Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-14-14, 07:44 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default 9MM vs .40 cal

Is there really much of a difference between the two?
Old 03-14-14, 09:33 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not much, the .40 fires a bit heavier bullet - nearly always a plus. The main difference is in the recoil. 9mm isn't quite as bad making follow up shots a bit quicker. 9mm ammo is a bit cheaper and easier to find in bulk if you like lots of practice - also a plus! I don't own a .40 but I have a 9mm, my "heavy" gun is a .45 so I really don't have the need for the .40. If you're going to teach your girlfriend to shoot it, she'd probably be happier shooting the 9mm (did I really just say that).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 09:45 PM   #3
MallenManson

boogie....it's for me, you ***! lol

Really batting a few things around right now.
I did see on an ammo site earlier, that I can get .40 cal just a hair cheaper than 9MM.

I've been loking at a Steyr .40 that will accept a 9MM slide and clip
Old 03-14-14, 10:27 PM   #4
lilmule

The slide and clip wont set one back as much as another complete pistol,yet one can only shoot one or the other not both,like shooter and backup.
The 9mm has less kick,the 40 and 45 are a lot alike in guns of same weight,the 40 has more muzzle rise and the 45 tad more push back,have shot both in a hipoint a very hefty handgun with low recoil ammo either one is a stopper,FBi and other agencies have gone to 40 as more penetration,over 45 versus tad more ammo in a 9mm.
So its all in your realm and what you desire.In any light,compact made the 40 is a handfull and not something to go range shooting with other than to keep proficient.
I have a 45 night stand jockey,carry a 9x18 mak(pa63) as much smaller and lighter,and with less clothing a mere 32 acp but with proven euro ammo not whimpy 130 fpe american.The 130 wont even function the slide on my 1914 royal,with sellier and bellot 205 fpe it will penetrate 13 in.So caliber isnt everything,being able to recover shoot again and accuracy.
FBi stats also have the mere 22lr as having more one shot kills,its due to those thus armed normally aim at the head,a guy with a small cannon aims at center body mass.
Cheap ammo is not always the way to go either,for self defense I use ammo that is expensive,practice with cheap.Want real cheap buy russian like Wolf,or surplus corossive military. Is it a good alternative to have a gun that fires both yes,me id rather have two models same gun,one in each caliber,versus one that shoots either or.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 10:36 PM   #5
MallenManson

Thanks, Mule!

The 40 I'm looking at, through reviews, has very little recoil, across all calibers, which Is why I'm actually looking at the 40.

Personally, I feel if you can't kill an intruder with a 9, which generally has a bigger mag, and less recoil, than a heavier weapon, then you're screwed either way lol

The option of having both the 9 and .40 in the same gun just seems to be a plus
Old 03-14-14, 10:45 PM   #6
lilmule

Quite a few full size handguns are like that,recoil wise as not super light compacts.
A few that are compacts that also fit that would be an xds at top of the list.Mostly due to grip and angle.
I as well have looked into multiple caliber weapons like a new frontier ar15 lower and a 22lr upper as well as a 5.56.In most pistols however the upper or slide comes apart easier and will have a lesser powered spring for the lesser caliber,yet might just fit in the larger caliber so dont mix them up.The germans in ww2 supplied a lesser spring for their 9mm so they could shoot 380 if need be,lesser spring would or could be a bad mistake with the strong ammo.
SAMMi pressures of the 40 far out ceed the 9mm
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 11:32 PM   #7
keithdog

Mike, I carried a .40 for years. I have sold that .40 and now carry a 9mm. I did this for a few reasons. One, I fell in love with the S&W Shield 9mm. It is a great carry gun. Easy to conceal, feels great in the hand, has minimal recoil and is accurate as all get out. It also has never failed to fire for me, ever! The .40 has a hell of a bark and recoil is definatly greater. When you look at balistic tests from bullets fired into a gel block, there isn't all that much difference between the two. Both have more than enough adaquate power to get the job done. With the 9mm having less recoil, and accurate follow up shots being much easier with the 9mm, I went that route. Some of these new 9mm loads comming out are just plain wicked. The hole created by both isn't all that different either really. Both can be devistating. What is most important is how well you place your shot. I think it's easier to control the 9mm for accuracy. The round I carry is the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel, 124 Grain +P Jacketed Hollow Point. God forbid I would have to actually use this to defend myself, but if I did, I have all the confidence in the world it would quickly do it's job. My old .40 was a great gun, but heavy and bulky by todays standards. This new Shield I got is so easy to carry discreetly, and much lighter. I would strongly advise you spend some time in a gun forums that I often visit. There are many gun professionals there who really know their stuff. I've learned a lot from them. It's called The Firing Line forums at thefiringline.com. It's set up very much like this forums. Check it oout and also get advice from there before buying. You be surprised what you will discover there.
Old 03-15-14, 08:13 AM   #8
MallenManson

Great info Keith!
Thanks!
Old 03-15-14, 08:38 AM   #9
MallenManson

I'm likin that forum already.

Findin lots of info on the gun I'm interested in!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.