Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-05-05, 11:08 PM   #1
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikey
Default hey look at this

hey my uncle just showed me this if u get a pipe cleaner and dip it in scent for fish ,and wrap the pipe cleaner on back treble of a crankbait ur crank bait atracts more bass oviously cuz of the scent but yeah try it if u want plz let me know if it works cuz i want to try when i get my tackle and fishing pole
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 11:12 PM   #2
OKie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to OKie
Default Re: hey look at this

good idea i'll try it.
OKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-05, 11:32 PM   #3
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

plz tell em if it works
Old 06-05-05, 11:43 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ya, thats a fairly old technique. it will work, but wont make to much of a difference, cause the bass dont get much time to look or even really get into smell with your crankbait anyways, but its not a bad idea.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 12:54 PM   #5
redneck13
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to redneck13

Good idea.Bet it would really help on a slower moving presentation such as a topwater lure.
redneck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 02:12 PM   #6
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

[quote author=matt link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#2 date=06/05/05 at 22:32:53]plz tell em if it works[/quote]
It would be kind of hard to know if it really works because you don't know if you still would have caught the fish without the added scent. But if you have more confidence doing it then do it.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 02:16 PM   #7
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats true i did not think about that ,and do u guys think this would work like before u start fishing ur favorite fishing spot wat if u dropped like 4 drops of the scent in the water if is not wavy do u think it would attract more fish like when hunting somethimes u set up a feeder.
Old 06-06-05, 04:28 PM   #8
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to basshunter205

scent is probably one of the most overrated aspects of bass fishing. and no, dropping like 4 drops of scent in teh water isn't going to make your spot better. i can guarantee you that. Bass feed by sight and lateral line. Throwing something shiny or something that makes noise will work alot better than something covered in scent. All that scent stuff is just a gimmick.
basshunter205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 05:53 PM   #9
madmarty
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to madmarty

[quote author=basser_37 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#7 date=06/06/05 at 15:28:09]scent is probably one of the most overrated aspects of bass fishing. and no, dropping like 4 drops of scent in teh water isn't going to make your spot better. i can guarantee you that. Â*Bass feed by sight and lateral line. Throwing something shiny or something that makes noise will work alot better than something covered in scent. Â*All that scent stuff is just a gimmick.[/quote]

I don't beleive scents attract bass but I do believe they cause a bass to hold on longer. The only time I use scents is when fishing soft plastics. But like I said if you have more confidence in it then use them.
madmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 06:28 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i agree 100% at what lockjaw just said. and no, dropping scent in what do sqaut, other then maybe attract a bass to your boat, which wouldnt do anything because the fish would see you. i dont use scent much, usually only on tough days. i buy worms with a scent in them, usually salt.
Old 06-06-05, 08:49 PM   #11
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

i agree on the holding on longer thing with soft plastics. I think garlic is pretty nuts. Unless theres any eye-talian bass in the Miss that i dunno about.
Old 06-06-05, 09:07 PM   #12
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to sabass

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#3 date=06/05/05 at 22:43:22]ya, thats a fairly old technique. it will work, but wont make to much of a difference, cause the bass dont get much time to look or even really get into smell with your crankbait anyways, but its not a bad idea.[/quote]

you are underestimating their sense of smell, and you are underestimating how much they utilize their sense of smell for feeding. if they are on the trail of that crankbait and you've got scent on it, all the more reason for a bass to keep persuit, besides, a fast retrieve isn't the only successful retrieve for a crankbait.
sabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 09:12 PM   #13
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=lockjaw link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#8 date=06/06/05 at 16:53:36]

I don't beleive scents attract bass but I do believe they cause a bass to hold on longer. The only time I use scents is when fishing soft plastics. But like I said if you have more confidence in it then use them.[/quote]

I'll have to disagree as I tend to get more strikes on a freshly squirted lure than one that has been cast 10 times or more since last squirt. Besides, no use in waisting scent on soft plastics, that is what the salt is impregnated in them for, I tend to use scent for my hard/er lures.
Old 06-06-05, 09:33 PM   #14
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#9 date=06/06/05 at 17:28:19] i dont use scent much, usually only on tough days. i buy worms with a scent in them, usually salt.[/quote]
salt isn't scent. scent will be rinsed through the olifactory glands on a fish allowing them to smell it. This is why scent is more effective than salt as it will leave a scent trail. Scent isn't needed on a plastic as it is fished slower, has a longer presentation in FRONT of the fish, while a crankbait or other hard bait is typically fished faster and puts out vibration and sound, and scent if you added it to let the fish chase down the lure.
Old 06-06-05, 10:15 PM   #15
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, you seem to be well versed as far as bass go, but i would think a person like you would understand bass don't chase lures. They're not like a muskie or pike which follow lures back to the boat. If bass want to eat something, they arent going to chase it for an extended period of time, say, the time it takes for them to recognize this scent coming off a crankbait. That bass sees that crank and the thought goes into his small brain saying, "That baitfish must die." Bass will kill an injured minnow just for sheer sake of killing. For example, go to a hatchery. Throw in minnows, and watch the bass eat. Even when they're full, they will still kill any wounded baitfish that come anywhere near them. this goes the same for living baitfish that come close, although a cold water temprature that leaves the bass sluggish may impair this. I really don't think you can say you get more strikes on a freshly squirted lure. Unless you and a partner threw the exact same lure and you caught a larger number of fish, i wouldnt tend to believe your opinion on the matter.

