Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-11, 07:39 PM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Deep Cranks

I know deep is a relative term, so let me be clear, I am talking the deepest cranks, Norman DD22, SK 6XD and Rapala DT20. As of late seems like the best bite I can find is coming on the deepest cranks I have in the box, worked with the bill digging into the bottom. I have had the best luck on the Norman DD22. I am wondering if any of you use a different brand of deep diving crank that I should take a look at? Look forward to your recommendations.
Old 10-20-11, 07:44 PM   #2
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

how deep are you fishing with those cranks?
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 07:54 PM   #3
Tavery5

I believe I am able to reach about 18ft cranking. The water I am fishing them in varies in depth between 15 and 25 feet.
Old 10-20-11, 08:38 PM   #4
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The biggest, deepest running Bomber Fat Free Shad has done well for me. I'm looking forward to trying the Spro Little John DD also but haven't tried one yet.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 08:49 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
The biggest, deepest running Bomber Fat Free Shad has done well for me. I'm looking forward to trying the Spro Little John DD also but haven't tried one yet.

I have a few of the FF shad in the Sexy Shad type shades, they have not produced that well on this particular body of water. I did just order a couple of the Little John DD, anxious to get an opportunity to try them.

On a side note, this small lake just experienced a turn over, so the water is oxygenated top to bottom, and the fish are hard to pattern. I have had luck with the deep cranks, I think allot to do with the amount of water I can cover with them, and I believe some of the fish are on the bottom of the deepwater relating to the green cover that is still available. Anyway, these conditions have made it tough fishing but very educational.
Old 10-20-11, 09:54 PM   #6
rrw4258

My favorite of the deep crankbaits that I throw on Erie are the Spro Little John DD, Rapala DT-20, and the Strike King 6XD.

The Little John DD pulls pretty hard, but I am able to get it to hit bottom in 18 FOW with 14lb. Sunline Sniper Fluorocarbon.

The DT-20 I can hit bottom with in 19-20 FOW with 14 lb. FC.

The SK 6XD is probably my favorite of the deep divers. I can hit bottom in 19 -20 FOW with the 14lb. FC.

Ryan
Old 10-20-11, 10:08 PM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
My favorite of the deep crankbaits that I throw on Erie are the Spro Little John DD, Rapala DT-20, and the Strike King 6XD.

The Little John DD pulls pretty hard, but I am able to get it to hit bottom in 18 FOW with 14lb. Sunline Sniper Fluorocarbon.

The DT-20 I can hit bottom with in 19-20 FOW with 14 lb. FC.

The SK 6XD is probably my favorite of the deep divers. I can hit bottom in 19 -20 FOW with the 14lb. FC.

Ryan
Ryan if you mixed a Norman into the group sounds like we are throwing the same baits. Which of these baits do you feel casts the best?
Old 10-21-11, 05:59 AM   #8
rrw4258

I think the Little John DD throws the best out of the bunch. With that tungsten weight transfer system in it, it will throw a mile. The SK is probably next in line, with the Rapala DT-20 bringing up the rear of the field.

That is not all I use in deep crankbaits, but in that range of deep it is. In the 10-16 foot range, I throw the Norman Deep Litte N, DT-10, SK 5 and 5XD (which is probably my favorite crankbait), DT-14, DT-16, and the new one that I am wanting to try out is the IMA beast hunter. From when the Bassmaster Open was up here on Erie last month, there was alot of guys throwing it, and doing very well on it.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ima_B...html#multiview

Ryan
Old 10-21-11, 10:54 AM   #9
Jrob78

I can't really add anything, I don't fish deep cranks much. I did see that The Hook Up has some RC XD cranks on sale, might be worth adding to the mix.

http://www.thehookuptackle.com/produ... XD Crankbaits
Old 10-21-11, 06:36 PM   #10
Crankbait

This might come off as crazy but as you may know I throw braid all the time. I don’t know what type of cover you encounter when you’re deep cranking but I’m throwing on 6to10 lb performance braid……hear me out. Some many guys throw the same lure for deep cranking the Norman and DT series….I wanted to throw something different. I actually throw a Rapala CRR10 (which runs 9’-10’) and the CRR14 (which runs 13’14’) they are both 2 ½ “ so they’re a little smaller than Norman and DT20 but they cast well! The CRR10 I can get down to 15+ on a good cast and the CRR14 I’m running 19-20’. I’m bringing this up because I like the different profile and size of the crank. I have actually caught fish when I moved in on a spot after other anglers and they caught none. Even if you went with your Cranks you’re using I could only imagine you’d get some deep results on 10lb braid….even if you had to run a fluorocarbon leader due to water clarity. Myself I’m waiting on two rod’s (whose handles are being extended ) so I can throw some DT20 comfortably I want a long handle so I can fish like this…….check out this video 3:45 into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpCt5rvM7g Anyway just some input…..love crankin
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 07:50 PM   #11
Tavery5

Sorry Crankbait, I will not throw crankbaits on braid, It's a little too much like kissing your sister to me, the negatives out weight the positives in my opinion. I am not having any problems getting my baits deep enough, just wondered what others were throwing in the way of deep cranks. Not sayin it aint happening but 4 to 5 ft deeper than the bait is rated on any line is difficult for me buy into, it is difficult in most cases to crank the bait just to its rated depth with good FC line.
Old 10-21-11, 08:54 PM   #12
Crankbait

Tavery
Yeah I didn’t expect you to switch over. I was kind of surprised at how deep it ran but you know how thin 6lb test is!
Old 10-21-11, 09:01 PM   #13
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You can definitely bomb those Little John DDs. But you need a powerful crankbait rod.

