Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-06-05, 06:29 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default casting seat

i have a swivel ease power seat with a adjustable casting seat. topped by a stratos bike seat. the power seat adjust from 19" to 33" here is the problem. i can not remove the seat base from the seat pole. even with the screw/wing bolt backed all the way out. i just dragged my brother around the yard trying to pull it loose. it is about 3 years old. could it be rusted togather ?? has any one had this problem before? i would hate to have to buy a new pole and seat base-seat is way more but i can unscrew that..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 06:46 PM   #2
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default Re: casting seat

is it screw or pull out? if its pull out try using grease or something along those lines and just pour grease were the seat goes into the pole. see if that works.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 11:04 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

ZOOKER,
Â* Â* Can you pour a little Liquid Wrench down beside the pole and see if it runs into the threads? If not, you might see if you can get to the underside of the seat base thru one of the storage lockers. If you can do that, then maybe you could put a bolt up thru the bottom of the seat base and tap it with a hammer to loosen the rusted threads. A third suggestions is to wrap the seat post with a couple layers of rags and put a pipe wrench on the seat post and apply pressure, then have someone put a 2X4 on top of the seat post (with the seat removed) and tap the post with a hammer while you put pressure on the pipe wrench.(be careful about the pressure or you could collapse the walls of the seat post..

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 12:44 AM   #4
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

jackl it is not the lower end were it goes in to the boat it is were the seat goes into the pole it is smooth has a bolt that holds the seat mount to the pole i removed this bolt and it still wont come out for nothing

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:07 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Get a BIGGER HAMMER Actually I would stand on the base, and get a piece of wood, and put it under the seat, and tap it with the hammer upwards. There is a spray they make(Break Free rings a bell, but not sure, or Liquid Wrench like JackL said) that will help loosen it up, if it can reach the spot. Can the seat be unbolted from the seat base. If so another option is to get a torch(after removing seat) and heat the seat base only, perhaps it will expand enough to get it loose from the bottom base. However don't do this right after spraying anything on it, or you could get burned. :'(

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 02:29 AM   #6
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I wouldn't heat it. Shoot it with some liquid wrench or WD-40 and let it set for a day or two. Then wack it with a hammer.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 03:50 PM   #7
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

As a mechanic , I would have to say. Use "PB Blaster".spray it on and heat the area "lightly"with a propane torch and spray once more and allow to cool.It should just slip apart.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 08:11 PM   #8
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

If both parts are aluminum you may never get it apart.
I have seen stuff sieze so tight by the time you break it loose you might as well have tossed it.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 09:31 PM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

What Lizards said. A 2x4 and a hammer can work wonders.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-05, 12:57 AM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Gotta go with the PB blaster and light heat. I used to work on firetrucks in my old volunteer dept. That stuff has saved my a$$ multiple times. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.