Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-25-11, 08:04 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass pro qualifier?

Okay so i recently bought the bass pro shops pro qualifier it is coming in the mail. I read reviews on it they seem pretty good. Can anyone tell me more about the reel like flaws or your personal review?
Old 09-25-11, 09:22 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well, I have 3 of them now and so far I have not found any flaws. All 3 reels have performed very well and in fact, they seem very similar to my Revos. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just spool on some line and enjoy your new reel. I know your going to be happy with your purchase.
Old 09-25-11, 09:29 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

One of the few $100 reels I have experience with is the Pro Qualifier. I got one lightly used from a member here when I got a crankbait rod but couldn't afford the 4.9:1 Zillion I wanted.

Overall, I have been impressed with the reel for its price so far. It performs on par with many reels that are 50% more expensive. I think if I was low on cash and needed a new reel right away for some reason, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another PQ.

BB
Old 09-25-11, 09:31 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

I have thrown my dads Pro Qualifier quite a bit and I have been very impressed with it. It's extremley smooth and cast very well. He has had it for around a year now and it's still working like a champ.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-11, 09:33 PM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I had one for a short time. It seemed to be a great reel. It would be my first choice if I were looking for a sub $100 reel. You should be very happy with your purchase.
Old 09-25-11, 09:50 PM   #6
Scott the fishman

thanks guys i am going to lake thursday to try it out
Old 09-26-11, 04:49 AM   #7
sharrison
BassFishin.Com Member

I own a few of them and love them.
sharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 06:38 AM   #8
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

What is your experience level with casting reels? Are you aware thet the PQ is a dual brake reel which means that it has an internal centrifugal brake system as well as the external dial? That internal system needs to be set for your skill level and use. If you are very experienced, I would try it with 2 pins on opposite sides set to the on position. If you are kind of new, I would set at least 3 pins equally spaced or 4 pins in a 2 x 2 pattern. Then set the mag dial at zero to set the tension. If it casts fine for you set like that, then just use the mag dial to make very fine adjustments for wind or weight. If you are using the reel for pitching, you may want to rely more on the mag dial for brakes, as it works better for slow spin speeds. The PQ is a fine reel, if yours doesn't perform smooth as silk, send it back. Just like any brand, a few sub par ones slip through and those are usually the ones you hear complaints about.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 08:00 AM   #9
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Own several and I'd put them up against most any reel under $150. They are a great reel for the money.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 03:35 PM   #10
DVT Mike

The PQ is a "Store Brand" I readily recommend. A lot of reel for the money. Use and enjoy your new reel!
Old 09-26-11, 04:01 PM   #11
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
What is your experience level with casting reels? Are you aware thet the PQ is a dual brake reel which means that it has an internal centrifugal brake system as well as the external dial? That internal system needs to be set for your skill level and use. If you are very experienced, I would try it with 2 pins on opposite sides set to the on position. If you are kind of new, I would set at least 3 pins equally spaced or 4 pins in a 2 x 2 pattern. Then set the mag dial at zero to set the tension. If it casts fine for you set like that, then just use the mag dial to make very fine adjustments for wind or weight. If you are using the reel for pitching, you may want to rely more on the mag dial for brakes, as it works better for slow spin speeds. The PQ is a fine reel, if yours doesn't perform smooth as silk, send it back. Just like any brand, a few sub par ones slip through and those are usually the ones you hear complaints about.
I only have one bait casting reel this will be my 2nd one. I will do this as soon as i get my reel. Thanks so much guys can't wait till it comes

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.