Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-05, 11:22 PM   #1
smalltcklebox
BassFishin.Com Member

Default how to fish jitterbug

pretty new to fishin. don't know how to fish jitterbug.figured like a popper but what is an effective way to fish? tried jerking it but seems to come out of water and wire wraps around back hooks.am i yanking to hard or do i need to reel in slowly?just don't know.any info well appreciated

Last edited by smalltcklebox; 07-26-05 at 12:01 AM.
smalltcklebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 12:12 AM   #2
guacomole
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Do a stop and go retrieve, jitterbugs arent designed for popping, the cup will make plenty of noise if you just do a normal retrieve. Reel it in a few cranks, let it pause, repeat.
guacomole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 01:38 AM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you can also use the chunk-n-wind method if the fish are wanting a faster retrieve.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 09:48 AM   #4
fishininMich.
BassFishin.Com Member

Use a stop and go retrieve. You can try reeling it in fast or slow, see what the fish want. If you reel it in slow it will make more sound and vibration than if you reel it in fast. Reel it in for a couple seconds and then stop and start back up. Most of the time they will hit it when you stop.
Old 07-26-05, 11:30 AM   #5
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Find out what the fish want. Either stop and go, like these guys said, or just a slow steady retrieve.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 03:56 PM   #6
bamabassin21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to bamabassin21

Just reel it in and try differnt techniecs youll figure it out just listen to the fish
Old 07-26-05, 07:38 PM   #7
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Jitterbug is far and away my #1 topwater. You've received good advice. My personal preference is to retrieve it steadily at what I'd describe as a slow to medium speed. Add split rings and replace the hooks if you want to up the chance for a solid hookup.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 09:06 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
The Jitterbug is far and away my #1 topwater. You've received good advice. My personal preference is to retrieve it steadily at what I'd describe as a slow to medium speed. Add split rings and replace the hooks if you want to up the chance for a solid hookup.
I know we both love the Jitterbug, and I must say that the split rings, and changing the hooks has "NEVER" been an issue with me. I don't have that many lost fish on them. I do prefer the 5/8oz size though, which is bigger. I check the hooks to make sure they are sharp, but I have never had a problem with hooksets with these lures of any size right out of the box. Now there are some lures that I think you do help yourself by adding split rings to them, but IMHO, the Jitterbug isn't one of them

Lizards
Old 07-26-05, 10:07 PM   #9
smalltcklebox
BassFishin.Com Member

thanxs guys bout the info on jitterbug.been doing it completely wrong today.now i know.new member and first forum.thanxs for the prompt replies.ill try technique 1st thing tommorrow
smalltcklebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 11:07 PM   #10
KenDammit

just tonight around dusk I had one blow up on an all black one using the steady retrieve as mentioned. It works pretty well from what I can tell. I'm running into a lot of slow biting though, so all I caught was that one fish today.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 11:24 PM   #11
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I love it how they blow up on that jitterbug. Its unlike any other top water to me.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-05, 06:12 PM   #12
AdirondackJack
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
I know we both love the Jitterbug, and I must say that the split rings, and changing the hooks has "NEVER" been an issue with me. I don't have that many lost fish on them. I do prefer the 5/8oz size though, which is bigger. I check the hooks to make sure they are sharp, but I have never had a problem with hooksets with these lures of any size right out of the box. Now there are some lures that I think you do help yourself by adding split rings to them, but IMHO, the Jitterbug isn't one of them

Lizards
Gotta give it up to the BUG! Awesome topwater bait, and the slow retrieve always worked great for me. Pike love the bug too.
AdirondackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 01:00 AM   #13
LoneRanger93
BassFishin.Com Member

I just went out tonight and threw out a jitterbug when it got dark out, few times tried reeling in steadily, then pausing every few cranks, and tried reeling it in at different speeds. but no luck! I'm fairly new to the game, is this bait supposed to be used on/around cover? and I figure its better at night when the fish will come to the surface to feed...
LoneRanger93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 02:26 AM   #14
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Good Luck on your next fishin trip

Try it VERY early morning(I'm talkin the sun isn't up yet) if you are having no luck at your fishin hole at night. Top water baits are not for the afternoon either. Fish only take these when they are feeding actively(as in patrolling the coast line like the coast guard after cocaine). Most of the time the fish will strike on the pause, probly 17 of 20 fish will be taken when the lure isn't moving. 60% of my hook-ups come from the drop. My ego tells me this is because my casting is accurate and my brain knew where the fish was. Anyhow when you first cast it let it sit there for 15-30 seconds. Then start a stop/go/stop/go retrieve. I believe these kinds of lures where made to appear as confused/disorientated prey, not one a clear path toward a set goal.

Just try to be stupid like a fish and you will catch more.

In fact if you want to feel really special when you catch a huge bass, try making your own lure....I have turned many a stick into a mighty fish catcher with a few scrapes to get bark off and adding the hooks of course. And when these home-made 30 cent lures get stuck in the trees you will do a whole lot less cursing.

I just got a digital camera 2 days ago....already paying itself off. If no one gets pissed I plan on putting all my "big fish of the day" on my site and linking it on the post I made.

Last edited by Cuban_Cigar; 07-29-05 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Felt like talkin more
Cuban_Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-05, 02:27 AM   #15
Spandextros
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish it near cover in areas close to shore, I think it mimics a mouse or something crossing the water. I love fishing it above weeds that don't quite hit the surface, usually a slow steady retrieve or a stop-n-go works well. I very rarely hook bass aroung midday with it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.