Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-22-07, 07:25 PM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Default HooKS?

I once was fishing in a tourney, and for the life of me I regret that day. I was fishing a frog, something like Yums buzz'n frog and man 1st fish wam I set the hook and nothing, 2nd fish kaboom wait wait feel the weight of the fish set the hook and nothing. this went on for four. Yes 4 hours of and eight hour tourney. I was mad and everything and so I wanted to find out what I was doing wrong. My partner switched to a Zoom horny toad and couldn't get bit for nothing. I made up my mind to see what went wrong and it all let up to my hook. It was a gammy 5/0 I think maybe 4/0. In retrospect I should have added a trailer hook but I became so unravelled. I went to the local Tackle store and got some Owner Extra wide, Wide Gaps. Been catching every thing that hit my from. Everything. I learned then and there that I have to up my hook game. I still use gammys but I pay close attention to what lure and hook combo I use.

What about you, ever had something like this happen to you? What hooks do you use the most and for what applications or what type of hook (make, model, manufactor) do you use in various techniques.
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 07:52 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For a frog-a 5/0 Gammy EWG. I used to use offset shank worm hooks but in the last year started using Yum Dinger sift stickbaits that have a groove in the back for the hook. An EWG hook worked better, so that is what I have moved to. The only thing I don't use an EWG hook for is T-rigging a finesse, trick, or curl tail worm. These have a diameter about the size of a pencil, so for those I like a 1/0 or 2/0 Tru-Turn hook.
Old 01-22-07, 08:49 PM   #3
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the bigger the hook the better....remeber that as long as it doesn't hurt the action......I like a wide gap for the frogs and stuff but a straight shank for everything else...trust me you will have better hookups with a straight shank if you decide to fish it......some baits like tubes work better with the ewg...just get a nice straight shank hook...I use mustads for worming...get some fishin glue and its on like donkey kong...lol.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 10:08 PM   #4
Jolly

I love the mustad ultra points! They are cheap, sharp and dependable. I use the straight worm hook for every thing soft plastic (except flukes and tubes). For tubes and flukes I use the Mustad Ultra point Tube Hook usually 3 or 4 size, but for the large saltwater tubes we fish in the spawn, I use an 8. I use the biggest hook that will reasonably fit the bait. However, in the spawn I use a 5 alot. I even put it into dropshot 4" senkos. Fish don't seem to mind and the hook gives me confidence. I can count the number of fish missed by these hooks on 1 hand and they were probably my fault. 90% of hook set seems to be in the top of their mouth or right out their nose making it impossible for the fish to shake off. I think for the money they are by far the best hooks available. Obviously, I love them and if you haven't tried them your missing out.

Jolly
Old 01-22-07, 10:42 PM   #5
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i love the mustad ultra points also! they rock! i use the mega bite 3/0 hooks for everything! they are very good,yall should try them!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-07, 03:55 PM   #6
mont_lunker_hunter

I use gammy 3 and 4's. EWG mostly. I disagree with the "bigger the better" theory. I fish solely for double digit fish, but seldom go above a 4 (worm fishing). The smaller wire penetrates better. I have to play the fish more though and use my drag. Just IMO.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.