I really wanted to get into deep cranking this year, but never got the chance being shore bound almost all year. But I fished some this spring in Alabama and ended up fishing the Strike King Series 5 and a DD22. The LJ DD dove too deep for where we were fishing.

BB
Old 10-21-11, 09:42 PM   #14
bamabassman

got some deep cranks in my travel box now. going to down to mississippiboys next weekend and see waht we can "dig" up.
Old 10-22-11, 07:47 AM   #15
Dogmatic

I was under the assumption that using FC line I could get a couple more feet out of my crankbaits, is this not true? I use SK 6XDs, Norman's DDs, and Rapala DTs, and usually never have any problems hitting my structure between 15'-20'.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 09:11 AM   #16
bamabassman

dog..it's true. although i do not use flourocarbon line. it is true oyu can go deeper with it. i rarely use deep diving cranks myself so that is the reason i don't use it.
Old 10-22-11, 09:54 AM   #17
joedog

Heres a crazy question. How do you guys know how deep a lure runs unless its hitting bottom and you know the exact depth of the whole pattern your fishing? Or are you assuming or quessing? Where I fish a cast like the one in Cranks video you would cover water from 20ft. all the way up to 6ft. in one single cast and retrieve.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 02:12 PM   #18
OkobojiEagle

Lip-less cranks worked slowly along bottom will cover deep clean bottoms.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 02:40 PM   #19
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Heres a crazy question. How do you guys know how deep a lure runs unless its hitting bottom and you know the exact depth of the whole pattern your fishing? Or are you assuming or quessing? Where I fish a cast like the one in Cranks video you would cover water from 20ft. all the way up to 6ft. in one single cast and retrieve.
Joedog
I have a flat that I test my cranks on. I use two marker buoys to show where a depth change occurs. That’s just how I do it
Old 10-24-11, 07:05 AM   #20
Dogmatic

@joedog, I know the depth, and run the lure into the bottom, Knowing how deep the lure is suppose to dive, the line I'm using, the depth of the water or structure, and a typical cast, I can pretty much "assume" at what depth my lure is running at any given moment, and know exactly, when it hits bottom. If it doesn't hit bottom, or the structure I'm fishing, then I switch lures until it does.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 08:28 PM   #21
joedog

Thanks guys!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 09:32 PM   #22
lilmule

I dont like dredging,however when forced to succumb to the ledge bite its a manns 30+(old homer),toss on 12lb mono.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-24-11 at 09:52 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11, 11:02 PM   #23
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
I was under the assumption that using FC line I could get a couple more feet out of my crankbaits, is this not true? I use SK 6XDs, Norman's DDs, and Rapala DTs, and usually never have any problems hitting my structure between 15'-20'.

Typically baits always run slightly less deep than they are rated, in other words a DT 16 when thrown on a 12lb mono or co-poly line is going to run somewhere between 13 and 14 feet. When they speak of getting an extra foot by using FC, they are usually refering to be able to get the bait 1 foot closer to its rated depth (because of FC being a sinking line). Very few crankbaits will reach their rated depth when cranking them on a reel. They will get very close if you are trolling them.
Old 10-24-11, 11:24 PM   #24
Bender

Nobody uses the Luhr-Jensen Hot Lips? That is one bait that I actually don't have any of. I need to get some... I did have a couple Radar 13s but I don't know where they went.

Regarding the depth, I've always heard that most baits are rated using 10# mono. I'm not sure if that is true or not. Here's a neat but old chart: http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/...DepthChart.pdf
I also have the Rapala book that shows diving depths of casting vs. trolling and it has similar results in that trolling gets baits a lot deeper.

While fishing the deep lakes of New York I was always looking for the deepest diving jerkbait and the Rapala Down Deep Husky Jerk 12 was the deepest I could find, but it is a bear to cast far since it is light.

I haven't fished too many lakes where I could crank deep this year. The times I did I had the best luck with the Strike King 6XDs though. I do throw the Series 5s quite a bit, but I don't consider that too deep of a diver. I only tried the Little John DDs a couple of times but they went too deep for where I was throwing them and just dug mud. I did also try some Lucky Craft Flat deep divers and found the two I used to run horribly. I got them tuned in but they still didn't catch anything.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-11, 09:52 AM   #25
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

luky craft cbd20 is the best it gets down faster than most casts like a bullet and really works well. I deep crank a ton and that is the one that I grab first. 10lb fluro kneeling and reeling.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.