Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-11, 04:56 PM   #26
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hey Waffle That's interesting as hell! My mind is crawling with questions, but for starters have you spent much time using that rod? Is this a new concept or been around awhile? If it's been around why only 1 co. making production models? Approx. cost for a typical 6'6" or 7" mh custom rod? Why would I NOT want one?
Spiral wrapping was first used in Chicago as early as 1913 if I remember right...Used on large saltwater rods for seabass (dont quote me on the date,its been a long time since I read the article but it was early 1900's)

Its an old concept for sure...I would assume we dont see it in production rods due to demand and labor/time on guide set up..But Im sure theres other reasons also...It hard to get people to try something their not use to.

Ive used this rod for over a year now....I will not build any ''tip up'' application rods any other way for myself..They cast super smooth (with micros ime) and playing a large fish is like driving a caddy...No torque on your hand(s).....

I still prefer conventional set up on ''tip down'' applications....With tip up your line wants to rest naturally on the bottom of the guides..So spiral wrapping is great for that!....On tip down,your line rides the top,so I prefer my guides all on top..But thats my preference.

Do they cast further and add more sensistivity?.....I cant tell a difference.
The only and main purpose is to eliminate rod twist.

(edit)
correction on the spiral wrap origin/date

Posted by rod maker Ralph O'Quinn

''John S. Scanlan of Chicago patented the spiral wrap in 1909. It is the only patent of record. Joy Dunlap, a rod builder of quite some reknown, learned the technique from Chuck Roberts. In deference to Chuck, Joy always marked his rods which used that wrap as "Roberts Wrap by Joy Dunlap". This most probably is where the name "Roberts Wrap" was initiated. Rightfully, the name should be "Scanlan Wrap".
I first reported this in an article in Rodmaker magazine. Volume 3 number 5.

Ralph''

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 12-19-11 at 05:35 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 05:51 PM   #27
kennethdaysale

Would you mind naming a couple of "tip up" presentations and a couple of "tip downs" just to see if we're on the same page. Then I will leave you alone...........thx
Old 12-19-11, 06:03 PM   #28
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Would you mind naming a couple of "tip up" presentations and a couple of "tip downs" just to see if we're on the same page. Then I will leave you alone...........thx
Tip up to me is anything between 10-12oclock rod position.
T-rigs, jigs, spoons,DS,etc.

tip down is below 10 oclock
spinner bait ,cranks, jerk,etc.

in a nutshell.
Old 12-19-11, 06:04 PM   #29
MississippiBoy

Tip up to me would be spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, maybe worms....basically, your rod is pointed up in the air.
Tip down would be crankbaits, jerkbaits, topwaters...rod tip pointed down towards the water.
Old 12-19-11, 06:29 PM   #30
kennethdaysale

Interesting that you guys put spinnerbaits in dif categories. I suppose on any given cast with any given bait rod position might change. If I throw a SB past a log I might start tip down and slowly raise the tip as I got closer to it etc. I'm sure the spiral wrap would still be perfectly suited for this. I cannot imagine however a scenario when I would want to work a spook or jerk bait in any way other than tip down. When worming I want my rod to be @ 10 to give me that much room to drop before the set. On the other hand when cranking I always point tip down with a 90 degree angle between rod tip-line direction. The only time I would raise tip if is I want to run shallower over a hump or something.
Old 12-19-11, 06:44 PM   #31
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Interesting that you guys put spinnerbaits in dif categories.
I noticed that, too. I don't know if I can really say I fish spinnerbaits with the rod either up or down....I'm moving my rod left and right and up and down to get it to run by that particular branch, then up over that one, then back the other way for the last branch.
Old 12-19-11, 06:54 PM   #32
WaffleJaw

What?...Fishermen dont fish technique specific applications the same way!!?!!....Well that's queerer than a football bat!!

Seriously,I dont count little rod raises or lowering as tip up/down...Just how the rod is position throughout most of the presentation.

Like I said,Its just my preference on when I spiral vs when I dont compared to how I fish and work a bait,and how my rod setup responds to that.

I do strongly encourage trying one if you ever get the chance...I know several guys that spiral all their rods regardless of what its for and swear by it.

Oh and for the original topic....Micro guides kick ***.
Old 12-19-11, 07:06 PM   #33
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
What?...Fishermen dont fish technique specific applications the same way!!?!!....Well that's queerer than a football bat!!
Oh and for the original topic....Micro guides kick ***.
That's the funniest observation/post/comment of the day!
Old 12-19-11, 07:20 PM   #34
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have this recurring nightmare where I open up my cardboard tube from Walker, and he's done my new rod in spiraled micros....

