many guys that will use both on a regular basis, most are committed to left or right, but not many go both ways. Thanks.

Also saw in the other post a couple others that share my opinion of Shimano reels - I can't understand the loyality of Shimano guys with the many fine reels available today that I believe are better, and more economical than the "famed" Curado (in particular).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 08:49 AM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I know this was a question for Zooker , and I am sure he will answer. However , I own Abu Garcia Revos , an SX and Priemer from a few years ago , I own Pflueger reels , a cheaper Daiwa and have tried a few others , by far the best reels I currently own are the Shimano Curado and even my new Citica. Love em or not , they are great reels.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 08:51 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

boogie

i learned the hard way..tore tendons and leigmits in my left wrist shooting a 500sw.3 weeks prior to a 6 man federation tourny.. i bummed a couple of lefty reels off a club member..the rest was history..

when i do use a lefty reel i use it mainly for flippin,pitchin,jerkbaits, or the frog..in that pic there is two pfluger trions, two diawas,an extreme and a revo..i probly have another 3-4 lefty's..

the reason is simple actually. if you using all right handed reels in the course of an 8-10 tourny..your right arm will be come fatigued.and you will barely be able to lift your arm-i have been there done dat-..

switching to the "off side" hand produces less fatigue.it allows almost insant hooksets during flippin..plus you can throw a crank on a righty reel to rest the right hand..i use both right and left pitching reels if i know i am goin to be doing alot of pitching.. i do so to rest both arms..

besides i am truly ambidexterious and can cast with both hands..

using both is the way to go imho...

cmorg
there is 5 reels on that hood that are older than some members here..the one on the top left is 28 years old...there is a VERY good reason i use older quantums. they are simplly the most reliable reel out there..

i have used sh!tmano's they never were and NEVER will be worth the money..i fish 250+ days a year-this last year being an exception-on average i send in 6-7 reels a year for cleaning and repair.cause i beat the hell out of my gear..if i was using sh!tmano's every single one of them would need repair.they DON'T hold up...

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 06-05-10 at 09:04 AM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 07:37 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I can use both as well. I started out lefty, I'm right handed. I prefer reeling lefty, that way I don't have to switch hands all the time. Like I said, and can fish righty as well, I don't not like fishing righty, and I don't really mind switching hands, but it's lefty is faster and more convenient for me. I'll fish righty with anything but flipping and pitching, I simply REFUSE to do so!! I've not really fished any other righty reels with anything other than cranks, but I'd imagine that it's harder to imply any precise action into anything like a jig or worm. But if I find a great deal on a reel, but they only have righties, I'll get it without a second thought, no matter what it'll be used for (with the exception of flipping).

But since you mentioned ambidextrous, I am kinda. I can write legibly with my left as well. Reason being is because when I was in fifth grade, and messed up on of my finger, and my math teacher made me use my left anyways. I hated her for that at the time, but right now, I couldn't thank her more!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-05-10 at 07:45 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:23 PM   #5
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think this boils down to habits. Zook found a way to make using either/or a habit so can do both well. For myself, I am right handed and grew up with right handed spincast reels... but once I started buying my own equipment, I started to love left handed reels because it feels like I have more control over the rod and lure with my right so it just feels more natural. I prefer spinning reels myself but if and when I do use a baitcast, I always prefer and do better with lefties.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.