I think anymore this scent stuff just gives some people confidence in their presentation over anything. I have a friend who insists on dousing everything in the stuff and i usually outfish him. However, it floats his boat. I'm not trying to say you're a complete moron, but i think your argument is seriously flawed.
Old 06-06-05, 10:19 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i disagree to the last one(from rodman)....they do get a long look at it, and sometimes they dont hit it. with the added scent they are now smelling and seeing the lure...making for better odds....you just said that scent is a determining factor, looks like in that last post YOU are underestimatiting scent and with faster lures alot of times it is a reaction strike. the way i see it, a live baitfish doesnt put off loads and loads of scent, so why should the lure? and with salt, some of the grains will come off in the pursuit, and the bass will pick this up, making it a scent, i get lures with salt impregnated in it, and with it on the outside....and i also put salt on any oof my soft baits. btw, you could of put all that in one post instead of making multiple post for one or 2 of my posts. oh ya, in one of your posts you say ''no sense in wasting scent on soft plastics, that is what the salt is impregnated for'' if salt isnt a scent, why are you saying that? like i said before, some things work in different places, i dont use scent much, and it doesnt make a difference with a catch rate....i do use it on Â*tough days...thats the only time, and it works ok there. what might work for you up there doesnt have to work for me down here, i do just fine not using scent, and you do fine using it...., it doesnt matter so much down here, it matters up there. that is good......i dont need to use it down here.
Old 06-06-05, 10:25 PM   #17
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

soft plastics defintely get looked at for a while. Rarely do you get a reaction strike on a plastic worm or tube. maybe a fluke or a swimming jig. But like with crankbaits, unless you're in ultra clear water, the fish isn't going to see that crankbait unless it's right on top of him. he'll attack in the direction of the lure because it may or may not be rattling and the vibrations given off of the lure are detected by the fish's lateral line. scent and hardbaits don't belong in the same sentance.
Old 06-06-05, 10:31 PM   #18
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

hope thats not directed to me, cause that is what im tryin to say...i dont beklieve scent is needed with hard baits. i dont use it much at all, but if i do use it, it will be on soft baits. and i also believe that you dont get reaction strikes on soft plastics. im just tryin to clear things up here.
Old 06-06-05, 10:37 PM   #19
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

you're right, they aren't the type to chase, they are oppertunistic, however, there are times when visibility is lower than the distance they swim, therefore, noise, vibration, and scent are key.

[quote author=basser_37 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#14 date=06/06/05 at 21:15:49]Well, you seem to be well versed as far as bass go, but i would think a person like you would understand bass don't chase Â*lures. They're not like a muskie or pike which follow lures back to the boat. If bass want to eat something, they arent going to chase it for an extended period of time, say, the time it takes for them to recognize this scent coming off a crankbait. Â*That bass sees that crank and the thought goes into his small brain saying, "That baitfish must die." Bass will kill an injured minnow just for sheer sake of killing. For example, go to a hatchery. Throw in minnows, and watch the bass eat. Even when they're full, they will still kill any wounded baitfish that come anywhere near them. Â*this goes the same for living baitfish that come close, although a cold water temprature that leaves the bass sluggish may impair this. I really don't think you can say you get more strikes on a freshly squirted lure. Unless you and a partner threw the exact same lure and you caught a larger number of fish, i wouldnt tend to believe your opinion on the matter.

