Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-10, 01:03 PM   #1
cjo4x4

Default 89 Bass Tracker Pro 17... Q & A

So i just bought my first boat. A Bass Tracker pro 17 1989. I have had a great time restoring it for the past week. I only have three questions that I am hoping someone can help me with.

1. (In the picture) what is this wire i am holding and where does it go? It has a 5 pin connector on it.

2. On the throttle and up near the front (on a small panel) there are tilt/trim buttons. They are not working. Since they are there...This would prob mean that the boat is equipped with tilt/trim...RIGHT? I mean i have looked for a small motor around the (what looks to be) hydraulic arm on the transom but couldnt find one. Keep in mind i dont really know what im looking for either.

3. How do you fill the livewells? Do they just fill up up if you take the plug out? Stupid question I Know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0365.jpg
Views:	4988
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	6034  
Old 12-05-10, 01:07 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a 1999 Tracker , and mine too has the tilt/trim at the throttle , however , mine is not equipped with power tilt/trim. My livewell fills with a pump , there is a switch by the steering wheel. And , I have no clue what that connector would be unless someone had some sort of fishfinder mounted back there at some point.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 03:47 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

As a non boat owner, I can't help you out here, but I can tell you, all questions, stupid or not, get answered around here
Welcome to the place to be
Old 12-05-10, 05:15 PM   #4
bamabassman

FIRST and FORMOST..........WELCOME TO THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB FRIEND!!! As mallen as stated before, there are NO stupid questions. Just sometimes someone may give a stupid or smart arse answer. Most of the time it is all in fun though, roll with it ok?

Now........as to that plug you are holding........ gots no idea pal,lol. Maybe it is like cmorg said, a previous owner had some sort of fish finder before? Be patient though, there will be someone with greater knowledge than us that will be able to help you more.

And please, post more pictures of the rig. We LOVE seeing folks that restore their boats. Ask for help and tell us your findings on what you have learned to do and NOT to do in the process of restoring a boat. You won't believe the responses you will recieve.

Again, welcome buddy. Kick off yer shoes, loosen the belt a bit and have fun with us.
Old 12-05-10, 05:39 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I doubt a 40HP would have a power tilt/trim, I could certainly be wrong but I don't see it as a real advantage on a 17' boat powered by a 40HP. The 5 pin connector does look like it's for a sonar, have you tried tracing it to it's source? Livewell will fill with a pump, the plug is for draining only - after you pull the boat out of the water. Be sure the plug is in the livewell when you're on the water, even if not using them, as water can back up into the well. Welcome to the world of boat ownership - it will want every spare dollar in your pocket. LOL.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 05:54 PM   #6
cjo4x4

First off God bless you all for taking the time to answer some questions for others.

After doing some more research.. I found that my motor has a tilt assist on it that was malfunctioning. I have ordered a new cable and hope to get it all fixed up soon. As for that darn 5 pin connector. I think it is PRE wired for power tilt and trim. the wires associated with it are... RED, BLUE, GREEN, BLACK, and BROWN. I haven't traced it down yet because it goes into an opening to the left of the motor (refer to picture) that i cant find a way to get into to make it easy enough to trace it.

What is the easiest way to find out how well your water pump is working? I have a good flow of water coming out of the "pee hole". So i guess, being that I dont have a reference to how fast it is supposed to be coming out.

KEEP YOUR LINES TIGHT
Old 12-09-10, 07:02 PM   #7
lilmule

Well if it has tiltntrim its located on the motor itself not transom,single piston arm just behind mounting bracket.And if so eq its operated electrically via solenoid and that tilt and trim sw,if not so eq would do nothing as hooked to nothing.
Same shifter is in all they dont take off the buttons,and generally wired from that switch or button dierectly to the motor,that 5 pin wire is most likly from an old depth finder no longer with us in this life.Most motors have a tilt bracket or assist genrally not cable wired manally put in place prior to towing.
40 hp few would have tilt and trim,its general hole postion is what deterimes angle of motor and trim wouldnt mean 2 mph,given the hp.
As far as water pump yes pea flow but about every two years replace regardless,and if unknown when it was replaced other wise wrong end of a trip away from the dock or help it goes out.So replace it if unknown not that expensive,have a shop do it cost is about 60 bucks all told or less,depending somewhat upon locale.
There is a difference beteen tilt and tilt and trim only one is done under power with that tilt/trim button if so eq,not impossible but most unlikly its so eq.And far as I know no cable has anything to do with actual tilt and trim.Possibly a fancy way of putting the motor on its tilt bracket from the drivers seat,when shallow,and not running..
They are kind of a pattern boat,many use them with whatever hp comes with it many upgrade to max hp and have tilt and trim,itin place so just hooked up electrically,via the motor connector normally or a seperate set of wires all coming from the motor,off the frame like an older omc.So regardless if your motor has it boat is so eq in case you do get one.

