Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 04-28-13, 09:07 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Now I gotta buy...

A new computer as my laptop's hard drive died. Getting by with my Kindle Fire this morning and hopefully I'll be back with a working laptop this evening. I hate when this happens. At the price of repair, I'd just rather buy a new one. I guess this means I will have to adjust to Windows 8 or whatever is the current system. I hadn't moved beyond 7 as I was comfortable with that.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 04-28-13 at 09:14 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-13, 09:51 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good luck with your new laptop. We just purchased a new tower from HP and are very happy with it. But it came with Windows 8 which nearly all comps do now. I don't like it! Still have yet to figure everything out after having it a month. Simple things like disc cleanup and defrag I still cannot find.

I'd stay away from Dell. I've heard nothing but bad about them lately. In fact, a friend of my wife who she works with purchased a Dell comp about a year ago. When trying to get it fixed under warranty, it was denied. Dell told her that their warranty starts from the date the computer is made. Not from the date you purchase it.
Old 04-28-13, 09:58 AM   #3
bamabassman

i feel ya bruce...mine is starting to get REALLY bad. i had mine overhauled a few years ago. gonna save up some money and have it done agian. cheaper than buying anew one here. really about half the price i htink.
Old 04-28-13, 11:15 AM   #4
bassboogieman

This was an HP and it was ok. I'd had a couple HP units, and a DELL which really didn't impress me for what it cost. I don't need anything too fancy something in mid-range should do me fine.
Old 04-28-13, 03:43 PM   #5
bassboogieman

Well I'm home with a new HP laptop. A Pavilion g7 with Windows 8. Should do everything I need to do, it will just require me getting used to Windows 8 system. So I am playing right now. Almost forgot, I took my wife with me, she's HATES me having something newer than she does, so she bought one also. Her laptop was a couple years older than mine, so what the heck, I LET HER GET ONE - yeah, right. LOL
Old 04-28-13, 07:45 PM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Well I'm home with a new HP laptop. A Pavilion g7 with Windows 8. Should do everything I need to do, it will just require me getting used to Windows 8 system. So I am playing right now. Almost forgot, I took my wife with me, she's HATES me having something newer than she does, so she bought one also. Her laptop was a couple years older than mine, so what the heck, I LET HER GET ONE - yeah, right. LOL
Glad to hear you found a laptop you like. Getting one for the wife...good move! haha Keeps you both happy! Let me know what you think about Windows 8.
Old 04-29-13, 07:29 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

A simple hard drive swap shouldn't warrant a new computer unless the repair place is charging you way too much. Which most do. A new mid capacity HD should run $60-75 or so. It's a very easy do it yourself swap as well.

Depending on the type of hard drive failure, recovery may or may not be easy. When mine failed (not mechanical), I was able to recover all my files, pictures, etc. with some free software, a working computer, and a $20 SATA to USB adapter.

I guess it doesn't matter too much now that you've got a new computer lol. I'm hesitant about a new laptop myself as I don't want to go Windows 8...

BB
Old 04-29-13, 08:21 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Widows 8 doesn't look so bad. I did two previous recoveries and I'm going to be better off with a new faster unit. Look for me to test my GO PRO by making a video of me killing the old laptop with my P345, or it might be more fun with the Judge an various loads.
Old 04-29-13, 09:12 PM   #9
bamabassman

bruce, mine is a GATEWAY. old one at that. i'm just gonna save up till i can get it rebuit again. but glad oyu got anew one pal. i run vista on mine as well. so i don't know ANYTING aobut windows...ANY of them,lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.