I think anymore this scent stuff just gives some people confidence in their presentation over anything. I have a friend who insists on dousing everything in the stuff and i usually outfish him. However, it floats his boat. I'm not trying to say you're a complete moron, but i think Â*your argument is seriously flawed.[/quote]
Old 06-06-05, 10:42 PM   #20
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Heck some scent doesn't hurt if you have a odor on your hand that you are unaware of, like gas , or some skank you hoed the night before.......it happens :
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 10:43 PM   #21
sabass
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=basser_37 link=board=news;num=1118023691;start=0#14 date=06/06/05 at 21:15:49] I'm not trying to say you're a complete moron, but i think Â*your argument is seriously flawed.[/quote]

being that this is a topic that technically can't be proven as we can't read the mind of a bass just yet, for you to say my argument is seriously flawed, just proves, you have issues. My argument that scent helps catch fish is just that. Until you can come up with evidence that bass WILL NOT bite a lure with scent, or will bite at a reduced rate, I will not consider you a moron, but until then you're a moron, not a COMPLETE MORON, but a moron. Show me the evidence and I will change my opinion.
Old 06-06-05, 10:46 PM   #22
Mikey
BassFishin.Com Member

hey im srry about starting this stuff my bad
Old 06-06-05, 10:51 PM   #23
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

what you all have to understand is what works in your lake might not work in my lake..no need to call anybody names, we are all having a good discussion. i think scents dont help much, you do. end of story, no need to argue. i dont even know why we are having this conversation, anything anybody says isnt gunna change my mind about scents or how i think senkos are a waste of money. so, its a pointless arguement.
Old 06-06-05, 10:53 PM   #24
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Ok heres my 2 cents on scents...ever notice that back in the 80's or 90's marketing people had tv anglers squirting the goo on everything,
I can see scent on a pig n jig or worm, where the bass bites, holds on and either rejects it or the angler sets the hook. the scent may smell like something its eaten before, we really dont know what a crawdad raw taste like and I sure as heck am not going to lick some berkely power scent to compare.
With the crankbait and spinner bait, I am sure some scent doesn't hurt, but lets face it gang, when they hit a lure with 2 trebles or even three , or the tail end of the spinnerbait with one, that bass is going to help set the hook on itself as well as with some help from the angler.
One thing to keep in mind is that there is no such thing as a "Fish Attractant!" except when it comes to "chumming the water, usually done while salt water fishing." Fish Attractants do not attract anything except for the angler who buys them off of the self or orders them from their favorite bait and tackle outlet, and a "Fish Formula" is no more than a "cover-up" for an unwanted taste that had probably contaminated your bait from something you may have had on your hands or what ever the bait was kept in (the old musty smell?) A fish formula is much like when the deer hunter puts scents on his clothes to "cover-up" his human scent so the deer won't smell him walking through the woods. The same principal goes for the formulas that are made to use for fishing, they're simply just a "Cover-up!" but they're still needed because if a fish accepts the taste of a scent (or flavor) it will hold on to it a few moments longer than if the fish didn't like the taste, in which it would spit it right out in a split second (if it bites the bait at all.)

Let's say for example that you were going to go fishing one day and on the way to the boat launch you stopped to gas up your boat. While you were putting gas into your boat you spilled some gas on your hands and didn't have a place to wash them after you paid for the gas. Next, you put your boat into the water and go to your favorite spot. When you get to your fishing hole you grab your rod and reel, pick up your plastic worm (just for a bait example) and put it on your hook and cast it into the water. When you do all that you find yourself just sitting and waiting for quite some time but you can't figure out why the fish aren't biting the bait, especially when you know that there are fish in the area (why?) or the fish just short-strike the bait and let go (could this be a cause for the short-strikes?) Probably the biggest reason for this to happen is because you have contaminated the plastic worm (or whatever bait you may be using) with the scent of the gas on your hands from putting the gas in your boat on the way to the ramp. You see, a bass (and many other species of fish) can scent approximately 1/200th of a drop of a substance in 100 gallons of water. Now if their sense of taste and smell are that acute, they can surly taste the gas that rubbed off of your hands and got on the bait you cast into the water or any other foreign scent or residue that may have been on your hands such as sun lotion, ingredients from something you may have ate, a after shave lotion (or perfume hopefully used by female anglers), rust, must, mold, or just about anything you can imagine. This is why many companies have scented or salted products made to help prevent this problem, but even these can get contaminated...Here's a money saving tip for you; if you buy the expensive formulated baits that can get contaminated from something on your hands, why not buy the inexpensive "more for the buck" plastics and just put formula on them? You will get the same results!!!

jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 10:55 PM   #25
basshunter205
BassFishin.Com Member

bassfisher02-nothing towards you intended, directing it to rodman

rodman-chill out homey! you're gonna have a heart attack fuming over an opinion. I'm just telling you what i think of your side of the story. No need to go ballistic. we were just having a good healthy debate and presenting our own experiences with scent and now you're taking it personal. I'm just saying i dont believe that minners give off that huge amount of scent and hardbaits with scent are completely worthless, IMO. and how does the scent stick to hard plastic? hard plastic or metal generally doesn't retain scent when put in water? or i have been sitting in the sun for too long?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.