Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-18-09, 11:04 AM   #1
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Best Worms For Wacky Rigging?

Looking for recommendations for good worms to rig wacky style. I have been using 5.25" Senkos with some success, but looking for other ideas as well. I am fishing in stained/muddy water about 4-6 ft deep. Already putting rattles in the senkos, but thinking that a bulkier bait that moves more water may be a good idea.
Any suggestions?
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 01:19 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do a ton of my fishing with a wacky-rigged 7" Yamasenkos. The water clarity in the lake I do almost all of my fishing on was 16 feet in the 2007 survey. I throw them in depths from 10' and less. I know some people don't like them because they rip/tear/break pretty easily, but I feel like I catch more fish with them than a couple other brands I've tried. I've had such good luck with these that I'd highly recommend them, although you will go through a lot of them if you're catching fish.

P.S. - Last time out I had my boat in 5'-6' of water and was casting up into a reed-filled shoreline. I'd guess the water was only 2'-3' feet (at most) where I pulled two LM from -- one of them @ 4lb 7oz.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 08:55 AM   #3
aikenyounggun

for pond fishing throw zoom finesse worms, they are a lot smaller and i catch a lot more fish on them than i do on senkos
Old 09-20-09, 11:33 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I love wacky rigs! They seem to catch good numbers for fish for me all the time, it's can be a super finessey technique, or a pretty powery technique, depending on the worms you use. Most of the time, I use speed worms, or robo worms, but I catch better fish on the speed worms for sure! Also hardly ever catch many on a wacky rig senko, though, they are bigger fish then I do. But one thing I do like to do some times, is take a Mann's jelly worm, the big 9" ones. I cut the paddle tail off though! I've caught some really good fish like that! But, not too many under 2lbs! One thing you have to do with these to let them them take it real good, sometimes it takes a lot longer for them to eat a longer worm! One thing that is a must when you do it with the big worms is a circle hook. that way you always hook them in the corner of the mouth, no mater how long they take it as long as they don't swallow the hook to deep. Make sure to remember NOT to set the hook hard with a circle hook. You only have you reel, and put pressure on them! If you've got a good sharp hook, than you'll hook them almost every time. I use circle hooks not mater the size of the worm most of the time! I fish them in water less than 10', like waterboy does too. I like to fish them around hydrilla, or in pads, I use a weedless hook in the pads though. You can't really get away with using anything other those in thick cover!

Last edited by Bassboss; 09-20-09 at 11:39 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 12:39 PM   #5
Cavs1123

i use bass pro stick-o's
Old 09-20-09, 09:37 PM   #6
MIbasser

You can't go wrong with the standard yamamoto senkos. They work great and all I use for wacky rig. They have the best action when they fall due to the weight of the bait. I don't do anything special to them here in MI. I use a 2/0 worm hook for better hook sets and you can really pound the hook home. You only need two colors - watermelon w/red flake and watermelon with black flake (Lake Lansing killer).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 02:23 PM   #7
DaveW731

Default Hi MIbasser!

Nice to hear from a neighbor and I agree about your Lake Lansing/Senko connection, although I have used different colors and always fished them T-rigged there because of the weeds.
I tried a metal-flake Senko wacky rigged this weekend, but the metal flake seemed to make the bait stiffer and heavier. I have a few watermellon w/black flakes, but haven't tried the red flake/blue flake varieties.
Also glad to hear about using circle hooks. Always been a bit leery of them, but willing to give them a try. Got one more significant outing planned for the year, so we will see what happens.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 11:39 AM   #8
Jrob78

You might try the Zoom Magnum Trick Worms, they are a pretty long, bulky worm. I know the regular Trick Worms work great wacky rigged.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 11:22 PM   #9
BeaverIslander

Zoom Trick Worms!
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 06:18 AM   #10
muddy

Alluring Salty Trick Sticks in 4 or 5 inch
French Fries in 4 inch
Creme Scoundral
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:57 PM   #11
Backwater Charlie

Senko's are the bulkiest worms you can get, however, you could up your worm to a 6" or even 7" Senko.
Old 12-18-09, 08:42 AM   #12
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds crazy but I ran out of name brand senkos in a tourny once and had a few bps brand ones left and I actually like them more never gave them a shot until then but they worked wonders and are very cheap. In spring classic you can get like 3 bags for 10 and they have like 20 worms per bag.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 09:16 AM   #13
Mac2

Zoom Speedworm in Watermelon/Red minus the tail.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 12:12 PM   #14
Bender

I think the worm doesn't make quite as much difference as long as it has action. The less expensive stick worms are just too hard and don't "wiggle" in the water when they fall.

