Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-04-11, 10:05 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Spincast Reels

I am thinking of bumping my boys' reels up to a little better quality. They are currently using 202s, and they have been decent with cat fishing, but they are getting rough, hang on cast, slip when engaging, and the drag just flat out sucks. I have a few places to take them bass fishing now though and would like to bump them up. Anyone else got some kids, or maybe yourself, using some spincast reels? Shimano doesn't make one, so I will have to stray hahahahaha.
Old 11-04-11, 10:10 PM   #2
Tavery5

Bubba, I have sold allot of the Zebco Omega, and Pflueger Cetina spincast reels, both are about as good as it gets in spincasters. Not too expensive either.
Old 11-04-11, 11:30 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Are they capable of 10-12# test? That was another factor I wanted to throw in there too.
Old 11-05-11, 12:15 AM   #4
Tavery5

Bubba, they come pre-spooled with 10# line. Here is a good review of the reel.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewzebcoomega.html

Last edited by Tavery5; 11-05-11 at 01:21 AM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 09:32 AM   #5
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I used to fish with a guy who used nothing but Johnson Century reels. They were inexpensive and seldom failed. He landed some nice fish with those. Don't know if they're still made or if they're as good as they used to be but they should be worth a looksee.
Old 11-05-11, 11:05 AM   #6
joedog

If your looking for thier first spinning rod and reel at an extremely affordable price yet amazing quality, Shakespeare has a set up called amphibian and I got one each for my grandson and grandaughter Ages 5 and 8. They even won an award at Icast last year for this product. They cast extremely far and easy (always important to kids) and we have had absolutly no troubles at all. Rods are smaller and thinner allowing small hands to get a good comfortable grip. Big problem for kids and rods designed for adults. Pole has fair sensitivity and yes I've fished them and caught fish and it felt better than I anticipated. I won't give you a price because I'm afraid if I do you will wright it off thinking there is no way these poles are any good. Check them out, you will be surprised. Bubba, approximately four more days, I hope! And the postal clerk packaged it. You'll understand when it gets there. And the kids (I quessed right) will be able to try out and practice thier new rods!

Last edited by joedog; 11-05-11 at 11:13 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 12:51 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
I used to fish with a guy who used nothing but Johnson Century reels. They were inexpensive and seldom failed. He landed some nice fish with those. Don't know if they're still made or if they're as good as they used to be but they should be worth a looksee.
I remember how excited I was as a 10 yr old when my father gave me a new shiny green Century for my Bday and said "son you can put away that 33 your ready to move up to this". The thing I remember most was the flat back and the fact than when you were reeling it functioned as no drag direct drive winch but when you stopped reeling the drag kicked in. Very unusual, I loved it.
Old 11-05-11, 01:07 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I remember how excited I was as a 10 yr old when my father gave me a new shiny green Century for my Bday and said "son you can put away that 33 your ready to move up to this". The thing I remember most was the flat back and the fact than when you were reeling it functioned as no drag direct drive winch but when you stopped reeling the drag kicked in. Very unusual, I loved it.

Was that the one that had the drag dial mounted on the top reel in an unusual looking design? Never had a chance to fish one of those reels. But much like you I remember receiving my first quality reel. I was probably around 6 or 7 when my Grandmother gave me a Abu Matic 60 model. I still have the reel today, wish I had taken better care of it, but I do still have it. Sometimes I go to the garage, pick it up and before long, I am that little boy sitting on the bank of a pond with his Grandparents without a care in the world. I don't think I will ever be able to part with my little red time capsule.
Old 11-05-11, 01:52 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Name:  cent.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  8.5 KB I wish I had kept so many things from my childhood that at the time seemed petty but now would be priceless...oh well what you gonna do. This is a file photo but its the exact reel.
Old 11-05-11, 02:36 PM   #10
Tavery5

That is exactly the reel I was thinking of, they were very popular. This is a pic of the reel that my Grandmother give me as a kid, not much to look at now, but I will never let it go.

