Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bass Classifieds

Old 09-30-08, 04:50 PM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Wallstreet Mess!!!

I posted here because i am seeing people struggling on our fourm. Fishing or fixing the car. Look i'm not here blaming anybody. Democrat or Republican. Things will get allot worse. I can say one thing. My Employer did'nt get involved in this mess. We just don't make bad loans were just to conservative in our lending. Todays borrowing practices thatz a good thing. The bail out makes me sick. But if somthing ain't done were in real trouble. First it was Gas Prices affecting us as fishermen now Wallstreet. So my question will it slow down how & where you fish. I know with gas prices i stuck close to home. Infact because i stuck closer to home. I fished more than year before. Will this threat change certain things about your fishing lifestyle. I want to here. No politics just the honest truth about how this mess will affect your plans next year.
Old 09-30-08, 05:08 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am sad to say that i think things are gonna get worse for a while moose. as for the fishing for me......well i don't (never have) used the outboard much anyway. i put in and start fishing. i use the troller alot. around here we are running short on gas. had a line at a local station that looked like the 70's. and folks are getting angry about it too. don't go out as often either. really think that things will get better or worse depending on the election. not gonna get into that. gas is gonna go higher i think as well. and it really gonna effect how and what we do in the coming months. just have to wait and see i guess buddy.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 05:23 PM   #3
cassidyta

Well Moose, for me it has put a hold on my buy a boat plans for now.
Old 09-30-08, 06:06 PM   #4
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

For me, it has been a rough year, before all this happened. My wife has been diagnosed with a debilitating illness, and can no longer work. So we went from both of us making 30 Gs a year to just me, and I was basically demoted back to the warehouse due to sales slowing down, so I lost another grand a month just in commissions. To say we are struggling is an understatement, but I am not saying this for pity, or anything else but, to state that even though me and mine have been knocked back a bit, I still believe in this country and I will rebound, and come out on top. Just because I am real tight right now, is not making me panic, just need to reel things back a bit, and go with the flow. I had purchased a few items this spring and summer that I really did not need, but wanted for fishing. I worked side jobs with a friend to pay for the stuff, and those side jobs have dried up. Fishing takes a back seat right now, and I am selling off my extra gear that I do not really need to fish, to take care of extra expenses. But does not mean I won't be out there a couple times a month fishing off the bank.

On a side note, my bosses bought me a plane ticket to go see my family in Washington State vs. giving me a bonus at my review this year. No taxes for either of us that way. I agreed, since that was the only way I was going to get to go out there this year, and see my mom who is 84 this year, and may not have a lot of years left.

Are things tight? You bet! But, it will get better, I am sure of it.
Old 09-30-08, 08:43 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I just had switched my 401K from bonds to stocks about 3 months ago, taking a hit right now for sure. I just now got off the phone with my sister who just retired but is only 58, and she lost 5 grand last night (just one day) of stocks going down..
But as they say ride it out, its a mess out there right now.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-08, 09:52 PM   #6
Jim80

You'd be pressed to find someone that isn't sweating it out right now but that is just the way it goes . I'm working two jobs and it's still tight hopefully everything will level out eventually but only time will tell .

Jim
Old 10-01-08, 09:31 AM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I probably won't do much fishing next year. Especially tournament fishing. I at least for now lost a property with 8 nice ponds on it that I've been fishing for the last 8-10 years. A company bought the property and is working it for wetlands credits. I have to stay out while they do this. That place is where I did most of my fishing and now I'm bummed about it. I'm glad it's deer season soon!!
Old 10-01-08, 09:44 AM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Well Moose, for me it has put a hold on my buy a boat plans for now.
I sold mine because of my third baby. I do miss it some days. But fishing is allot cheaper using my cannoe. I will have it at the get together.
Old 10-01-08, 01:35 PM   #9
jasonfish320