I always wake up screaming.

Oh, and by the way, I always fish a spinnerbait with the rod sideways....just like any other reaction bait.
Old 12-19-11, 07:33 PM   #35
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Oh, and by the way, I always fish a spinnerbait with the rod sideways....just like any other reaction bait.
Funny....the only baits that I fish dead ahead, straight line from bait up the line, straight up the rod are soft plastics/jigs and a spinnerbait. I suppose its just something carried over from youth and I've never stopped to ask myself why. On the other hand I would never work a crankbait or topwater etc any way but sideways.
*edit* after some reflection I seem to prefer pointing the rod tip at most baits with a single hook and sideways with any bait with trebles

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 12-20-11 at 12:04 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 07:56 PM   #36
bamabassman

pancakeboy..jsut asking, do oyu always sprial your rods towards the right? or do oyu sprial it whichever way the owner requests.

this goes back to which hand one casts with. i figure if oyu cast with oyur left, the rod should sprial that way, and vice-versa.
Old 12-19-11, 09:02 PM   #37
merc1997
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
i used to have a couple of flipping rods from cabela's with the spiral guides. really loved them. wish companies would still make them that way. they most certainly handle fish better.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 09:10 PM   #38
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
pancakeboy..jsut asking, do oyu always sprial your rods towards the right? or do oyu sprial it whichever way the owner requests.

this goes back to which hand one casts with. i figure if oyu cast with oyur left, the rod should sprial that way, and vice-versa.
I spiral in the direction that the reel handle is on...Keeps the transition guides off the floor when laying the rod down...For the most part....Other than that it doesnt matter,Just how I like it.....I cast /reel with my right hand for what its worth.
Some guys do the opposite than the reel handle to ''balance'' better..I mostly see this on saltwater stuff though....
Old 12-19-11, 09:13 PM   #39
bamabassman

well when and IF i can ever afford one, i would want it to go to the left. remember that ok? lol. maybe by the time i can afford it you and bubba can do me 1 each. i just love ya'lls rods man.
Old 12-20-11, 12:20 AM   #40
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

This is one I built a while back : Micro Spiral

My buddy loves it for shallow cranks and jerkbaits. Like Pancake said, you mostly see this in salt water applications. But I like them for aesthetic. 3 less guides to line up too hahahahaha. But I hear of guys using them more for Flipping and tip up applications. I was reading a Richard Forhan write up about how you get less guides from popping and twisting out from the bone jarring hooksets. Made sense to me. I think if I build a flipping stick, I will go to the acid, revolver, spiral, etc...wrap. I am working off and on a buzzbait and frog rod that are generally tip up and I think I might do the same for them. I usually start with a 0° and have 2 at various angles depending on line travel to the rest at 180°.

I spiral opposite of the reel handle. Bubba's wrong...No, your wrong Colonel Pancake eeeeeeeeeeeeeee. humpth power bomb! Just playing, I had a Water Boy episode. It is in the eye of the beholder on direction.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 12-20-11 at 12:30 AM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 01:53 AM   #41
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post

I spiral opposite of the reel handle. Bubba's wrong...No, your wrong Colonel Pancake eeeeeeeeeeeeeee. humpth power bomb! Just playing, I had a Water Boy episode. It is in the eye of the beholder on direction.
nu-uh!
Old 12-20-11, 12:29 PM   #42
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The line naturally wants to move to the bottom of the rod. Spiral wrapping lets the line follow its natural path resulting in a more stable platform. The weight saved by eliminating a guide or two will improve sensitivity and balnce. Whether or not the difference could be felt in a direct comparison is hard to say.

As for the cost of a custom rod, it's a major misconception that the cost is beyond reach of the average angler. Cost can be largely managed by the amount of "Bling" desired. A straight forward high performance fishing tool can be had without breaking the bank.
Old 12-20-11, 07:02 PM   #43
bamabassman

ok, weird question maybe. but something i jsut thought of. does the line ever get twisted form a sprial rod? may be a non issue question. brain fart i had.
Old 12-20-11, 07:19 PM   #44
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok, weird question maybe. but something i jsut thought of. does the line ever get twisted form a sprial rod? may be a non issue question. brain fart i had.
No the line still flows like natural/normal....It just takes a fun'r ride.

Another issue that is brought up is the line spooling up on one side of the spool on retrieves.....So people would offset the stripper guide (first guide from reel) to compensate...Mine are at a ''0'' axis (normal position) and Ive never had any issues.
Old 12-20-11, 07:20 PM   #45
bamabassman

cool, that was another question i had. thanks pancakeson.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.