Old 11-05-11, 02:50 PM   #11
kennethdaysale

Hey T5 how come yall can post a pic that comes out big like that and every time I upload one regardless of where its from it always shows up as the little 3x3 size? Btw there are people that would paint-port and polish a classic memento like that but in some ways I think that would take away some of its value rather than add to it.
Old 11-05-11, 03:16 PM   #12
Tavery5

Kenny if you want to post larger pics you have to use a hosting site like photobucket. You upload the photo there, and just post the link to it here. If you upload a pic to this site it will limit you on size.

As for the reel, I have many times thought about having it redone. But like you already mentioned it seems to mean more to me the way it is now.

I have several old reels from the 30's and 40's and even one or two from the turn of the century, they have all been restored to the best of my ability. But they don't have any real meaning.
Old 11-05-11, 03:31 PM   #13
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bubba, I try not to work on spincast reels for 2 reasons. #1, most are not worth enough for anybody to justify the cost of service, therefore I would have to do them cheap and quick and i don't do that kind of work. #2 most of them are not capable of being completly disasembled. they are held together with rivots etc. The exception to this rule is that I will wrok on Zebco Omega reels. They are the only spincast reel I know of that can be completly disasembled. They are built with quality parts. I have several customers that use them for bass fishing and have no problem reeling in good sized bass with them. Zebco even came out with a low profile Omega last year that sits lower on the reel seat similar to a small casting reel. It's called the Omega Pro. The Omega is not cheap at about 65 bucks, but it is a reel that could last a lifetime.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 03:31 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

I post on another site similar to this one that forces you to enter a URL from photobucket...kind of a hassle, its bad enough just resizing them to fit here. Ps I wouldn't mind taking a look at some hi-res pics of those turn of the century reels one day when you've got some time on your hands.
Old 11-05-11, 04:12 PM   #15
Tavery5

Don't want to hijack the tread to much, but here are a couple of pics I had taken about a year ago of a few reels. Most are from the 30's and 40's, but the one with the single handle is a Southbend model 1131A it has a patent date of Sept 1905, it is in great shape, if it had line on it, you could fish it.

Old 11-05-11, 05:56 PM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Thanks for all the replies. I have 2a 5'6" rods that I hope to build them a rod on soon. I was gongthe to shave the grips down tothe about 3/4" for theirthe smalle hands. But they have plenty of sticks they can used to until then.
Old 11-06-11, 11:14 AM   #17
islandbass

Bubba,

How old are they? If they're at least five, they will be capable of using spinning gear. My daughter was at 5 and learned a bc reel at six.

My youngest likes his Zebco 33. If I am not mistaken it is capable of using 10# test, no prob.
Old 11-06-11, 11:38 AM   #18
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm going to put a vote in for the Diawa Goldcast series spincast reels. Metal construction, higher gear ratio, strong dependable drag, and an oscillating spool for level wind capabilty. My wife and brother have both used one for years now and they still function like new.
Old 11-06-11, 01:34 PM   #19
ted48
BassFishin.Com Member

When I was 14 we moved from the city to a 13 1/2 acre mini farm. Had 2 farm ponds. Started with a Zebco 66, then a 33 and at about age 20 a Zebco 1. Then a few years later went into baitcasters. Dont have those original reels but have since purchased all of those off e-bay.
ted48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 03:18 AM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

IB, I tried them on a spinning reel, and they seem to have my vertical casting approach versus horizontal.

I did decide to go with the Omega 3 series. My wife must have been spending some time in there too that I don't know about. When we checked out, I said I forgot my points card on my key ring. She said, oh, well use mine and we got $27 off. So there is no telling what she has been buying in there. I am coming to realize that I am not the only one that lives by tis easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Bad thing is, I am about observant as a slug and I never notice changes.
Old 11-08-11, 03:38 AM   #21
islandbass

That's pretty cool BB. That's pretty neat about the $27.00. The difference between husband and wife in that kind of case, is that the wife can never be sent to the couch or the dog house. You will find that clause in the fine print of your marriage license.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.