I don't believe in bailing out wallstreet...How is it "our" the people's problem that these financial institution decided to lend to people who were in no-way qualified for loans. Then to make matters worse, these companies paid their senior managers 100's of millions of dollars a year...and now suddenly they realize they can't pay their freakin' bills!! Don't be fooled for a minute, these fat-cats all get huge cash if the company bails, and now they expect the average everyday taxpayer to bail 'em all out....We all need to email, call or write our representatives and tell them to shoot this bailout down...it will take some time but the market will eventually come back....and what if this bailout doesn't work..then what?! This situation reminds me a lot of the war in Iraq...let's make sure we understand the outcome and cost before we make any rash decisions...
Old 10-01-08, 03:08 PM   #10
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
I don't believe in bailing out wallstreet...How is it "our" the people's problem that these financial institution decided to lend to people who were in no-way qualified for loans. Then to make matters worse, these companies paid their senior managers 100's of millions of dollars a year...and now suddenly they realize they can't pay their freakin' bills!! Don't be fooled for a minute, these fat-cats all get huge cash if the company bails, and now they expect the average everyday taxpayer to bail 'em all out....We all need to email, call or write our representatives and tell them to shoot this bailout down...it will take some time but the market will eventually come back....and what if this bailout doesn't work..then what?! This situation reminds me a lot of the war in Iraq...let's make sure we understand the outcome and cost before we make any rash decisions...
As i said this thread was'nt about blame. Now answer the question if it goes through. Will it change your fishing or how far you travel next year. Will it affect your baitmonkey purchases.
Old 10-01-08, 03:15 PM   #11
doc

It will affect everyone one of us in 1 way or another.

If times get tougher it will definatly mean less time on the water for me and less money in my pocket for the baitmonkey to get.

On another note my bank changed cd intrest rates today
a 3 mo cd 1.15%
6 mo cd 1.50%
12-36 mo 2.00%

passbook savings account yields .95 %
and a money market acct 1.75%

would be much safer and have your funds more liquid to just ride it out in a money market account untill this crap stabelises. I know there are beter rates out there, but this is a sign of what is to come. Loan intrest rates are going up here monday, no word yet on how much.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 03:31 PM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
It will affect everyone one of us in 1 way or another.

If times get tougher it will definatly mean less time on the water for me and less money in my pocket for the baitmonkey to get.

On another note my bank changed cd intrest rates today
a 3 mo cd 1.15%
6 mo cd 1.50%
12-36 mo 2.00%

passbook savings account yields .95 %
and a money market acct 1.75%

would be much safer and have your funds more liquid to just ride it out in a money market account untill this crap stabelises. I know there are beter rates out there, but this is a sign of what is to come. Loan intrest rates are going up here monday, no word yet on how much.
As a banker. Let me give you a hint. When CD rates sound to good to be true. That is usually a sign that a bank is in distress. Never purchase the lowest CD. But never purchase the highest either. Your safer in the middle. Banks that are doing that are out to make them selves to look good. When they really ain't
Old 10-01-08, 03:39 PM   #13
doc

<----------------------------Banker Also

Tho I stay more on the IT and data management side.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 05:15 PM   #14
cassidyta

<<<<<<<<<<<<<Acting banker for Friday night family monopoly games.
Old 10-01-08, 05:28 PM   #15
jasonfish320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
As i said this thread was'nt about blame. Now answer the question if it goes through. Will it change your fishing or how far you travel next year. Will it affect your baitmonkey purchases.
We can't answer how it will affect any of us...banks are just starting to pull back their lending. We have 3 banks in this area that are not doing any new auto loans. If this trend continues it will be harder for small businesses to get loans to stay open, the unemployment rate will skyrocket along with the crime rate..which is already beginning to climb. There's no simple way to answer the question...if it causes my company to go out of business..then yes I won't be fishing much at all next year.
Old 10-01-08, 06:24 PM   #16
woody

i think i'll hold off on buying that 52inch flat screen...
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 10:21 PM   #17
flbassman

It's hurtin me, between money I don't have, and time I have to spend working. I'm not hurtin near as bad as the rest of yall, b/c I'm only 17 and I don't have a house to lose, but I just sold my Jonboat so I could pay my insurance due to less hours and higher gas. I can't sell my truck for anywhere near what its worth/what I paid, since the market is flooded with old 4x4s right now, so I'm stuck at 12 MPG........I've been doin more easy fishin, just hittin a pond, or wading. Been keeping more fish too, thats meat the family doesn't have to buy. On a positive note, me and my buddies have had full trucks and boats due to carpooling/boat filling with a gas buy in to save money, so thats been a lot of fun.....It's tough right now, just hope it gets better.
Old 10-02-08, 12:34 PM   #18
lowrider

{{{{---------------- fishes with a banker. he tells me the situation is bleak.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 12:44 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