As far as hooks, the Owner Wacky Hooks have been my go to hooks. They have the advantage of a circle hook but also you can hit them pretty hard. I lost only a couple fish all year with these. At lunch after a tournament last summer a bunch of us went to Applebees and the wacky hook discussion came up. Turns out that most of the guys at the table use this hook too since it is so reliable. A lot of the time the bass hits on slack line so a good hook is really important. I prefer the weedless ones.

Another thing I learned this summer was casting precision and presentation with the wacky rig. I read recently (here or in a magazine, can't remember) that this is one of the biggest differences between pros and people like me. The author said if a truck drives down your street and throws a steak at your house and it lands on the doorstep in the dirt you probably wouldn't eat it. If a waiter gently puts your steak on the table in front of you you probably would eat it. Hitting every little target on a dock, weed line, or patch of pads was something that I really worked hard to do this year and I think it paid off but I have a long way to go.*

*wish I could remember the author to give him credit for that analogy
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 01:20 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I love wacky rigs! They seem to catch good numbers for fish for me all the time, it's can be a super finessey technique, or a pretty powery technique, depending on the worms you use. Most of the time, I use speed worms, or robo worms, but I catch better fish on the speed worms for sure! Also hardly ever catch many on a wacky rig senko, though, they are bigger fish then I do. But one thing I do like to do some times, is take a Mann's jelly worm, the big 9" ones. I cut the paddle tail off though! I've caught some really good fish like that! But, not too many under 2lbs! One thing you have to do with these to let them them take it real good, sometimes it takes a lot longer for them to eat a longer worm! One thing that is a must when you do it with the big worms is a circle hook. that way you always hook them in the corner of the mouth, no mater how long they take it as long as they don't swallow the hook to deep. Make sure to remember NOT to set the hook hard with a circle hook. You only have you reel, and put pressure on them! If you've got a good sharp hook, than you'll hook them almost every time. I use circle hooks not mater the size of the worm most of the time! I fish them in water less than 10', like waterboy does too. I like to fish them around hydrilla, or in pads, I use a weedless hook in the pads though. You can't really get away with using anything other those in thick cover!
Sorry, I got the speed worm and trick worms mixed up!

Replace the speed worm, with trick worm.
Old 12-27-09, 01:48 AM   #16
Reel Deal
BassFishin.Com Member

Try the Wacko from wackyworm.com, I think you will like them. Sizes from 3 to 6.5" and too many colors.
Reel Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 09:59 AM   #17
Bassboss

I was watching an FLW tourney at lake toho, and one was catching some good fish on gambler sweebo worms, check 'em out.
Old 12-27-09, 11:28 AM   #18
bassinbob

I have had good results with Case magic stix.
Old 12-27-09, 09:31 PM   #19
danielbasspro

Strike King Zeros, Strike king shim e stick, yamamoto senko, and our local bait shops bitters bait and tackle Salty Sling
Old 12-27-09, 10:25 PM   #20
BassBandit

I use Yum Dinger. Has more quanity and inexpensive than GY's senko. Both ends has wiggle action to it unlike other brands.

Few samples,

Senko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKHfgZr_-Us

Dinger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzePAU2sdvU

Wave Worm Tiki Stick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7E2BRfcQUU

Lake Fork Ring Fry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXtWLrDY7sg
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 10:03 AM   #21
crankybait

I use hippie stix from bearpaws, theyre real nice. although senkos work too, they're terribly expensive and i buy in bulk. Try using an O ring when you rig, saves some usage in your senkos or whatever you want to wacky rig. Zoom speed worms with the tail cut off also work wonderfully. real slow fall, the fish love it
Old 01-08-10, 06:33 PM   #22
Hugo_Hogz
BassFishin.Com Member

5" Senkos or Dingers... Gamakatsu wide gap finesse weedless 2/0 hook. Love this for pitching to docks or weed lines.
Hugo_Hogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 03:55 AM   #23
Garry2rs

IMO any soft worm will do for wacky. It's the first thing I show beginners...grin.
I buy generic senko type worms that are sold locally.
The crayfish in my lakes are tan with orange on the claws etc. baby SMB are tan/brown, so anything light brown with a touch of red or copper flake is good. I also like watermelon and baby bass...match the hatch...grin.
I normally just use my regular 3/0 EWG hooks, unless I'm worried about snagging. Around weedbeds etc I sometimes use a red 1/0 or 2/0 Mustad weedless hook. They are cheap, readily available in my area and work well.
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.