Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-22-11, 02:11 PM   #26
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
I can’t answer for Kevin but I would say yes. Although the reels with the bearing supported pinion greatly enhance the casting there are still other parts that can be super tuned…. It really does matter what make and model reel you are trying to tune. Take the Curado although it has a bearing supported pinion it still has centrificgual brakes so that friction ring is going to be a major factor. Some reels have metal shims and some have plastic or carbon fiber material, but even the non metal shims can benefit from having the spool ends sanded and polished. Like Kevin said a major part of tuning involves giving those friction points a mirror finish. Also as Kevin said different lubes can be part of the tune. For example I gave a friend of mine one of my reels which I tuned just like his went he gave it back he said it had a different crank to it and I didn’t do the same to his. The only difference was I packed my bearing at the end of the crank shaft with grease not oil…… it’s a personal preference….but it makes a difference. So yes those reels you mentioned can benefit from super tuning.
I may have to disagree where the two piece spool shaft designs are concerned. Once the clutch is disengaged the part of the spool shaft that the pinion rides on is completely disengaged from the spool. I'd suspect that gains noticed on these reels are from deep cleaning and proper lube more than anything else, bearing treatments aside.
Old 09-22-11, 02:36 PM   #27
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
I may have to disagree where the two piece spool shaft designs are concerned. Once the clutch is disengaged the part of the spool shaft that the pinion rides on is completely disengaged from the spool. I'd suspect that gains noticed on these reels are from deep cleaning and proper lube more than anything else, bearing treatments aside.

Right but you don’t think it helps polishing the spool ends and the shims (if they are metal)
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 03:29 PM   #28
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

For those who want to get into super tuning, here is a good site showing the ABC's.
As a former tool and die apprentice years ago, I might add that you had better know what you are doing before using abrasive material on a precision surface.
http://jdntackle.home.mindspring.com/index%20page.html
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 08:41 PM   #29
gonefishin3

Has anyone tried "supertuneing" a spinning reel? How do you clean one?
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 10:24 AM   #30
DVT Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Right but you don’t think it helps polishing the spool ends and the shims (if they are metal)
Any benefit from polishing on infini-spool type designs would be minimal at best and not something I'd be comfortable charging for. If a customer complains of noisy casting on a Revo after bearings have been ruled out, I'll VERY LIGHTLY clean up the spool end where it contacts the pinion shaft. If you're not careful you may not have the contact needed when engaged.
Old 09-23-11, 10:36 AM   #31
DVT Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
Has anyone tried "supertuneing" a spinning reel? How do you clean one?
Modern spinning reels can be a real challenge, especially high end reels like a Stella. The basic idea is the same as far as cleaning. Strip to the frame, degrease, lube and reassemble. Dependin on the feel the customer prefers, bearings can be oiled or packed. I like a compromise and use a heavy oil. Gears are greased. The line roller guide should get attention to minimize line twist.

As far as super tuning a spinning reel, you could gain some smoothness. I am experimenting with polishing the main shaft, inside of pinion gear and mating surfaces of oscilating gear. I haven't drawn any definite conclusions about advantages or value for this service.
Old 09-23-11, 01:07 PM   #32
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Any benefit from polishing on infini-spool type designs would be minimal at best and not something I'd be comfortable charging for. If a customer complains of noisy casting on a Revo after bearings have been ruled out, I'll VERY LIGHTLY clean up the spool end where it contacts the pinion shaft. If you're not careful you may not have the contact needed when engaged.
Do you polish the inside of the pinion gear? are you refering to the reels with bearing suported pinions. How do you pack your bearings with grease? i only do the crank shaft bearing......what's your take on this?
Old 09-23-11, 06:47 PM   #33
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

On Daiwa or abu reels with the short shaft spools and pinion shafts, there is no benefit from polishing the inside of the pinion gear. I have some tricks I have learned though to help the ends of the pinion shafts and the inside of the cupped section on revo infinni reels. As for greasing bearings, the best thing i have found is a simple little plunger tool called (the greaser). Fill it with your grease , set the bearing in it and push.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 03:37 PM   #34
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
On Daiwa or abu reels with the short shaft spools and pinion shafts, there is no benefit from polishing the inside of the pinion gear. I have some tricks I have learned though to help the ends of the pinion shafts and the inside of the cupped section on revo infinni reels. As for greasing bearings, the best thing i have found is a simple little plunger tool called (the greaser). Fill it with your grease , set the bearing in it and push.
The greaser is awesome....now i dont mind packing a bearing with grease...should of known you already knew about the greaser.....wonder what those tricks are though?hmmmm

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.