My fishing is affected because I will be picking up a second job within a couple weeks. Nothing like working 16 hour days 4 days a week and 8 hour days 2 days a week. When you add in church, yard work, keeping the house clean, running the kids around, and Lord knows what else, it doesn't leave a lot of time for fishing. Right now we are trying not to sell the house. That would be a big loss with the market the way it is.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 03:06 PM   #20
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dear Congress,

As you consider the distribution of $700 billion to the very banks and corporations that have gotten our country into the mess we're in now, we ask you to pause for a moment and consider what that money could do for the people who build our country from the ground up… for our schools, healthcare system, our states, cities and towns, alternative energy development, the homeowners who were the pawns of the banking and mortgage industry. As the Board of Directors of Farm Aid, we want to alert you to what a mere $1 billion could do in the hands of the people who grow our food.

American family farmers are the backbone of our economy, the first rung on the economic ladder. For 23 years, we've worked to keep family farmers on the land. But it's not enough just to save family farmers; we have to create new farmers. When farms fail, Main Street businesses fail. The opposite is true too: When farms thrive, Main Street businesses and local communities thrive. Far from Wall Street, family farmers are creating real wealth, producing real value, growing from seeds and sunlight a product that nourishes us both physically and economically. Supporting diverse decentralized family farming will do far more for the stability and vitality of our country than a handful of global agribusiness corporations could ever do.

The proposed $700 billion bailout asks taxpayers to foot the bill without giving them the opportunity to share in any gains. A $1 billion investment in family farm agriculture would enrich us all, because we are all shareholders of the family farm. The return on investment in the family farm includes thriving local economies, nutritious food for better health, a safer and more secure food supply, a cleaner environment and more renewable energy. Investing in local, sustainable and organic food would shorten the distance between eaters and farmers, conserve energy, create economic opportunities and new jobs through innovative processing and distribution systems, resulting in a better, greener, more efficient food and farm economy.

We'll leave the economic details to the experts, but we know from traveling the highways and back roads of this country that trickle down economic policy has not created wealth for the vast majority of Americans. Let's start from the ground up. When we invest in our family farmers, we invest in the revitalization of our country.

Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young and Dave Matthews
Farm Aid Board of Directors
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 04:12 PM   #21
Lilmoosecountry

Yeah well the bailout bill voted on last night contained enough pork to start a grease fire.
Old 10-03-08, 03:29 PM   #22
jasonfish320

This is a great clip about how we got here....

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...the_house.html
Old 10-08-08, 03:14 PM   #23
Lilmoosecountry

Angry

We talk about bad loans. But what about greedy developers who over value property. I'm talking about the persons that makes all there payments. They decide to move. But when they put there home up on the market. Market value does'nt end up reflecting paid price. Many people stay in these homes because there upside down in there payments if they sale. Let me tell you this happens allot in this businiess. As we attack the banks. I here know one attacking greedy developers. Since it's a new market area there is no resale history to reflect loan value other than developer price.
Old 10-08-08, 06:02 PM   #24
Fishnngolfn

What we have here is unfinished properties. Developers came in and cleared acres and acres of land, put in sewer, lights, and streets. Then they started building houses and then stopped. Some of the builders have declared bankruptcy leaving over half the lots unfinished but graded. So neighbors who have purchased houses have to stare at empty dirt lots for who knows how long. The city allowed mass clearing without any definite date of construction completion.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 12:24 AM   #25
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

I will say that this situation affected how I fished starting at the beginning of this year. Last year I fished in 16 or 17 tournaments plus the pre fish and the time spent at the local pond trying new things out. The local pond is looking better by the day. This year, for many reasons I will only fish a total of 8 tournaments. So my fishing has already been cut in half. It is due to the rising fuel cost, lodging and entry fee's that are starting to cut into the pocket a little deeper because of the other cost mentioned above. When we go to tournaments there are always incidental cost associated with the event like food. Whether you bring it or buy it, the cost has gone up.
I picked a great year to start an online lure business!
Unfortunately it is something that we are all stuck with and that most of us had very little to do with creating. I believe that it will get better. Hopefully sooner than later but I don't believe that there is an expert on the face of this earth that can accurately predict when. Politics aside, this is a mess and we need to somehow stop pointing fingers at each other and come up with ways to solve the issues.
bhfishman
_________
www.1stcastfishinglures.com
bhfishman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.