Last edited by lilmule; 12-09-10 at 07:18 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 09:00 PM   #8
66KingFisher

In the for what its worth dept....We purchased a 2010 Basstracker Pro16 earlier this year with a 30hp Merc, that came standard with tilt-n-trim......it really does make a fair amount of difference in the way the boat planes out and rides, although I doubt it makes alot of difference in speed...some I'm sure, but your still only lookin at 27-28mph tops for that boat loaded with fuel, tackle and a couple of well fed anglers....lol....I hope you have as much fun with yours and we've had this year....great little boats.
Old 12-11-10, 01:42 AM   #9
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

replace water pump regardless... you will understand if you ever have one go out. its a long way back by trolling motor
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 09:30 AM   #10
bamabassman

i aree with replacing the water pump, also (unless this is the same thin, i ain't a mechanic), replace the IMPELLER AND PUMP.
Old 12-11-10, 04:38 PM   #11
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you mean impeller and housing. just get the whole kit with seals and gaskets also. no use doin it again later for a bad seal. i always put new lower unit seals in too or at least check them
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 08:28 AM   #12
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

that 5 pin plug is for the trim/tilt i had a tracker 1988 f/s1800 it wires both the front and the back together so both switches work on 1 plug instead of 2 on that boat the pump for the trim/tilt might not be on the back of the boat mine was on the inside next to the live well, as for the live well pump/bilge they both will be on the bottom of boat in that little narrow in middle of boat at the back not sure if yours is equipped with a side by side live well or 1 big 1 but the switch for mine was to the right of the steering wheel on the side where you would rest your rt arm mine had a panel with 6 switches on it 2 for lights 1 for acc 1 bilge and 2 for live well. use the plug for the live wells when you put it in and then the switch to fill it, pumps could be bad wouldn't hurt to replace hope this helps
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 10:27 PM   #13
FishinPreacher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 93 Bass Tracker

I have a 93 Bass Tracker that I am also working on restoring. Is there any truth to there being a pump for the tilt/trim located inside the boat somewhere? I have the switches mentioned both in front next to the trolling motor plug-in and the traditional switch on the throttle lever. I have been raising and lowering the motor manually with a small lever. It appears to be hydraulically assisted.

Blessings,

The Fishin' Preacher
FishinPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 10:43 AM   #14
cjo4x4
BassFishin.Com Member

. you have a manual hydraulic. As far as i can tell you have the same set up as me. Bass tracker prewires for TnT. You probably have the same cable as the one pictured in the first post to this thread. If you ever do switch to TnT then you are ready.

Now Someone has said that they had a Bass tracker and their TnT pump was located right behind their livewell. I have never heard of this but.. Hey... I learn new things all the time
cjo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 11:26 PM   #15
FishinPreacher
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks! Is there any advantage to changing the position once on the water? Other than when entering shallow water and when trailering....What year is your Tracker?
FishinPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 12:20 AM   #16
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinPreacher View Post
Thanks! Is there any advantage to changing the position once on the water?
Yes, the trim of the motor greatly changes how the boat performs. You'll get the best performance, speed, and handling in the "sweet spot," a certain point in the trim range where everything feels right. Take the boat out and play with it. You'll have the best hole shot (which means getting from a standstill to up on plane, hydroplaning across the water's surface) with the motor all the way down, but to get the best speed and handling you'll need to have the trim higher. If you can't adjust the trim while running the boat, you'll need to find a happy medium between holeshot and on-plane performance.
Old 06-02-11, 01:18 PM   #17
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My old 15' Stott Craft had the tilt/trim pump located in the rear compartment next to the fuel tank. Mariner 150hp. It was a mid 80's boat and motor though. A friend of mine has a mid 90's Tracker with 40 hp Merc on it. I've driven his boat a few times and with the two of us and a full tank of fuel there seemed to be no difference in speed or handling. He has the Pro Tracker 175,
I think it's called. If it makes a difference to you get it fixed, it's nice to tilt the motor up when you're fishing in real shallow water.
Good luck with it. My friend loves his.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 12:16 PM   #18
Fish1525
BassFishin.Com Member

cjo4x4
The 5 pin connector goes to a control box in battery compartment and the continues to Tilt/Trim control switches, one in throttle, one at trolling motor on bow and a stern mount switch.

good luck I'm working on restoring an "88" tracker.
Fish1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 08:24 AM   #19
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fix It

You'll not be sorry. It's worth every penny to have it functioning. Next thing. Power Pole. Got a friend that has 1 on his Tracker.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.